A first date with my X (With pics)

Yes it robs you of about 5hp and makes for one congested engine compartment. If you do not have emissions laws governing this car, then do yourself a big favor and remove it with all the associated plumbing.

OK. This is now on the list too. You guys are great!

So I just came back from the locksmith and I have an ignition with 3 new keys. YAY!! It cost $40 so this was much better than ordering a new ignition and waiting for a week or two before it arrived. G&A locks in Kitchener are really good to work with and know their stuff. Tonight will be the first time we get to fire the engine up - fingers crossed. On a side note my daughter is really appreciating the time we spend working on the car these days. We picked up some paint and Bondo and will fix up the front end good enough for driving around this year. (I plan on stripping it down to the frame 2 winters from now so this will be a good dry run.)

A number of years ago we were spending hours a day in the horse barn on her hobby now we are doing the same with mine. Gotta love that.

FontClipWork_zpswe2t2gmh.jpg

I'm going to keep an eye on your thread Clark. I enjoy reading about these restoration projects and I always learn something. Hopefully I'll have my own X1/9 one of these days. By the way, I'm in Rockwood, not too far from you.

So the smog air pump would be connected to the other end of this little air filter beside the timing belt? Just to be certain. Do I just plug the holes where they lead to?

smogairpumpt_zpsc8ayq5uu.jpg

Get yourself a 14x1.5 allen plug to block off the air pump inlet on the front side of the cylinder head and remove all the plumbing until you have room around the motor like this :thumbsup:
BQgTeZt.jpg

Get yourself a 14x1.5 allen plug to block off the air pump inlet on the front side of the cylinder head and remove all the plumbing until you have room around the motor like this :thumbsup:

Thanks Zonker - that's great. I love the space you have around your engine. Looks like I am going to be in need of a timing belt cover as well because the California one is HUGE compared to yours.

On a related note - IT RUNS. I hooked up the wiring harness to the ignition switch and after a few rotations (ok more like 30 or so) it sparked right up. A fair bit of smoke as it hasn't been started in about a month but I know that I can proceed with putting in a new timing belt and cleaning up the engine bay. I didn't want to proceed with buying one until I knew the engine actually ran. Its not free of issues as I couldn't get the wipers or turn signals to work - but hey - one step at a time. Its time to give my X some much needed love.

You'll need the yellow belt cover,and the steel tinware that is behind the timing belt too, which the cover mounts to.

Removing the air pump neatens everything up, removes unwanted weight, and improves access for regular servicing... if you need any more reasons to do it...

Great news on the key situation... getting her running is definitely a good first step... warm her up and make sure the radiator fan cycles on and off... and when the engines nice and hot, drop the oil and filter.

Timing belt is pretty straight forward if you take your time and follow the on forum 'how to' ...

SteveC

You'll need the yellow belt cover,and the steel tinware that is behind the timing belt too, which the cover mounts to.
SteveC

Thanks Steve. That's another two items for the list. Seems to me that every day now I have another item or two. How do you guys do this? Do you make a nice big Santa's list for Christmas time and tell your wife everything you need or are parts for your car treated like grocery shopping every couple of weeks? :lol:

How do we do it???

Thanks Steve. That's another two items for the list. Seems to me that every day now I have another item or two. How do you guys do this? Do you make a nice big Santa's list for Christmas time and tell your wife everything you need or are parts for your car treated like grocery shopping every couple of weeks? :lol:

Oh my Clark, you are only on the edge of the "vorteX". These cars will suck you in and before you know it you will have boxes of parts and multiple cars. You will find yourself dragging home parts cars that you purchased because the seller wouldn't sell just the wheels. And you won't want to admit to the wife that is was really two parts cars with nice wheels, but you had to cut one up on the spot (long story on that) since you only had one trailer. And you drove a nice 79 home following the tow vehicle because it was really a three X1/9 deal. :nuts:

Eventually you will look at that little 2 car garage and realize you need a new house with a second garage to store all the stuff you have accumulated. When you need a part you start digging thru boxes first to see if you already have it, because you don't really know exactly what you have.

You will try to fight the power of the vorteX. Over time, you will sell a couple cars to prove to yourself that you don't need them, but you will eventually fill the void with another old Fiat or two. Suddenly you are looking at your new house with two oversized two car garages and wondering if you can find something bigger.

You have been warned. :dance2: :grin:

The Final Chapter

After you have either expanded or purchased a house to accommodate your "hobby", there comes the time when you will retire and decide to "downsize". This means giving up the dedicated "Fiat" garage, workbenches, ramps, lifts and tools you have gathered over the years and find a tall stack of boxes, your daily driver, your wife's car and your projects all having to fit in a smallish two-car garage in a single floor house in a 55+ community that does not allow cars to be stored on your "property" because it's not your property but the community's. This is why the FSW section is so busy...:sigh: :censored: :cry:

After you have either expanded or purchased a house to accommodate your "hobby", there comes the time when you will retire and decide to "downsize". This means giving up the dedicated "Fiat" garage, workbenches, ramps, lifts and tools you have gathered over the years and find a tall stack of boxes, your daily driver, your wife's car and your projects all having to fit in a smallish two-car garage in a single floor house in a 55+ community that does not allow cars to be stored on your "property" because it's not your property but the community's. This is why the FSW section is so busy...:sigh: :censored: :cry:

Haha - I am buying a home in a 55 up community now, and I'm bringing all my Fiat stuff to be put behind the fence on my new property. Pray for me :)

Well, another milestone is reached. I now have a box of bits like everyone else :). The removal of the California air pump and assorted extras went well last night and lo and behold the engine runs better. It smoked pretty bad the day before yesterday and now it runs much smoother. That being said the air pump did not have a belt on it so maybe that was the problem. I still need to put a straight pipe in and remove the old cat but the engine now purrs like a little kitten.

So now that I have a lot more room to move around in there (thank you Steve - good argument) I have a few more questions - of course.

Cleaner_zpsbmwxdbdr.jpg

1) What is the big thingy in the left corner - I see that Zonker doesn't have one and if I can get rid of mine that would be nice.

2) What is the larger cylinder below the engine mount. Mine has a 1 inch or so tube coming out of it at the bottom but it goes nowhere and is flopping around down there. Should that tube be connected somewhere?

Number one is the carby cooling fan... it's designed to stop the carb getting heat soaked when parked, which can percolate the fuel in the fuel bowl and then make the engine hard to start.

IMO it can be dispensed with and there are other methods to prevent this happening.

Number two is the fuel vapour charcoal cannister ... contains activated charcoal (which after 40 years will be spent) and is designed to stop fuel vapours being released into the atmosphere...again it can be dispensed with. so many people seem to go for improved carburettion on these cars either in the form of twins or an improved single carb... don't feel too guilty about losing the clutter.

Just be patient and the parts you want to improve your car to your taste will find their way into your possession.... don't be in a rush or you'll pay a premium...it's not a race, keep and eye on ebay and the forum FS&W, it doesn't hurt to ask, and all good things take time.
SteveC

Thanks Steve, now I have something to do tonight! Less is more IMO and having more room in there will only help to keep me on top of everything. I must be a little OCD. Although for me it is more like Obsessive Complacent Disorder. If I care I care but if I don't well.....

Another 5 lbs lighter

Last night I removed a few more engine compartment pieces. This is just like when I was a kid and took everything apart. By the time I got finished I always had pieces left over. :grin:

cleaner2_zpsjvmbv2p1.jpg

Now for the trivia part of my post:

First - Lets call this exhibit "A" : After removing the charcoal canister I found this set of wires laying around. Does anyone know what these would be for?

whatsthis3_zpsm92qotow.jpg

Next: The carb

Most of these "extra" components have had vacuum lines that have led to the carburetor. Most I have let dangle - other than 3) which I connected to the other side of the charcoal canister which looked like it went to the fuel system somehow. The engine still runs but now I need to know what to do with the left over lines. The following is a picture of how the carb currently sits. Can someone describe to me what the various objects are and if they need to be connected somewhere?

carbhoses_zpshqsi41jg.jpg

1) Is a red wire connected to a "sensor?" that goes back through the firewall
2) Sensor that never was connected anywhere (I have a light that always says slow down on the dash - is that related?)
3) Connected to the other side of the canister
4) Canister line that now just dangles
5) Screw put in from previous owner
6) Was somehow connected to the California air pump and related "stuff"

The unconnected wires are usually for options your car doesn't have, most often A/C. I can't speak to any of the rest as mine is FI.

1) Is a red wire connected to a "sensor?" that goes back through the firewall
That's the idle stop solenoid, designed to cut fuel to the primary idle jet when the keys turned to off... so as to limit run on /dieseling with poor fuel. It's a simple magnetic solenoid that pushes / withdraw a thin plunger which closes off the idle jet hole. You can check if it is working as you should hear it click when the ignition is turned on/ off

2) Sensor that never was connected anywhere (I have a light that always says slow down on the dash - is that related?)
That's the carb cooling fan temp switch...you've remove the fan and ducting, so this switch will do mothing...itshould have two wires going to it, and it provides earth to a relay mounted over near where the cooling fan used to be

3) Connected to the other side of the canister
Fuel bowl vent hose ... should have gone to the top of the charcol cannister

4) Canister line that now just dangles
I think this one is supposed to go up to the air cleaner assembly... it connects to the small spigot on the crankcase breather pipework.

5) Screw put in from previous owner
Not sure about this one, we don't have that device on the side of Aust spec cars

6) Was somehow connected to the California air pump and related "stuff"
same with this one ...but I suspect this is a ported vacuum source and probably goes to the distributor vacuum advance pot.

If you want to cap extra spigots you can buy rubber 'tube caps' from auto parts stores... a bit like a tiny condom...gets rid of bolts / screws stuffed into rubber pipe and looks a whole lot neater

SteveC

Thanks again Steve.

And a thanks goes out to Doug as my daughter and I made it into Toronto today and picked up a few items from a guy named Joe. Joe is a nice Italian fellow who owns a parts shop just off Weston road. Joe only has red Ferrari's on the wall of his shop. No yellow. No black. Just red. :lol: Anyway he is parting out an X just in front of his business and that's where we got a passenger window, rear view mirror, door handles, shifter ball joint and a new timing belt. Thanks Joe. Other than the timing belt everything got installed this afternoon and gets us ever closer to getting on the road.

Getting a bit of rust off

We are planning on a full sandblast restoration in a couple of years but we would like to drive it this summer. So my daughter is learning a bit of bodywork.

Nothing binds a family together like an afternoon of Bondo :grin:

bondo1_zpswr0ajrgi.jpg

Back