exhaust ideas...

azxhead

True Classic
Has anyone tried modifying existing dual outlet mufflers from other cars to fit the x? The Nissan Murano Bosal muffler looks great. Anyone done that project or similar they care to share?

Last edited:
I have a project.

I am currently designing a dual outlet system using a Gibson Muffler. I chose it due to its overall length of 19". Gibson part # 55101.

Old Muffler:

Project Muffler:

Right now, I have the whole exhaust compartment stripped and I have to do some rust repair and add new insulation before installing the muffler.

One advantage of living in Massachusetts is that I no longer have to pass emission tests so there will be no cat.

Mother nature has put a damper on my progress due to the extreme cold, but I plan on resuming in a few weeks.

The pipes will exit from the rear grill on the far left and right, but I have thought about a dual center outlet....

Come on spring!!!

One thing to avoid honestly is factory exhausts unless you really are willing to save a tiny amount of money while adding a bunch of weight. Most factory exhausts I've gotten a hold of weigh a LOT more than aftermarket options.

I did not put this together, so all I can provide is some bare information and a few pictures I snapped before it just got absurdly cold here.
What was used: "The exhaust muffler is actually made to be an axle back for a 1995 Dodge Neon and is full stainless steel inside and out "

What it looks like:
IMG_20150207_171133_zpswhlwefyq.jpg

IMG_20150207_152938_zpsvbl5ufnh.jpg

Hope that helps a little at least.

No idea on quality/sound/weight etc... but its basically this style:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manzo-Axleb...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54110844d9

that looks nice. Very low profile. The tail pipes look really close to rear quarter cutouts for them. They don't rattle at all?

Very nice look...

Nope. No rattling. I had one issue about one week after I finished.. Had to weld an additional support off the side and locked it in place...

I have one of Matt's reground CAMS in this engine and I rag it out pretty regularly.. Exhaust tips never hit or shake against the body panel.

I had originally tried the Miata exhaust. It is a pretty good option as well... Quiet.. It fits nice but it didn't give as raspy of a signature as the Dodge Challenger Resonator did.. I will try to get a Sound VIdeo up later tonight so you can hear it... It's pretty loud.. Not a teenager broken exhaust type sound.. It works for me.

I like the challenger set up very much!

I also like the idea of having the exhaust exit in the center of the grille as well!

Great ideas and inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

i WAS LOOKING INTO COMETHING LIKE THE cAmaro muff for a bilt up 250 I6 almost 300 HP in a 70 Mustang as pipe dia are about right. A 1600 engine Would rather like 2" inlet and dual 1 3/4 or 1 1/2 outlets. This is to keep air speed closer to optimal on the exhaust side.

Anyone ever used one of these? Vibrant Muffler part #10633
STREETPOWER Muffler, 2.5" side inlet x dual 2.25" outlets

10633_WEBL.jpg

Lotus

In the next few weeks, I'll be installing a Lotus Elise muffler 2 ½" with dual outlets centred in the middle of the rear grill. It should be fine, but someone else will be doing it.

In the next few weeks, I'll be installing a Lotus Elise muffler 2 ½" with dual outlets centred in the middle of the rear grill. It should be fine, but someone else will be doing it.

This weekend I will be installing a Gibson muffler with 2" dual outs at the ends of the rear grill.

If you post a finished photo, I will too :grin:

Back