What do you use for your vapor canister pre-heat hose?

zonker

Just Another FIAT Freak
That 5/8" braided rubber hose that runs from the charcoal canister to the manifold shield, that is. Since I have to smog it, I was looking for the paper covered aluminum hose like you saw on VW bugs and older Ford products, but nobody makes it in a 5/8.

That being said, I think I'm gonna retrofit the VW hose onto the canister bungs by cutting a "bushing" out of a good section of the old hose then sliding it over the tube ends, then sliding the VW 24.5mm hose over that.

Anyone do this? Or did I just waste $9 buying a 3' section of 24.5mm pre-heat hose.

BTW, funny footnote - I was looking in my owners manual at the service intervals for the charcoal canister - it says every 25,000 miles! haha, think my canister even works anymore? Oh well, it's not about function, it's about form. I need to pass the visual check of the smog check.

canister

zonk
if ya need one I have both styles here the round and the square type.
toldja to bring a shopping list!!!
and air pumps if you need one
before I toss them out
mikemo
when are you coming up the coast?
I can load a box "o" stuff for you awaiting your arrival.
mikemo:thumbsup:

zonk
if ya need one I have both styles here the round and the square type.
toldja to bring a shopping list!!!
and air pumps if you need one
before I toss them out
mikemo
when are you coming up the coast?
I can load a box "o" stuff for you awaiting your arrival.
mikemo:thumbsup:

Boy oh boy - is anything unobtainium to you? I'm good on the canister - I just find it comical that Fiat recommended replacement of the canisters every 25000 miles.

... and their CAT at 30,000, their O2 sensor at 14,000...

I think... WHOOPIE!

But... as I learned with my DD Honda... it is better to keep things running at OPTIMUM over continuing on using them at less than peak performance.

Kinda like replacing brake pads at 50% wear versus taking them down to 90%. They will stop just as good ONCE, but not TWICE or more...

Back