watch out

mikemo90

True Classic
I know this is super silly, but
do not try to clean your license plates in the dishwasher!!!
the plates for red demon were looking a little dinghy and thought that since you can wash embellished dinner plates , no prob.
uh wrong. the numbers and letters are vinyl and have the tendency to shrink or fall off. now I have to paint them back on. pita. and they were still dirty, so to the powder coat oven they went and they look good so far, but as of yet I haven't finished the painting.
live and learn and pass it on.
mikemo

plates

excellent job my friend
you have instilled a little faith in that other project on the back burner:thumbsup:
mikemo

OK Mikey (and any interested others) Here's how its done...

by the pros, or by yourself...

1. BLOCK SAND your damaged plate on the front side.

2. Turn the plate on its back side and gently push out any dents. Use a small block of wood or plastic as a tool as most are made out of aluminum and usually hand pressure is all that is required. Block sand the front again to assure the RAISED AREAS are FLAT and there are no dings, especially on the raised surfaces.

3. Paint the RAISED areas with a few coats of paint that will eventually become the RAISED color allowing it to cover all and with NO effort in just trying to paint the raised numbers themselves. "Mist" a light coat of this color all over the entire plate so there will be an easy "transition" and allow it to dry thoroughly... 24 hours would be best!

4. Now paint the entire plate with a couple of coats of the BACKGROUND color and let it dry thoroughly... again another day would be best.

5. Carefully BLOCK SAND the RAISED areas until the first color shows through and if you assured they were flat to begin with, this will prove to be easy.

6. Clear-coat the entire plate with a compatible gloss and they will look like they just came from San Quentin.

Lastly... I like Lacquers the best... and its best to use ONE brand for the two colors and clear-coat.

plates

oooh I knew you had a sorted past.... did you meet my dad???????
so blow the blue.... than the white and the block sand the numbers and letters what about the red California on top?
I already put them in the oven (not in the kitchen) and powder coated them in what looks like the proper white, and to re-paint at this time doesn't seem prudent.
I would appreciate you wisdom Jedi master!! with the usual tongue in cheek response. do take your time tho, as I haven't fully recovered from your last post. doctor says I will be fine as long as I don't have a laughing fit for more than 3 hours. you slay me!!:thumbsup:
mikemo

Oh... so these are late model plates...

oooh I knew you had a sorted past.... did you meet my dad???????

Well... yes and no... ya see, sometimes we would "share" during conjugal visits... and well, you know... he just might not be your Dad...

so blow the blue.... than the white and the block sand the numbers and letters what about the red California on top?

Well... yes and no... again... Ya see, ya gotta have a RECESSED background in order for this to work. (HA!) For the flush CA script a vinyl transfer will be needed and the script itself is very close to the "Brush Script" found on most real computers (that work).

California

Sorry, but I don't have the fonts available here...

I already put them in the oven (not in the kitchen) and powder coated them in what looks like the proper white, and to re-paint at this time doesn't seem prudent.

Prudent? Well prudent or not ya did it all backwords! Powder-coated the plates... Geez Loueez!

Now you can start over and do it RIGHT this time. Paint the numbers BLUE, then top it with WHITE... block sand them through and clear-coat over it. Leave the oven OFF!

I would appreciate you wisdom Jedi master!! with the usual tongue in cheek response. do take your time tho, as I haven't fully recovered from your last post. doctor says I will be fine as long as I don't have a laughing fit for more than 3 hours. you slay me!!:thumbsup:
mikemo

Don't try and dump this all on me, Buster... yur the one with the messed up life, I'm just holding up a mirror... Oh crap, I got it backwards!

I'm the one that's messed up... so who are you anyways?

Back