Electric Bikes

htfx19

Herzel Frenkel
What do you guys do about kids of any age running dangerously anywhere in the city.
Do you have any city laws Re these bikes?
Thanks

Hi Herzel,

I worked for a company called BionX which makes a great electric hub motor/system for bicycles. They're a LOT of fun to ride... www.bionx.ca - assembled in Canada and was part of Magna International for quite some time (Magna is one of the largest automotive suppliers in the world, I still work for Magna but in a different division now). The BionX system is quite simply, fantastic!

If you're referring to the scooter looking "bicycles" that are practically everywhere, well.. then this is a different story. I applaud that people get out of their cars and use an alternate method of travel, but people need to follow the rules of the road and be safe - motorized or not, everyone needs to be smart.

Electric bicycles have specific rules/laws here (as well as globally) and are speed limited here to 32km/h (throttle is allowed), and in Europe to 25km/h (typically no throttle). The BionX is unique because it has proportional assist - the feeling is incredible.. trust me! I had one for many years, but gave it to a friend who doesn't drive and she uses it to commute.

I like cycling in general, I own a beautiful carbon fiber Italian road bike (Wilier Mortirolo with Campagnolo gruppo), and a basic hybrid bicycle to putt around with (the hybrid had the BionX). But cyclists don't need motors to get into trouble! heh..

Oh, lastly - you must be minimum age of 16 to ride one here - helmet is mandatory as well as safety equipment (lamps, bell, reflectors, tire size, etc..) Riding offenses count against your driving license, assuming you have one.

Try one out! I think BionX is sold near you, and I bet you'll never want to put it down :)

Here's a system I worked on for Smart (Mercedes Benz) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvcKxhSgfEU

Back