"A Fiat X1/9 is a serious, practical car"

EricH

Eric Hamilton
A few days ago I ran into a guy who was wrenching on a (stunningly original) Lotus Europa. We got to talking, and I mentioned that when I was out of school (back in the Carter administration) I couldn't afford a Europa, but I really wanted a mid-engine car so I ended up buying an X1/9.

He looked at me very thoughtfully, and then said "Good choice. A Fiat X1/9 is a serious practical car that you can use as a daily driver".

Unlikely that any of us will ever hear THAT again... :woot:

I drive mine daily in rain, shine and even snow. I live in the north of England. I also have no garage, so I just do my best to look after the car. In terms of it being practical, I can fit the whole family shop in it, I can fit my musical equipment into it, and at Christmas, I remove the roof and go to buy a 7ft tree. I think it's fun to be as quirky and original with usage as the design itself!

I also love not having too many passengers...

Indeed on all counts Eric! We drove ours for 10 years straight...

for 110K miles to work and back... T-Boning and totaling a Honda Accord back in '84 for a $3000 repair of the nose-piece, bumper and such at the dealer.

We don't and didn't have such extremes in weather but it did cook in the sun all those years until a WP seal went out... and I didn't know of the access panel at the time... and with 6 other cars to maintain... it got parked for 7 years.

I go to clean out the garage and WHAA-LA! Under all the crap was this P.O.S. and we decided to give it to a charity. NOT ONE of them would take it back in '98 or so. So sitting outside again it seemed to gather some interest from looky-lou's and kids... so I thought I would sell it and if I got it running. I try again and see if I could get that damn pump out. It was then I found the rear access panel and ten minutes later it was in my hands!

A call and a trip to Pep Boy(!) got me a pump and battery for $100 bucks and after oiling down the cylinders, turning the engine over and squirting gas down the carb... it lit right off and was running on 7 year old gas! Off now to the local gas station and 7-11 for FI cleaner and a fill up... all while it was idling.

Being "adventurous" at the time... I started to drive it home and decided... "What the hell, over..." and took off up into the twisties just past my home... thinking... Its downhill all the way home... so why not? Two hours later I come back with a "sh**-eatin'" grin on my face that just would not come off! I was now ADDICTED... put the car up on blocks and did a pan-on "Restification".... which is now commonly known as a "Resto-mod". Five months later with new paint, interior, tires and other stuff without touching the engine... Its on it's feet and lookin' pretty, for a boy!

About 175K on the clock now... same unmolested engine with three transmissions (2 overhauls and a replacement) it runs better now than it ever did. A week ago last Sunday, Tommy Mastracchio and I ran with the boys in and around Temecula CA from the Palms to the Pines to the Vines and home again for over 260 miles up, down and around and 150 miles of it was on the freeway. We averaged 31 mpg!

My BEST to date was 33 mpg a few years back all freeway but with about 25% of that in traffic. I bet on a good day with all freeway and no traffic I could get 35 mpg at 70 mph if un-harrassed!

I HATE/LOVE this car... I might keep it... forever... HA... I just now remembered... when we put gas in it on the way home it wouldn't start (ignition switch I think...) so we pushed it... it fired right off and then the pedal went to the floor. The throttle cable had somehow come off the carb linkage... (I thought it had broke!) I guess old Black Tooth was up to his tricks again and did not want to go home yet! Always sumthun'!

I drive mine daily in rain, shine and even snow. I live in the north of England. I also have no garage, so I just do my best to look after the car. In terms of it being practical, I can fit the whole family shop in it, I can fit my musical equipment into it, and at Christmas, I remove the roof and go to buy a 7ft tree. I think it's fun to be as quirky and original with usage as the design itself!

I also love not having too many passengers...

Ditto, though I have not done a tree.
I will say I'm getting tired of the interstate commute and going from 80+mph to 20 and back and worried about the guy behind me paying attention and my brakes being up to par, so much more fun to go through the country at your own pace and by yourself. Still, it's better than all the other saps in their appliance mobiles.

I'm on my third X and the first 2 were driven daily. The third X is an 86 purchased from Bob Brown a few years ago. The "Queen as she is called has been coast to coast 1 time and is used for cross country traveling at least twice a year from WY to OH, Seattle, NoCal and SoCal. Fun to drive, good milage and plenty of luggage space.:thumbsup:

I Understand...

He looked at me very thoughtfully, and then said "Good choice. A Fiat X1/9 is a serious practical car that you can use as a daily driver".

I do not intend to offend anyone, for the British have built some fine automobiles....that being said, and me being a past owner of a TR250...I am not surprised by this quote :devil:.

I do not intend to offend anyone, for the British have built some fine automobiles....that being said, and me being a past owner of a TR250...I am not surprised by this quote :devil:.

DItto, although I don't mind offending people if they deserve it. Europa's are ugly.

Back