ID original born on engine

Rogerthat

True Classic
On the Bertone X1/9s, is there any way to ID the serial number of the engine to verify that the engine was born to that car other than the IBM chasis/engine punch card that came with the car new? If you were to lose the IBM punch card, would you be able to verify a matching numbers engine?

Good question.

I don't believe there is a way. I am trying to think of where I might have seen some specific block numbering or even head numbering. The head has casting numbers on it, but I don't believe it is specific to the car.

I can't think of anything on the block. There is a casting number on it, the crank bearings have some numbers...

Can anyone else think of anything?

Engine number

There is a number punched on the block. It is on the dizi side near the flywheel bell. There is a flat horizontal surface on which the number is stamped.
Very hard to see.

Enjoy -

The serial number of the engine is the same number on the Bertone's IBM punch car which is unique to that one car. I guess without that IBM card there would be no other way. I do not think the car's VIN in stamped on the engine.

It sounds like I am the only one on the forum with the IBM punch cards, anyone else have them?

Those computer ID cards only came on the late Bertone cars AFAIK ... having worked at a dealership (my Dad's) the only X19's I ever saw with some mention of engine/chassis numbers in any paperwork were for the latest cars... definitely not for anything Fiat bodied (i.e. not a 128AS chassis'... the Bertone's were like ZFABB designations from memory)

Here in Australia there is a record of what engine number the car was originally registered with ... and if still on the original number plates can be looked up... but once the plates have been changed, there appears to be no way of tracking down this record...

Not that it matters, unlike ford /chrysler products that definitely have a correlation between engine and chassis codes, and other options as well are all clearly marked on chassis plates and on the block too, but for a Fiat there is certainly no numerical correlation between the engine and chassis numbers.

SteveC

Back