just got X1/9

cutter67

Low Mileage
this is the first X1/9 i have ever owned and i have no idea what i will do with it either. it is rust free some scratches and light surface rust but thats it. it is also unmolested and has been in a garage since 1988 and has not run since it was parked.

20150404_085736_zpsegig8kgg.jpg

20150404_085748_zps2bof9h7k.jpg

20150404_085758_zps3mt3hpig.jpg

20150404_085741_zpsm6y4iwd1.jpg

20150404_085822_zpszndh1htl.jpg

20150404_085814_zpskm9qdrpd.jpg

Looks pretty good

The fact that it was in the garage likely saved the dash board and seats, etc.
Looks like you've got a good candidate there. :thumbsup:

New X Owner

Welcome to the insanity that is owning one or more X1/9's.

Its the ultimate love/hate relationship!

I love my cars but that hate me.

Ed

I'm confused by the year that X would be if it is truely unmolested and original?

Fiat badging and a carb'd car meaning it would be 1979 or older but with the large engine cover and carb'd it should be a '79. The confusion comes from the heater controls. They are exactly the same as my '84 so did Fiat use those controls in 1979 and then switch to sliding heater controls in the early eighties before going back to that style in '84?

Just curious that's all. Great find and you've definitely come to the right place to get it running again.

AC vs no AC

Pete,

The cars with only slider controls do not have AC. The 1500's with AC had the square white buttons till 85 IIRC and switched to round black buttons there after.

It's a 79

AFAIK 79 was the only US market car with series 2 interior/bumpers/engine cover etc with caburetor. Maybe some 80 models as well.

The wheels would have been the steel cloverleafs so those have been changed.

I guess someone could have taken an 80-82 FI model and curbreted it, but that's less likely....(especially considering the rear "5 speed" badge not "fuel injection")

Congrats on the X! Looks like a really complete unmolesed car. Have fun with it!

Oh I did not know that. Well that makes sense since mine is an A/C car. Great find on that original X!

Congrats on your find!

Definitely an early to mid 1979 as these were the only 1500 models that had an engine cover without side cutouts.

Your timing of buying your first X is impeccable, since in fewer than three months the annual "Fiat Freak Out" (aka FFO) is being held in Pittsburgh this year, July 15-19. https://www.fiatclubamerica.com/ffo2015/

With some luck, a lot of work, and the help of our great team of vendors and the best specialty car forum on the internet, you should be able to get your car up and running and looking good for FFO :)

Yes, it is all '79, just like mine, but

I am seeing a reverse clocking tachometer. Didn't that show up in later models. Certainly not the case in my '79.

Welcome Mr. Cutter... I see you sparked a lot of confusion...

If you wouldn't mine posting your VIN we could determine for sure what year your car is. I'm quite familiar with '79's and the Carbed model like yours ran into 1980 as well.

I found this chart and hopefully its accurate.

As for the reverse-rotation of the Tach... as Larry said, they were installed on the later '79 models as the geniuses at Fiat finally got in the car and drove it with the new dash and steering wheel and found they couldn't SEE the needle at the HIGH end.

Someone had the NEAT idea to run it backwards thinking we really don't need to know what's happening way down low... You will find a lot of "engineering features" like this as you get into the car... but I love it. All cars have a nuance somewhere.. these just have a collection not usually found on others!

Looks like ya got a great PROJECT there as it appears well preserved but ya can't believe the rubber, oil, gas and other materials would hold up. Lots of cleaning to do as well as hydraulics.

BUT... we are here to help and spend your money WISELY and we just do it for the love of these machines.

The Dash tells us also you should have an A/C equipped car and for wither a '79 or '80 they are really rare... especially in the states that could really use it. For a driver, you'll wanna try and get this one to work as its a real plus.

Hey... I better quit as I have run on (again). Congrats on your ride... its a good start!

wheels

are the wheels anything special. why couldn't fiat use a 4x100 pattern ;) it is for sure a a later 1979 going by the door tag and title.

80 carbed

Inherited an 80 carb'd that had those same wheels.
My 79 does have the steel cloverleaf wheels.
Also 79 did not have lollypop on shifter linkage (look under car).
I would look at changing out those fuel lines in the engine compartment.
Enjoy :dance:
Deane

Plastic expansion tank also....

My brother's 79 had the steel tank.... last of the carb cars....

Nice! I do love that blue!

Wouldn't want to deal with carburation and whatever smog nonsense is in there, though ;)

Late 79

I purchased my 79 in January of 79, it had a build date of December 1978 on the door pillar. I sent pictures to Fiat Canada and complained about the steering wheel obstructing the view of the upper portion of the Tach and also the transmission jumping our of revese. Fiat returned my letter, thanked me and told me that they would pass it along.

That car is a Late 79 as the Stainless steel tanks painted black were on the early 79's most likely left over from the 78 build year. On the down side the early 5 speeds had the small reverse idler shaft that would bend and jump out of gear. It will be interesting to see how this car's transmission is.

I changed the Carb to a 36 DCNF at less than 100 KM. Still have it in a box out in the barn with a jetting box and venturi's. I should put it up for sale on the Forms.

Keep us posted with what you find and how it is running.

Thanks for sharing.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Put a battery in her and a couple of cranks and she fired right of and sounded really good. It is a 1980. The PO had two he gave me the wrong title but got right one tonight. All the lights work and good brake pedal but clutch pedal is on the floor. This is a hyd clutch right.......now for the big one the AC works can hear the compressor engage and cold air out the vents....... will play with it more over the weekend

Cutter,

At least it started right up. That's a good sign.

Although the brakes seem ok, after sitting so long the master cylinder seals are probably dried out and will start to leak on the carpet soon or within 2 months. Ask me how I know. Same for the clutch master and maybe the clutch slave cylinder. As Tony suggested, pay attention to the hydraulics and if you decide to work on the clutch and it's the clutch master, might as well replace the brake master at the same time. They're both located in the same barely accessible place.

Enjoy.

Mike

Back