Trying to Find Instructions On Pod Removal

Perhaps a Volvo 480 motor could be substituted...

:)

Volvo480_TwoTone.JPG

To disable the pop up for parking light only operation I just took the wire (light blue?) as it, interrupted it to a console switch (old hazard switch) then pack to interrupted wire, it's clunky, you have to open the circuit and you won't get pop with parking or head lights until you hit the switch and close the circuit then they pop up, to put down you must turn off all lights, there's more elegant ways to do it, but's it was easy, actually the PO had done it and it threw me off for a long time before I figured it out.

what are they referring to with the term dim-dip?

I also though the pod's going up with just the running lights is a bit tacky.

Thanks Jeff. I actually have an original hard copy of that manual :)

It's the wiring mod / relay addition I was looking for. Bob B sent me a link for it, so it's all good there.

Still need guidance on removing a pod stuck in the down position, though....

Can you put Bob's link here? I need another project like a hole in the head but I always wanted to be able to wink just one headlight, chicks dig it. I rememeber Bob's super mod with the crazy little dial doodad, way over my head.

Removing a pod stuck in the down position ...

1. Remove the small motor cover (behind the pod) inside the front trunk.
2. Rotate the motor "knob" so that the headlight pod rises to the full up position.
3. Remove the black headlight bezel. (front of headlight pod) 3 or 4 Phillips head screws. Be careful because they break/strip easily.
4. Remove the chrome plated headlight ring. (3 screws) This can be removed without fully removing the screws.
5. Unplug and remove the headlight lamp.
6. Using a 10mm wrench, remove the adjustable push arm from the headlight motor to the pod. (or you can remove the small splined arm at the headlight motor only. One nut holds it on there)
7. Remove the 2 (I believe 13mm) bolts to the inside-top (R & L) of the pod housing to remove the pod.

I think I've covered all the required steps ...

Hope this helps! And for Jeff, HERE is the link to the Pod mod. (.pdf download)

Thankfully Bob posted - I was going to say it would be up to him, as it was a dropbox link. :)

EDIT - just realized you posted the directions for me -Thanks Bob! Didn't realize the motor had a manual crank - very thoughtful of them :)

Last edited:
<snip>
7. Remove the 2 (I believe 13mm) bolts to the inside-top (R & L) of the pod housing to remove the pod.
Also, pay close attention to which washers go where on the bolts holding the pod to the body. These are a pain to get back in when you reinstall the pods.

Also, pay close attention to which washers go where on the bolts holding the pod to the body. These are a pain to get back in when you reinstall the pods.

Very good. Thanks for the tip!

Took a look at it yesterday - checked power & grounds to right headlamp, etc.

What I noticed is that if I rotate the manual raise just a couple turns, then turn the lights off/on, the right side will work again for a couple of cycles, then seat down again, not sure that would be indicative of a failed diode...

Last edited:
pods

pull the access plates off, and you will see a large thumbwheel to raise or lower the pod.....BUT disconnect the battery first for if you raise it above over center the motor will spin on its own to the original position and scare the hell outta you. if you are just pulling the motor for the diode replacement, there 3 bolts that hold the motor in and a tiny circlip for the turnbuckle.
and now would be time to check the said turnbuckle for signs of bending and how smooth the pods are going up and down.
hope this helps
mikemo

Back