Restoration Inspiration – One of the nicest custom street X around …and I’m tired

Day-am

That is the X of my dreams!
Matt, please reconsider when I hit the Mega-Bucks!!! :laugh:

Matt - Do you think that same intercooler design/geometry could be used for the k20 with a supercharger or turbo charged? Or just not enough room in the wheel well?

That is really awesome BTW....

Tim, why yes it can. And has been...

This was an air to water intercooler in the last K20 we did a while back. No reason to think an air to air wouldn't be effective as well.

K20-SC-Intercooler-small.jpg

-M

I don't blame ya Matt! If I went through all this trouble...

so a client could hang this car on a wall, I'd stop building for clients as well.

But what about the guys here that actually DRIVE them? I don't think WE should be punished for the misdeed of another...

(HA - sort of...)

That is absolutely phenomenal!!!!

That is a very nice job and I appreciate you sharing some of the details. Hope to see the car some day.

Amazing

That. Is. Amazing. Seriously, this is one of the most awesome cars I have seen in a very long time, inside and out. I wonder if I might see this on the road here in Dallas.

Very Noice

"We fully expected to need to use an aftermarket controller, but decided to try the stock control electronics first. It ended up behaving much better than we anticipated."

If you do go down that aftermarket ECU path with better pistons and more boost have a look at these Fiat parts bin bits for a totally 'stock' look. Plus the timing accuracy off the crank is far better than all the dizzy's, mounts/trigger wheels I tried.

Punto parts but fit the UnoT/1500 block, crank snout. # numbers in the IMG file name

Small enough to be cheap freight out of Europe, finding them can be a challenge though.

Supporto Con paraolio Motore Fiat Punto GT Turbo

7713365_7713364_7771950_SUPPORT_WITH_SEAL_ENGINE.jpg

Crank Wheel Punto on the right ( 1300 SOHC on the left )

Punto_Crank_Puley_7713484.jpg

OEM CAS sensor should be easy enough and its a stable bracket/air gap to 9.5K RPM for a nice clean signal, but if you want the part number happy to dig it up

I wonder what that'd be like with a managed 14 PSI and forged slugs.

Wet your pants time I'm sure, but that rubber would help stick nicely.

Nice work BTW, very nice.

Sandy

Hey Sandy,

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, there's a lot of factory bin parts that can be made to work, and work better, that's one thing that you all in other markets have a little better time at.

Here in North America, there's nothing, everything has to be imported and any build is 'book smart' engineering, in that there are no practical examples of stock assemblies to study or examine before crossing your fingers and ordering parts you hope will be compatible with one another.

Given FIAT's penchant for subtle changes in engineered items that one wouldn't think would ever change, its a trial-and-error approach when trying to mix and match parts.

My hats off to anyone who has done that kind of successful frankenmotor building.

We did in-fact apply forged JE low compression inverted dish pistons so the car is ready to go "stage 2" at a later date if desired.

-M

All I can say is magnificent.

It's good to know that you're going to blow off the big bucks celebrities and focus on those of us with modest means.

Mike

Air to air cooler

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/2407/7U4gEm.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/1003/d8YrBI.jpg

I can confirm Air to Air does work, my application uses a 400x300mm intercooler core with 2.5" in and outlet pipes, in the place of the fuel tank. I also decided to use a fan to draw air through from under the car.

My Motec Data logger on the dyno was reading 40degree intake temps under boost conditions. The problem with the SOHC seems to be heat soak into the plenum so unless you are running methanol I don't think you can solve the intake temps at cruise or ever get optimum intake temps.

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/819/Bk2mjJ.jpg

This was the previous setup I was running which as a 170mmx210mm intercooler with 2" piping this was seeing 75degree intake temps. With the new intercooler we have seen a 12Hp increase and a slight improvement in it's down low response. So it's a significant improvement in intake temps which is what I was after.

The next stage will involve some trick intake spacers to reduce the heat soak issue. We already have 3 stages of heat shielding happening.

Matt,
I understand you are tired... but I'm sure you have the satisfaction of accomplished duty.

Your team and you I have done a great work "Bravo".

Back