Alquati 5 Speed Conversion

Mark

FIATFREAK
Anyone have one of these? I picked this up a few years back from Charlie in San Diego. It had a broken intermediate plate so I had one made by a local aerospace company. They can make more if anyone needs one. The original was a piece of poo poo.

Nice piece!

Mark - Congratulations on finding and restoring this gearbox. I'm curious what gear ratios it has. Is it designed for quick change of the 5th gear ratios while still on the car?

Paul

Not sure I would consider it a quick change, but the gears are relatively easy to remove:

Here's the ratios:

Fiat X1/9 Alquati 5 Speed
Tooth Count-Ratio
Final Drive 53/12-4.417
1st 43/12-3.583
2nd 38/17-2.235
3rd 32/22-1.455
4th 49/47-1.043
5th 44/53-0.830

Fiat X1/9 4 Speed
Tooth Count-Ratio
Final Drive 53/13-4.077
1st 43/12-3.583
2nd 38/17-2.235
3rd 32/22-1.455
4th 47/49-0.959

Fiat X1/9 5 Speed
Tooth Count-Ratio
Final Drive 53/13-4.077
1st 45/11-4.091
2nd 38/17-2.235
3rd 47/32-1.469
4th 49/47-1.043
5th 44/51-0.863

Mark

great job on finishing the transaxle. I have parts for another one that uses a Yugo ring and pinion but I seem to have lost one of the 5th gears although they are stock x19 5 speed gears. I also have a 4 speed transaxle that will go with it that the modified parts can go in. It converts a 4 speed to a 5 speed that still uses the 4 speed axles. I'm going to sell it all for $100 to anyone that wants to pick it up locally, I don't want to ship it. It will take someone that understands how to put together a transaxle.

Charlie

Wow, nice!

I have one too, but it's in pieces awaiting a rebuild into a 128 box. You did a fantastic job on the resto, as usual! Interesting to see the failure of the intermediate plate. So, are the cast parts the only non-Fiat bits? Curious in case I need any replacement parts.

Hi Courtney! Hope you're doing well - All the internals appear to be OEM or equivalent, but I don't think they are directly from the FIAT 5 speed. I think the shift fork has "GMP" cast in it, which I've seen on Lancia & FIAT transmissions.

I have one too, but it's in pieces awaiting a rebuild into a 128 box. You did a fantastic job on the resto, as usual! Interesting to see the failure of the intermediate plate. So, are the cast parts the only non-Fiat bits? Curious in case I need any replacement parts.

Hey Courtney... NASCAR! My wife says you're...

working on/for a NASCAR team. Care to elaborate if so? I personally would like to hear more.

We were playing out in your old stomping grounds yesterday and the day was BEAUTIFUL. Thought of you then and hope you are well...

Cool. Well, at least I now know someone who has assembled one in case I get stuck. :) I've built enough 128/X transaxles that I'm sure it's straightforward, but you never know till you get there.

Nope, not NASCAR...

Hey Tony,
I'm doing well, still out in NC. Not working on any race teams though, still doing armored vehicles. I interviewed with a team about 2 years ago but apparently my pay scale from the armored vehicle biz put me above their director of engineering! Anyway, I've got a few alternative options that I'm considering but haven't made any decisions yet. In the meantime, I have plenty of Fiats to keep me busy. Derelict east coast cars keep sneaking their way into my shop. I have to roll one outside just to make room to work on one. Hopefully I can find time to visit SoCal and see you guys. Its been too long!

WOW! Do let us know if you ever head this way...

So... You are armor-plating old FIATS?

I thought they were underpowered enough without adding all that extra weight...

HA!

Back