Newbie w/ Yugo (apologies in advance)

Spank

Low Mileage
Brief History:
Bought an 86 Yugo a couple weeks ago and after making the engine run I found structural problems.

Bought an 88 Yugo yesterday and no such problems. Engine was rebuilt by PO but not sure how well. Compared to the 86, this one has had all of the California smog lines and emissions stuff deleted.

I'm going to post in the FWD section a question on carbs and what to look for with relation to the smog delete setup to make sure what remains is hooked up reasonably.

Looking forward to learning lots in the next few weeks.

Find someone who's selling or parting a 1500 X1/9 and swap the engine, trans, suspension, (seats too IIRCC). You'll have one nice and quick little brick!

yugo

don't know where in san Diego you live, but the smog Nazi's will be all over you, if non compliant with THEIR rules. sad fact indeed. on the bright side there is nobody that knows what is supposed to be installed.
and you might be approaching the yearly(not two) of a test only station. I have a 97 Tahoe and it is in that category at the tune of 80.00per test. the tech says that 90% of the test goes to the state coffers. I guess someone has to fund the super train from nowhere to nowhere.
in my humble opinion, drive the 88 and pull the other motor and rebuild it, keeping the rest for spare parts.
mikemo

Great upgrade, except the trans won't work.
The shift lever is on the wrong side of the transmission.

There are 5 speeds available for the Yugo, look for a GVX.
My GVX is an 88, I am not sure if that model was available in any other years.

The GVX was the "sport" model, 1300 vs 1100cc engine, 5 speed trans, and body moldings.

One other caveat with going to a 1500 is be aware of torque steer, a strada equal length drive is the ticket for that issue.

Other side of the country...

I have a '90 GV Plus I just posted in FS&W section... 1300F.I. 5speed. They all should have been 5 speeds. Also watch the 1500 swap as the block is quite a bit taller I have read about hood clearance issues... Good Luck!
Rocco

Don't be discouraged... there are several ways to...

skin a cat.

Obviously you have a passion for these cars and where there is a will there is a way. That goes for the smog tests as well.

Find yourself some Yugo Manuals to see what a Smog Equipped car should look like from Haynes or OEM stuff... probably via ebay. You can then SHOW your tester if they have any questions.

I'm gonna go look at what ha wrote in the "other" section and see if I can be of any help.

BTW... we have about 50 Fiat Folks between you and me and waving a 6 pack and a Pizza around can garner you some assistance in person.

Welcome to the dark side.

i forgot

I was going to mention to remove the smog sticker or plate.... but if you do, you wont get past the visual no matter how clean the car is at the tailpipe. sucks.
mikemo

BTW... we have about 50 Fiat Folks between you and me and waving a 6 pack and a Pizza around can garner you some assistance in person.

Welcome to the dark side.

Heck, I start waving a 12-pack and TWO pizzas if someone will come help me pull a trans and replace a 3rd gear syncro this weekend!

Whoa there... How bad is the crunch inti 3rd?

Pulling the trans axle and disassembling to replace ONE synchro is something one would include in an entire overhaul.

Search for Transmission 101 Steve Hoelscher's discussion. When he overhauled mine, I swore the GOOD stuff was BAD and the BAD stuff was GOOD... but that is all I know about transaxles.

Others have been quite successful though but I would not attempt it.

If the crunch is NOT too bad... drain and refill with 4 quarts of Redline MTL... nothing else but. It should take about 3 1/2 quarts and c an be had at NAPA and online. Drive up to 200 miles to notice the difference.

Some claim an IMMEDIATE improvement or a complete "fix"!

$60 bucks worth of the PROPER lube will not be wasted as it can be drained and reused if you are not satisfied. Secondly, parts and labor handing the trans to someone would be in the $500 to $1500 dollar range. Midwest Bayless, Vicks or Oberts might be of help also.

I suggest trying the MTL first.

HTH...

Secondly, parts and labor handing the trans to someone would be in the $500 to $1500 dollar range.
HTH...

So much for the 6-pack and pizza, eh? ;)

Truth be told, I'm slapping together a LeMons "racecar" for Thunderhill which is 1 week away. Finishing the cage up tomorrow.

While it may "need" a complete transmission overhaul, it's only going to get 1 syncro (and some gaskets) at best. Possibly just new gear oil and instructions to the drivers to baby 3rd gear. Or more likely just the instructions to the drivers and we'll see if it last long enough to at least burn through 1 tank of gas.

I'm the guy in our local mini club who is on the other side of this scenario and usually I'm the one coming and rebuilding transmissions and pulling/installing engines for strangers for pizza and beer (only I don't drink, so it's more like pizza and coke). If this were a mini transmission, I'd be done in about 6 hours. But since I've never played with one of these Yugoiats, having an experienced eye and pointer finger over my shoulder sure would be/woulda been helpful.

Appreciate the redline tip.

Back