Options to Make More Space in 1982 X19 for Tall People - Thinner Seats?

Joan

Hello members,
Attached is a photo of a (not mine) 1983 X1/9 with non-original seats that were installed in the 90's (possibly in Denver), to make more space for tall people or for wearing safety gear and helmet. It is not known who installed these thinner seats, who is the thinner seat manufacturer, or if they are still available.

Somebody thought the replacement thinner seats came from some kind of Volkswagen but that is just somebodies guess.

Does any member know who is the manufacturer of these thinner seats, and if they are still available? And if the thinner seat cover upholstery is available?

Alternatively, does anyone have any other suggestions, ideas, or past experience, to make more space in a 1982 X1/9 for tall people about 6'5"? The easier and more straight forward the better. No plans to race, but extra leg and head room space is desired.

Are replacing the 1982 original seats with thinner seats, like shown in the attached photo, the easiest approach? Your comments are welcome. Thanks in advance. Joan

Another option for a low profile seat would be ones out of a Lotus Elise. I found a pair on eBay and installed them in my X. They were low enough that I could wear a helmet for autocross with the top on.
RBK

Hello! Just wondering what changes,or adjustments you had to make to make the Lotus seats fit correctly? Thanks,I too can't autocross with the top on!

Welcome Joan and ya know there are folks that LUST after...

those 914 seats.

Are you saying they are still not giving YOU enough room or your boyfriend?

Mark Plaia kinda covered just about all the mods you could or would normally do or that did it for 99% of the Fiat Population. There are a few more options I don't think were mentioned and I will start with the least expensive and painful... on up.

1. Check with Summitracing .com for just about every kind of seat made on this planet. There are seats that are basically "Pans" you can bolt down to the floor. The lower and shorter, the less cushioning and the firmer the ride.
2. Cut and replace the floor pan... (as seat belt extractors I will assumed have already been removed) and there are several ways of modifying the ones you have as well. Later model X1/9 Bertones were said to have done this by 2" but they also bolstered the seats more... kinda defeating (de-feeting?) the purpose... but there would have to be a bit more leg room.
3. Date shorter people.
4. Cut the body in HALF just in front of the Targa Bar, extend the doors, class, top, and rockers another 6 inches.
5. Surgically reduce your height.

On second thought... reversing #4 and #5 might be easier, cheaper and better...

HA!

HTH and welcome to the dark side...

For taller drivers, smaller steering wheel

I have replaced my steering wheels with 300mm wheels and it makes driving the car much easier.

I owned a 914 and hated the seats. The back is not adjustable from the bottom. The driving angle was never right and there is no lower back support.

I am not extra tall (5' 11" on a good day) but didn't like the height of the seats so I cut the foam down and recovered them. The X's seats are comfortable enough but just to high for my liking. I also cut metal out of the back and some other mods shaving a total of 12 pounds off each seat. They are still sturdy and comfortable but I am still working on them. My first cover that I ran for several years was vinyl but thought I would like cloth better. I do like the cloth but don't like job I did so maybe next winter I will redo them again. By the way that is not a dead animal on the seat. I like the fur seat covers and the strap at the bottom is a pain to get undone and back so I just pushed it aside. These were the best two out of ten shots so sorry for the blur. Anyway I like the feel and height. To farther compensate ease of ingress and egress I installed a striped down and modified tilt wheel out of a Chrysler Le Baron.

Those are 914 seats... Midwest finished out a car with the 914 seats a year or so ago. I really like them but have been unable to locate a used set... I am 6-1 so I am challenged when the top is on..

The 914 seats worked really good so if anyone has a set hit me up!..

Currently I run Miata Seats in my X. 100 bucks from Pick and Pull..

Also, I saw where a guy had cut and removed shelf behind seat and put fuel tank up front. Gave him 2 more inches to recline seat.. Pretty drastic alternative but it was pretty roomy...

6'5" is a tall order...

Sorry, had to say it. I'm 6'2" and barely fit, certainly not with helmet. Top off for track days certainly.

Depending on how you're built, i.e. long legs vs. long torso, there are different things that will help, but 6'5" may be hard to make comfortable.

Side note: Scorpions are 6" wider, and so feel (and are) bigger inside, might try one of those. I went from an '87 X to a '77 Scorpion and am much happier.

To me

The best option is getting a pair of X1/9 seats from a 1974 and recovering them. I did that, gained at least two inches. My legs would graze the steering wheel with the stock 77 seats, but once I changed I had plenty of room.

The other items...

Earlier cars have a smaller dashboard, which gives the appearance and feeling of a more room.

In my 74, I have the original seats, modified the steering column to tilt up a bit more and I am happy with it.

With the hard top on, I have about an inch or so of space. With a helmet on, I can fit in it but need to scrunch down in the seat a bit.

On my old 74 race car, I had a Carrabeau (sp?) seat in the car which was even better, down side is it was mounted to the floor and gave no ability for movement for other drivers.

For reference I am 6'4" and come in around 260 (hoping to reduce this down to 220 or so in the coming year...)

Earlier cars have a smaller dashboard, which gives the appearance and feeling of a more room.

In my 74, I have the original seats, modified the steering column to tilt up a bit more and I am happy with it.

With the hard top on, I have about an inch or so of space. With a helmet on, I can fit in it but need to scrunch down in the seat a bit.

On my old 74 race car, I had a Carrabeau (sp?) seat in the car which was even better, down side is it was mounted to the floor and gave no ability for movement for other drivers.

For reference I am 6'4" and come in around 260 (hoping to reduce this down to 220 or so in the coming year...)

Corbeau?

I did the steering column adjustment

Mark described in the archived article and it helped a little. I also changed out the steering wheel for a Grant wheel about 11" in diameter. At least my legs don't rub on the steering wheel anymore. I haven't had the courage to try cutting foam out of the seats, though.

Mike

lower seat

here is a kooky idea. I just finished frank p's x and the drivers seat was trashed (79), so I stripped all the covers and foam off to throw the frame into the pile of metal and realized that the seat is hella shallow.
now here's the kooky part.
has anyone ever used that expanding packing foam encased in that silver plastic? I know most of you have seen it in a box of fragile stuff you have received.
now.... what if you laid the plastic, then foam and the second layer of plastic and sat till it cured?? you would have a lower seat that is tailored to you. there would also be a center bolster between your legs...cool huh?
downside
foam is somewhat fragile, so a stronger foam would be needed.
it is on the EPA haz-mat list
and it is EXPENSIVE.
and finding someone to upholster it too.
ahh just a pipe dream (better put it down):hmm2:
mikemo

Expanding foam

Actually, yes. This is how a lot of people make a custom back for their race seats. What you do is sit in the seat, and put a black plastic bag behind you and fill it up with some expanding foam, and then sit back and wait for it to set up.

The only problem is it tends to break down quickly so not a great idea for a daily driver!

Mike... Eric... I think the fumes from...

the expanding foam has gotten to you both. You were probably "glue sniffers" in your youth as well.

I suggest you seek out some (intervention?) help quickly or just go back to smoking dope like in the old days! Your (mental) health is of concern here guys!

Back