Are rubber donuts tasty, delicious ?

lezesig1

expatriot
What the fuel tank on the 850 Spider looks like. This version with fuel vapor evaporator separators.

Pleasantly surprised by how little corrosion was in the tank.

Back to the donut....

Anybody ever refitted the tank to the body and discarded this donut ?

Near as I can tell it was meant for a stabilizer. I suspect only using the straps for that function would be just fine.

A light clean and re-spray and this is going back up soon.

Incidentally, there was some discussion on having to remove the (US) drivers side swingarm to drop the tank. Not required. Instead, removing the shock mounting assembly provides adequate clearance on that side. The swingarm was swung free by removing the shock also.

lezesig
'72 850 Sp

PS- The separators are going bye bye.

Looks very clean in there... The X has a similar donut. Mine was very dry and fragile. I ended up replacing it with a similar size and shape foam donut used to seal in-between a toilet bowl and tank. It wasn't a perfect fit but I think close enough. You could probably also find a piece of foam and cut it to size...

Yes, I removed it...

Back to the donut....
Anybody ever refitted the tank to the body and discarded this donut ?

If that's the open cell foam thing that fits around the neck and under/between the fill neck hole, I left it out with no ill effects. Not sure what purpose it served beyond holding water and encouraging corrosion.

PS- The separators are going bye bye.

Boo! Bad Fiat enthusiast. :mad3:

Decision

geekdaddy,

You chose to restore the top stabilizer then. Gotcha.

You mentioned the word toilet and the first thing I thought of was WAX RING. I had to re-read the interface you mentioned. Pretty funny using beeswax to fill our void......but it would work ! ...momentarily

Yep, I know the one you chose. The neopremy elastomer type. Close inside diameter match for the tank neck application.

It should have the benefit of not absorbing water and providing the cushion.

Greg brings up a good point of the OEM material being saturated and a potential source for corrosion. Spraying that area with expandable foam to make this stabilizer comes to mind.

.....hmmmm, may have to choose wrapped sheets of wetsuit fabric to shim this area.

out for now,
lezesig
'72 850 Sp

Fresh donuts made daily

Pic of what the 850 spider fuel tank neck stabilizer-seal looks like.

This seal is situated under the aft deck lid. Below the filler cap and its visible bulkhead seal. Situated in an enclosed cavity.

Prototype/"one-off" created using (3) plies of 6mm open cell fine grained elastomer sheet. Think DRY SUIT material.

Original dimensions restored. Gravity and repetitive motion were not too kind on the old one.

lezesig
'72 850 Sp

Back