175 60 13 Tires - Pictures Mounted On Cars

Austin74

True Classic
Does anyone have pictures of 175 60 13 tires mounted on their X1/9? I am considering purchasing a set, but do not want them to look too 'puny'. They will be mounted on CD30s. I know that 185s are popular and they look great, but I am concerned about rubbing in the front, and don't want staggered tires.

175/60 snows on the back when I needed to drive it a few winters ago

Didn't like the handling with those tires at all

I don't have any pictures

as I've never ran that size tire. But if your main concern is that they will look small compared to a 185/60/13, then I would not worry. The tire is a total of 10mm smaller, 5 mm on each side. You can't see the inboard side, so we're really talking about a loss of 5mm size on the outboard side. That is 0.197 inches, or roughly 3/16". Look at that on a ruler. I don't think the visual difference will be noticeable at all.

Pete

Thank you

Hussein, than you for the pics! I think they look pretty good. The ones I am thinking of getting are the Achilles, so hopefully they won't handle too much differently than the 185s people have been buying.

Thank you

Thank you Pete - what you're saying makes a lot of sense regarding the size. I think I'll go for it!

185/60/13's only rub at full lock (on my CD91A), and I've never had an issue in 26 years. One additional spacer front and rear takes care of that, and makes it look better overall. Longer bolts are required.

I have Miller's Mule spacers that I'll be running this year. I went with 9.5mm up front, 12.7mm in the rear - I still need to test the 12.7mm spacers as I don't know if they'll rub.

Are you sure the Achilles tires are 175/60/13, are they not 175/70?

Last edited:
Hey, Hussein...

That striking red paint contrasted with the white snow brings Tony Montana in "Scarface" to mind... I don't know why...

Regards

Tire Size 185

I've been running 185/60 13's on both my X's and have absolutely no rubbing or fit problems at all.

Ed

PLEASE DON'T AUSTIN!!! YOU TOO HUSSEIN!

use this tire calculator and SEE for yourself (dammit!)

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

IMHO... the 185/60s look puny in the rear (no offense to the thousands out there that use them... I did say this was my aesthetic OPINION!) and that is why I went to 205/60s!

If and when a set of four 185/60s should be a problem up front... a little persuasion (not much) of the sheet metal (no harm no paint issues) up front or, remove the inner liner, or add or remove a spacer, or simply live with it whilst backing or at full lock.

175/60s look and perform good up front and I love them. With a good alignment and staggered tires they wear evenly ans as they should and especially for us SPORTS are MOE than fine as the look COOL... and that is NOT and opinion! HA!

Note fotos below and read the captions below them carefully. Both X's have had their springs cut and modified for a 2 inch drop at the bumper.

185/60 F 205/60 R

I think I drove the car with this configuration for many years up until last.

175/50 F 205/60 R

I think the 50's are cool but a bit too small in OD. People really noticed the car with them... I believe the thumbs up meant they liked the look overall... but it was a bit too much for me so I went to a bigger tire for the next set. Ricardo here ran 50 series 175 front and 215's on the rear with 14 inch wheels and they looked GREAT. He didn't like them though! HA!

175/70 all around in '99

These are my latest with 175/60 Achilles up front and 205/60 Pro-Meter's in the rear. I really need a long shot but they look and perform great. Almost forgot... the fronts are Achilles Platinum 7 tires, not the Achilles 122's. They did not offer the 122's in this size when I bought them... not these are way more expensive and the 122's are this price. The point is, the SIZE is what matters here, especially for 35 bucks and YOU ALL KNOW the rest. Not a complaint from anyone... yet.

HTH.

A lot to think about...

Wow, that's a lot to consider. My CD30s have 195 60 13s on them now that have less than 1000 miles on them, so maybe I'll try the 175 60s just up front for now and see how things look and feel with the 195s in the back. I just don't want to cut into the performance too much of my mighty 1300 dead stock engine with too high a tire diameter and additional rolling resistance.

No worries there Austin...

Your gearing is too damn high in the first place and the rears are powering the car most of the time (if you were really concerned about "rolling resistance").

I have a 5 speed and the difference in 1 - 4 is discernible but the difference in 5th is about 350 rpm less at speed for a much less buzzy and a much more quiet drive.

Nuttin' ta think about... run the 175s up front and you will be HAPPY! I would not steer you wrong... pun intended.

Thanks

Thank you Tony, I'll try it out that way. I just got the car this weekend and noticed that it has 195 rears and 145 fronts. The tire are ancient, but I'll take it around the block just to see what that set up feels like before I put the Cromodoras and new tires on it. First I have to take care of a few things like getting the brakes to work, changing the elderly timing belt, and cleaning out the old gas in it...

Back