Would you?

AleX1/9

Has the sickness
So there's a free parts X1/9 about 20 mins from my house:

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/pts/4975629451.html

A tree fell smack dab down the middle crushing the nose, hood, and windshield. Guy says a friend asked him to store it on his property several years ago and has since fallen off the map. No title or registration paperwork, last on the road in 2005.

I went and took a look and it seems the only pieces potentially worth parting are front grill, tron wheels, long tube header, and mechanical cores/spares. Air cleaner was left off with no engine cover, and interior ruined from rain with no top.

I have a flatbed, but can't decide if it's worth the time and headache of securing lost title etc.....

Can anybody use anything on this one?

If I was a dealer, yes, no question... but first...

Get the VIN off the car... RF inside fenderwell, tag on left door post, tag on dash (easy!) and stamping on "firewall" behind the battery. All should match but the MOST important is the stamping.

Then check with DMV to see if they show it stolen or anything... you do not want to get yurself in the middle of stolen goods.

Have the land owner sign a statement with the VIN included to this exact story and if need be later on, have it notarized with you.

I can't tell the year or all the details but if its a 5 speed it could be worth the effort right there... SS reservoir, good radiator, fans, grille you said, wheels... header, older model seats are wanted for their thin style... I also see the early steel spoiler and the bar-bumpers so I assume a '75 - '78. Even so, the 4 speed is worth it... and who knows about the engine and bits. You could make a few bucks and possibly help someone out as well. Early carbs (32's and 34's) are desirable also... and then you can cut up the shell for scrap... and make another 20 bucks... Looks like FUN to me! Call your friends!

free fiat

OH HELL YA!!!!!
there are so many parts on that to keep yours running for years, not to mention the stuff that the forum members might need.
it is your civic duty to take her and make use of all of her before she gets crushed. it's a sad job and time consuming thing to do even if you have room to store the parts.....do you??
and if you think of putting her back together... I have a hood, w/s frame and several fenders and 5 targa tops. see what I mean?
zonk was blown away with all the stuff I have rat holed. Jim k. also. he needed a drivers side pawl for the handle and I pulled out a box of all the door assembles and he found what he needed. nuff said except.....
free???
how much to ship to sf bay area if you fold on this one.
my wife would kill me, but I am getting comfortable sleeping in the garage:wacko:

Get the VIN off the car... RF inside fenderwell, tag on left door post, tag on dash (easy!) and stamping on "firewall" behind the battery. All should match but the MOST important is the stamping.

Hi Tony!

Door, fender, and firewall #'s match. 10/1978 ID# 0080396. The one under the windshield was blocked by broken glass and debris. I'm going to call the DMV Monday and see if anything's reported. I didn't think about the notarized transfer document, great suggestion!

I've actually taken a few X's like this to their grave at Navy City Metals in Bremerton (near my hometown). If you have a title for an X1/9 that doesn't register stolen they'll crush it....they didn't even check the VIN on the last one I brought!

it is your civic duty to take her and make use of all of her before she gets crushed.

Mike you crack me up! I have the same sentiment however.... Problem is every time I do this I end up with a bunch of undesirables I can't bring myself to throw away but hate the space they take up at the same time.

Unfortunately I do have the space...but the time? I'd have to find it somewhere....

Unfortunately my business sense tells me the payoff just isn't there. It's a 1300/4speed with a surely ruined engine. The engine cover and associated bits are gone. The front air dam is crushed. the body is rotten. The coolant tank is missing.... The headlight motors would have to be removed with a cutoff wheel....

If I save it I'll strip it on the trailer and give myself a week. Next day off...to the crusher.

You guys are pushing me in the right direction though!

free heap

you will be surprised what you can reap by stripping her.
yea a lot of useless fodder involved, but that day you need that one part................crap!!
had it, lost it.
and once you have all the parts in hand, go to the fs&w on the forum and list what you have and what you want for them, and your inbox will be full with "got this, got that??
it's kinda cool helping a x head with something they need. I ask a few shillings and freight (much to the distain of my wife).
she says more, but she don't get it.
if I have to explain it, she wouldn't understand anyway.
keep us posted!
mikemo
mikemo90"at"aol.com

Yes.. yes I would..

You can't imagine how many little bits I've taken off of scrap cars that have come in handy!

Heck, I'd strip that thing to nothing and sell the chassis for a race car - looks fairly clean.

I would

Just for the stainless steel coolant tank alone.

There also looks like a few other good parts there as well. And hey, it's free!

YES, YES, YES... Alex... now you are in tune!

The idea of stripping it on the trailer is a good one but I really think ya need to pull the engine and trans as well. The remainder on the bottom side is probably worthless as you stated... but even if the mill is "ruined", there are probably all sorts of bits that are useful to others. It is your CIVIC DUTY to capture them!

But UNLIKE Mikey here... list them for a REASONABLE price and if they don't sell, box them up and ship them to Mike so he can GIVE them away. I'll PM his address to you later... (HA!)

Having that trailer and a resource to dump the scrap is great as well. Our recyclers here gives us a penny a pound for steel which I hardly bother with... but those bumpers being aluminum and id no body wants them are probably 20 bucks or more in scrap.

Don't forget all the SS trim molding around the Targa and door latches and the like... Dash and gauges???

Are you a member of the FUN organization? If not... why not call Greg Smith and connect... and offer up some Beer and Pizza and have a TEARDOWN Party!

Bob Brown at his best...

The hard working group takes a break... and it appears Bob is telling one of his 'true' stories again. Notice all the GREAT STUFF on the ground!

I'm sure that's a Sarsaparilla in the Red Cup Robert Morse is holding... Carol Brown sitting and enjoying the show...

On another occasion... Damon Gentile... torch in hand... getting another car ready to go the its final resting place.

These fotos are from the NE... and from about 10 years ago! Don't let them out shine the GREAT PNW!

Do send us fotos of your party next weekend!

Alex, you are correct...

Unfortunately my business sense tells me the payoff just isn't there.

Doing a civic duty for God & Country is one thing.
Doing it for payoff is a different thing.
I paid too much for freebies I've dragged home.
Purchase price is only a tip of the "overhead" iceburg.

FREE PICTURE... just in case you haven't seen this...

Mike Moiso hard at work... and where he sleeps now-a-days...

Photos by Rob "Zonker" Green

WAIT A MINUTE... Is that a hyped-up small block Chevy I see under the bench in the second photo?

Ya know Mikey... Mr. Wayne Wright up in there near where Alex lives "Coulda had a V-8..."

He even had the room!

Just to help you get started... He used a Tornado split TH350 trans and flipped the final drive over to have 3 speeds forward. Using an all aluminum V-8 would only add about 300 pounds and its basically sitting on top of the rear axle. I dunno what he did for brakes but I would look into a decent upgrade for them along with putting the fuel up front.

Now that you are motivated... send photos of your progress.

Speaking of DOORS, don't forget them, the deck lid...

the side markers, the emblems, LR taillight etc. etc.

That's why you need a PARTY and a few more eyes, muscles and hands and stuff!

v-8 x??

good eye papa.
there is a new short block, a 300 hp corvette motor and the 302 out of the Camaro, which now has a 600 hp Winston west engine that was from my cousin's car we built back in the day when we into racing NASCAR.
but a v-8 in an x???
that's as much overkill as the northstar caddy v-8 in a fiero. seen it done.
naaa......looking forward to the motor I got with mike's car...
but now you have me thinking
dammit!!!!
mikemo:dance2:

Holy parts stash batman

Is this what happens in advanced stages of the sickness?

First thing I noticed was the velocity stacks on the DCOE's :eek:mg:

But then I saw the wheel sitting there with the BFG Radial TA's. are those 4x98?!

*Tony a stripper party would be fun, but unfortunately I'm in that early stage of career "stuck at work 7493 hours a week" phase in life and I only manage to take midweek days off :/

I even missed the FEN show last sunday!

Back