latest Split Pea fiasco aka rookie does head gasket

pdxgeo

True Classic
Yep. Finally got the trans out fixed and back in. Got the new radiator in. Corrected a coolant leak after 3 tries. Latest fun? Blown head gasket. Worked 6 plus hours today and finally got it out. out. 3 of the combustion chambers look very cruddy with build up and the 4th is polished clean by the coolant.
Could not get it to budge. Spent most of the time searching and or buying new and different tools to try. Scratched the head surface a little bit but not bad considering the tool that finally did the trick was a huge crowbar. Now that the head is out is there anything else i should do while im at it? I am very close to being ready to sell this beautiful green wagon. I dont have the time it takes to make and keep it a daily driver.

hang in there!

Don't give up yet. You are taking care of the worst issues and so close the fruits of your labor.

Have the head skimmed, clean up the block, check for warp (straight edge corner to corner, tap the holes and slap it back together.

Now, make sure to coat the studs/bolts with anti-seize, it will make having to do this again in the far future an easier task.

However, if you have the tools, double check the TDC marks on the flywheel and front pully with a dial gauge and the pistons. I have found they tend to be just a hair different.

Good luck!

Thanks Eric thats what i was wondering about. I dont have the tools or know how but now is the time to learn right?

18033154976_87c07cec96_c.jpg

18060546951_a470cd9e27_c.jpg

What's the best way to clean the gasket surface on the block? I will take the head to a machine shop to be cleaned and skimmed if needed.

Block cleaning...

Shops use a mild scotchbrite pad on an air drill, I use rags, solvent and very carefully, a razor blade.

Ditto to the piston tops.

Don't use Scotchbrite

A better choice for cleaning the block is to use 3M Roloc discs. Scotchbrite fibers can get into your oil and destroy your bearings in short order.

Either way you should change your oil before startup and again after you've warmed it up, let it cool down completely, and retorqued the head.

-Dean

thanks gang...

I'm feeling better about things now that the swelling on my finger has gone down lol

With luck and perseverance it should go all back together right?

Back