three questions on repairs

cutter67

Low Mileage
I just good a X that has been sitting since 1988. I flushed the gas tank and changed the oil and new fuel and oil filter. She runs good but it seems the alternater is not charging. How do you get to it. The second question is there any tricks to changing the clutch master and slave cylinder before i dive into it. Third question is i let her idle for a half hour and the temp gage went to 190 and dropped back down like thermostat opened but the fan motor that goes to the carburetor never came on when does that come on.......thanks for any help

First you should buy a proper manual for the car. Things go much easier when you have one. I have different versions, Haynes, Clymer and a factory manual. There is a partial version online of the factory manual available here that covers many things:

http://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=WorkshopManuals

The Wiki is an invaluable resource in general: http://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I just good a X that has been sitting since 1988. I flushed the gas tank and changed the oil and new fuel and oil filter. She runs good but it seems the alternater is not charging. How do you get to it.

There is a removable panel in the rear trunk that goes between the trunk and the engine compartment. Although not easy, it is not terribly difficult to reach it through there. I would check the voltage regulator/brushes, removing it and them and then reinstalling it may cure it (versus pulling the entire unit). When it comes time to reinstall the alternator if you end up removing it you will likely have to walk the new belt on as the 'correct' belt is a bit small. This covers some of it: http://xwebforums.com/wiki/images/3/3a/WrokshopManual_40.pdf

The second question is there any tricks to changing the clutch master and slave cylinder before i dive into it.

Have the right tools. As well as having proper metric flare nut wrenches, having some small vice grips that can clamp onto the wrenches to ensure you don't round off the nuts. Remove the drivers seat, lay a heavy blanket over the seat tracks to save your back, remove the steering column which is pretty easy (pinch clamp bolt at the firewall, four bolts to the instrument panel cross member). Undoing all the hoses and dropping the whole unit will allow you to do much of the work on the bench. Clean it all up, repaint and lubricate before reinstalling.

Third question is i let her idle for a half hour and the temp gage went to 190 and dropped back down like thermostat opened but the fan motor that goes to the carburetor never came on when does that come on.......thanks for any help

The thermostat likely opened and the front fans likely also ran to pull the temp down. The carburetor fan only runs when the car has been shut down to reduce boiling the fuel out of the carburetor float bowl. There is a sensor on the head next to the carb. They don't run very often, and the car has to be quite hot and have run for an extended period.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I May Add

Karl covered the basic well. I would just elaborate on the second issue: hydraulics. If you are going to do the clutch master, I recommend replacing the brake master and all the hoses going to the reservoirs. In fact, replacing the reservoirs is also a good idea. Also for the clutch, change the flex hose and washers at the slave.
Visit our vendors like Matt (Bayless-Midwest) and Vicks for parts.

thanks

Thanks for the replies. Tools are not a problem i have very equiped shop. I always ask about doing something because many times there are short cuts that are not shown in manuals. At this moment i own 32 cars and really specialize in saving cars that are forgotten by their owners and doing them on a budget. I really like British and German cars. I have owned Fiats and Lancias in the past. But this is the first X1/9.

Here is budget midget i am just finishing up total money into car is $2,500.00 including price of car

Nice ride... I do have some "word-smithing" in your...

original post.

1988 X's were Fuel Injected and had a cooling fan in the trunk that would run when certain temps were exceeded... whether the engine was running or not.

1980 X's were the last Carbed models and had a fan in the upper left corner of the engine bay and ONLY ran when the engine was OFF.

There is a typo somewhere, I know not where though...

Whoops... One last thing... I'm referring to NA models... if You have a RHD from OZ, that might be a different matter.

NIce! Spridgets are one of my favorite MGs

You clearly need more cars :thumbsup:

I hope you find the X to your liking as they are certainly worth saving.

Sorry, didn't mean to be condescending. We get a wide range of owners here, from those who have barely picked up a wrench to master mechanics, it can be hard to know which one is talking to :)

I likely own at least 32 manuals to cars I don't own, its part of my leisure reading. I am a sick man as my wife constantly reminds me.

Karl

Karl.your reply was excellent and very informative. I belong to many forums some good some not so good. I am active like this just till i get some answers then i stay in the back ground. I found with forums you get people like you that really know the cars and give very good tips and really help and then you get some that lead you down the wrong path. I just love cars . If you want to see my cars you should check out my facebook page if you are on it. Mark Krchmar as i said i yank them out of the weeds or barns and try to save them

Back