Let's Print some X1/9 parts!

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
OK so I've been working on a speaker grill for the rear deck of my X1/9. Printed a few prototypes and trial fit them. I'm now on the 3rd generation (will post pic later). AND I've asked Santa for a 3d printer for Christmas since they're not too expensive for the DIY kits and I'd rather have one at home vs schlepping to my local maker space.

There are some cheap Prusa printers available from China. Quality isn't great but they apparently can be tuned to work well. There's also a guy in NH that creates cheap kits and the quality is (a little) better. http://www.folgertech.com

Anyhow, I think some xweb members have access to 3d printers so hoping we can start creating some parts which may be useful. In addition to my speaker grill I intend to design (1) heater control knobs, (2) interior high-mount LED housing, and (3) plug/blank swith insert for my 81 console. I might even design a bumper mount for semi-integrated LED driving lights. The possibilities are endless :)

Those of you with 3d design skills and/or a 3D printer: Let's see what we can accomplish! (Jeff -- if you already started the heater knob project pls share your files and we can tweak them).

Jeff did make some, I also tweaked it a bit. I thinned them out a bit too much. They are a hard one for this technology as the grain of the process gets in the way of how the parts function.

I would be happy to draw up most anything you are interested in as I have access to a few different programs that I am pretty good with.

Karl

I will try to upload my knobs to thingiverse.com.
I've been using a DaVinci printer and it does a good job but I "jailbroke" it so I can use other software/filament which great upped the difficulty factor but allowed for flexibility, filament choice and lowered cost.
Karl is right about printed ABS not being ideal for everything, the knobs I printed are a bit loose and don't have much flex to them so I haven't done much with them. I did print some in clear with a mind to embed LEDs in them but haven't done much lately.
I'm not like Karl in that my skills in generating my own bits are very amateur.
Still, eventually we could have quit a few simple pieces for folks to just download and print themselves. Blanking plates and such

Just this week I printed a rubber motor winder for a Science Olympiad event I'm coaching. I could have bought one for a fraction of the time it took me but what's the fun in that?

You are far ahead of me so I have some learning to do. Hope to have a wilson ii diy kit running before the new year. This is the current speaker frame design. When i get it right i will post on thingaverse.
ace6b40060cbd82d6c28ee027e057b92.jpg

5483144371f4842ef53e8abebe5897a7.jpg

Interior Light Lenses

Has anyone tried 3D printing the interior light lenses? I don't have access to a 3D printer so I'm unsure it the materials would be suitable? I see you can get transparent stock but would it be strong enough and heat resistant enough?

I have translucent filament but it comes out pretty white, still it may work, especially with an LED lamp (lower heat too). I could try one.

OK now that my printer is running I'd like to share and do more. Working on my speaker grills and will design a 3rd brake light enclosure in the coming weeks.

Jeff can you share your stl files for the heater knobs (long and short?)
Karl. Do you think you could design a console switch plug? I don't have a spare to look at but I might be able to guess how to design based on some switches (e.g. can try to design myself it you can't). Mine is an 81...

Idea for part...

How about the plastic fittings that go to the heater core? They are very brittle these days.

9434.jpg

OK now that my printer is running I'd like to share and do more. Working on my speaker grills and will design a 3rd brake light enclosure in the coming weeks.

Jeff can you share your stl files for the heater knobs (long and short?)
Karl. Do you think you could design a console switch plug? I don't have a spare to look at but I might be able to guess how to design based on some switches (e.g. can try to design myself it you can't). Mine is an 81...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1254605

Vent control knob

Anyone going to do these? I've got an 80 and am missing the heater knob. Looks uncool without it.

click link in post above yours?

These work "okay" but are a bit loose and there's not much flex in ABS so it can split apart. I haven't messed with these in a while, maybe I'll print some more off this weekend, give them an ABS vapor bath (which should both smooth and strengthen) I can send you one to see if it's functional for you if you want.

Blanking plate? I could use a couple myself.

Yup let's do it. The basic ate should be easy but the backside retaining fingers may be a little tricky.

I tried 4 times to print off some knobs last night and gave up. Stuff keeps pulling off the printer bed after a little and then it's a mess. I should probably try some other sticking method besides glue stick. Hairspray I've read.

We have made the ones for an older rim, the Tron cap is challenging given how flat it is and the small details that hold it onto the rim. At some point this winter I will grab one of mine and make a model of it.

I am pretty concerned about the retaining tabs, they are very thin and even the injection molded tabs fail all too often. I don't know if we could use a metal spring clip and attach it to a boss we add to a Tron cap or add a larger boss to the cap and then attaching a clip to the wheel.

If you have some time could you look at the many clips out there and make some suggestions of one or two we could use?

Back