48 bhp California Emissions 1975 X1/9

Austin74

True Classic
I owned a 1975 X1/9 when I was 16 (waaaaay back in 1979) that I could swear had a sticker on the door that said it complied with California emissions and had 48 bhp. I was heartbroken when I first found the sticker. It's acceleration was similar to that of a hot air balloon, but I loved it and it was still a lot of fun to tackle Skyline Boulevard with in Portland, or to drive to parties at Frenchman's Bar with in Vancouver. Has anyone out there seen such a sticker on their car? I suspect I was in a very elite club of those with the slowest-ever production X1/9s.

Last edited:
Yes to the sticker...

All the US X1/9's were California emissions compliant. Possibly all the North American X1/9's, I'm not sure on that point.

But I think you may be mis-remembering the 48hp thing. I've never seen that.

Pete

I suspect I was in a very elite club of those with the slowest-ever production X1/9s.

Nah - they got slower. Weight increased steadily over the years, and the low point for the motor would probably be the late '78 cars which lost some compression to the large-flycut pistons while keeping the other emissions-control indignities of its predecessors.

Hi Austin

My 1974 factory manual lists the 74 at 60.5 horse power. I have owned several 74's and the stock one is really slow. In 75 the X19 got a catalytic converter, a more restrictive exhaust manifold a smaller carb and a taller air filter. The 75 also added weight with bumpers and inner body changes, engine cover and inner fender liners. It also came with a 4:42 ring and pinion which gave back some of the performance lost to the more smoged motor and added weight. I owned two 75's and none of them had a sticker on the door claiming 48 HP but these were California cars. In 76 the smog laws were changed from parts per million to parts per mile. So the 76 cars started out with 4:42 ring and pinions then changed back to the 4:08 r/p as found on the 74 which reduced the parts per mile numbers. All x19 after that time had the 4:08 but continued to add weight and as Eric said reduced compression on the late 1300's. In 79 they added EGR and that was removed when FI came in on some of the 1980 cars and all the 1981 cars. All the 79 and later cars were 1500's.

Cheers
Charlie

Different numbers

The sources that I have state 66hp for 1974 and 61 for the 1300s after that.
67hp for carbed 1500 and 75hp for FI.

Interesting info on the gearing. I didn't know they switched back to the 4.08.
My 49-states 1977 car (no cat) had the 4:42 though.

I have never seen an X with a sticker stating the hp anywhere.

Probably the wrong sticker

This is probably the wrong CA emissions sticker since it is on the windshield, doesn't mention HP and and is from my CA 1978, not a 75. Other than those minor points.... :whistle:.... dead on. :dance2:

IMG_16721.jpg

The bright spot by the 3.01 is the flash. It is indeed 3.01. Nothing hiding under the flash. I took 6 pictures and this was the best. I did wipe 3 years of dust off the windshield first.

Thank you

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I guess I'm remembering it wrong. It really stuck in my head at the time, though. On the other hand, it was a long, long time ago!

I cant open the driver's door right now

I cant open the driver's door right now because of the way I have the 78 stored. Is the sticker you remember in the door jamb or on the glass somewhere? I don't see any unusual sticker on the DS glass. If it was in the jamb, I will try to remember to look next time I have a chance to open the door.

Calif gearing...

Only the Cat equipped 4-spd Calif Xs had 4.08 final drive ratio.
This was to reduce chances of catalyst overheating.
They also had "SLOW DOWN" light, triggered by catalyst temperature.
49-state Xs had 4.42 ratio.

Interesting info on the gearing. I didn't know they switched back to the 4.08.
My 49-states 1977 car (no cat) had the 4:42 though.

interesting Ulix

I thought all cars produced in 75 and later for the us market had a cat. Does you exhaust exit on the right or left side?

Charlie

74s in California had 66 hp

and the 75s had 61.5. Things didn't improve until the 1500.

I remember having my '74 in for body repair and paint after a young dipsh*t driving a mid-60s Dodge station wagon made a left turn right in front of my 6 month old car. It was in the shop for around 7 weeks and I was jonesin' so much for a drive that I visited the Fiat dealer in Costa Mesa and took a new '75 out for a test drive. I remember that 4.5 hp (who does that... a .5 hp!) drop-off being noticeable.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Charlie,

for the non-cat version, a straight pipe was simply installed instead of the cat. That was it.
The sticker on the door jamb read "non-catalyst" so it wasn't a PO mod.

Wow guys

No cat. That blows me away. I had no idea that ever happened. Live and learn. Wonder how they got away with that, was there an engine size or weight limit like the 74 weight limit for the bumpers or the engine size on the early 850's that got them by the smog rules?

Charlie

Yup, California and 49-state versions from 1975-80.

In the early 1300s the differences involved final drive ratio, freeway speed smog switches in the trans, and whether or not it had a cat. The air injection pollution control was on all cars regardless of California or 49 state designation.

Late 77-79 carb cars, the Cali cars got full EGR treatment and cat, where the 49 state cars got a more simplistic air injection set up. All had cats.

In 1980 the decision was to make all Cali spec cars Fuel Injection (first in the world for FIAT), while the 49 state cars stayed carb and got the 1979 California full EGR treatment.

Then in 1981 all were fuel injection and no distinction between Cali and 49 state.

-M

'70s smog standards...

It wasn't that 49-state cars were getting by smog rules.
It was that Calif cars had to meet stricter state standards
than the federal standards of cars destined for other states.

As a result, performance of many Calif destined cars
lagged behind their 49-state equivalent.
One exception as mid 70's Monza, which offered 262 V8 in 49 states,
but 262 motor wasn't Calif smog certified, so Calif buyers got 350 V8!

No cat. That blows me away. I had no idea that ever happened. Live and learn. Wonder how they got away with that, was there an engine size or weight limit like the 74 weight limit for the bumpers or the engine size on the early 850's that got them by the smog rules?

Charlie

Matt I'm confused

I have read that all 75 and later us gasoline powered cars had cats but others have said the early x's didn't except for California, which is where I am. Now you say that they all did have cats, am I understanding that correctly?

Charlie

Back