Help me with a Midwest shopping list

Clark

True Classic
My wife just sent me an email with the grocery list I need to fill on my way home from work tonight. On a related note I will be going to Florida for two weeks and it just so happens that I will be passing Columbus, Ohio on my way down :) I need more than a few things for my X but I don't know enough to prioritize the order. Please help......

(Total budget needs to stay below about $600 or there abouts)

So far I am considering:

1) Gas tank
2) Front and rear upper strut mount's (Or do I need the Spring Perch Pair Rear?)
3) Weather stripping (all around really)
4) Carpet

I've already purchased a timing belt and fixed a passenger window that was busted. What I am looking for are suggestions of those fairly major things that I need but may not know that I need them. Any help would be really appreciated. The car is running but what else should I be looking for?

The only difference between ordering online for delivery and picking up is that you pay for shipping, so it makes sense to pick up things in person that:

1. Would be costly to ship due to size or weight

AND/OR

2. Are the kind of things that you don't know you need it until "BAM" you need it, and the cost of shipping is almost the same as the item you need

AND/OR

3. Are the kind of thing that your local AdvancePepZone parts store would not have in a million years

So, the gas tank definitely falls under #1 and #3
Carpet is #1 and #3
Gaskets for typical needs like leaky cam tower, valve cover, etc would be #2
When doing the timing belt, conventional wisdom says to do the tensioner bearing, too, so get one of them

shipping

Clark, I ship stuff to Port Huron, MI all the time, its about 45 minutes from my place. We run over every few weeks to pick up things and get back over the border with no real issues. Looks like you're about 3 hours from the border, so that's a bit of a drive. Shipping directly into Canada can be a PITA and a lot of $$. Just my 2¢. Have a great trip to FL.

Upper strut mounts

If you're replacing the upper strut mounts I'd recommend getting the Plaia-designed set that Chris Obert sells, they are better than OEM. I don't see them on MWB's storefront.

While you're dealing with the struts, also install "Plaia Pivots" in the front. These are flat bearings that replace the greased phenolic washer. Great steering improvement. It looks like MWB has similar units.

Also, you might install the Plaia "strut tower doubler plates" if you have an early car with weaker towers, or a later car with stiff springs. The Plaia strut tops have longer studs specifically to handle these plates, which install between the strut top and strut tower. It appears MWB has similar plates available.

Steve, I probably should have mentioned that I plan on upgrading my engine this coming winter. I would like to see my car with between 150 - 250 HP after all is said and done. From what I've read I will need to upgrade my suspension at that time but the upper mount bushings I have in the car right now are really showing signs of wear. Should I be looking into more heavy duty bushings at this time or would the Plaia-designed set be adequate for more power?

14RoughRubber_zpstmc6uegg.jpg

what approach are you going to use to get over 200HP?

I was looking to put in a more recent engine design. I see the advantages of a newer engine as one of those cases where I don't mind not going stock. I'm watching the ecotec build with interest at the moment.

Choices

Hi Clark,

You seems like doing a lot of thinking before making any moves. This is good. If you were planning long term modifications and wanting to run the car stock for a few years, replacing used parst is making sense. But if you do already plan to hop-up the engine over the winter, with number as high as over 150hp, then you will have to consider everything is working together in a car. A more powerful engine, will require an upgrade suspension, better brakes (but maybe just pads), better tires (probably wider) etc. So you will have to decide what KIND of ride you want. A show car, a daily driver, a week-end racer? These choices will lead to a better understanding of what you need. Maybe some stock parts, but also maybe some upgrades. If you want to do some racing, go all the way with camber plates and coil-over suspension. If you just want more power for the street, the suspension could still be upgrade, but less radical (softer springs, maybe no camber plates, maybe just KYB with shortened springs).

This forum is a great tool for you. There are many nice people with a lot of knowledge, but also wise enough to give proper recommandation. (I didn't say "old". Didn't want to offend Tony...). I know what I would do with your car. But this may not be what you are looking for. So ask more questions. You will get different answers sometimes, but then you will be able to pick between the choices that seems logic to you, or thrust more some people than others.

Have fun!

Daniel Forest
Montréal, Canada
1980 black Fiat X1/9
1987 white Bertone X1/9

Excellent perspective Daniel. Ultimately I would like to take my car to work (there and back 60 miles) most days in the summer when the weather is good. Lets say 3 days a week roughly. I might go to the track a few times but rarely. I am leaning toward coil-over suspension but unsure which ones or what configuration. I am running 205 60 R13's at the moment so they will work for a while yet.

Back