How about a "How To" section?

Colltech

'85 and '83
I have a question / idea that I want to float.

This forum is great for many purposes, social, fun, buy/sell/swap parts, moral support, etc. But to me, its greatest value is the information it contains on "how to" do things.

Tackling a problem or a project on an X that would be child's play on most other cars often requires techniques, tricks, tools, etc. that can only be gleaned from previous experience or learned from someone else who has been there and done that. Having the ability to benefit from the combined expertise and knowledge of hundreds of X1/9 owners is to me, the single greatest value that xweb delivers. I am sure many of you feel the same.

The answer to almost every question, problem or challenge is contained somewhere on these pages. The problem is finding it! More and more frequently, searching for commonly needed information returns pages and pages of crap to sift through before getting to the actual solution.

While I understand is the unavoidable consequence of the same questions being asked every possible different way over many years, the end result is it is getting harder and harder to actually find the answer you want. Moreover, most the people who actually know the right answer probably posted it years ago and have reached the point of exhaustion in having to answer it again and again!

Would be possible to start a new category called "How To" and limit it the best answers/posts from the past on how to do commonly needed things? For example, How To: set ignition timing, do the brown wire mod, bleed the slave cylinder, replace the steering rack bushing, etc. etc. I'd guess there are dozens of these common fixes that most of us had to tackle at some point and there are dozens of great how to's floating around Workshop Forum but they are probably down around page 12 or more!

Maybe we could form a volunteer "committee" of the more senior contributors to decide what does or does not go into "How To" and to then pick the best of the best previous posts for inclusion. The category should not be open to anyone posting - the posts therein would be moderated by the committee.

I know it would be a lot of work but think of the value! One place to find all the best descriptions of how to address the hardest challenges! All easy to find and vetted for correctness.

Just a thought - feel free to flame away.

Ed

We do have a best of section, however I have appreciated what the VWVortex often had which was similar to your request.

http://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I think the key to this working would be some form of a file service so the things deemed best could be made into PDFs and hosted so the pics and so on would remain. The Vortex doesn't do this and as a result so many of the excellent how to's have been utterly gutted with no images, and our own best of suffers from this same issue sadly.

(dang, Jeff beat me to the punch!)

Last edited by a moderator:
The "Best of" Wiki serves much of the purpose you are suggesting. Curating the information from the forums is quite a bit of work, which is probably why the Wiki section is not growing as fast as one might wish.

<snip>
I think the key to this working would be some form of a file service so the things deemed best could be made into PDFs and hosted so the pics and so on would remain.
The "Best of" Wiki does allow image / pdf hosing, unlike the forums.

Yes I also have had similar thoughts. And the problem of the pictures disappearing is frustrating.

I have looked though some of the old posts and read though some of them very close gaining a LOT of knowledge and then the text say's. oh and look at this pic. (and their is NO pic) I think.. Rat's.. that is something I wanted to see.

That comment about maybe turning it into a pdf or something so the pic's will remain years from now.

(you know a lot of this information would be of GREAT value 50-100 years from now if someone was trying to work on an X)

So much information gets lost in time. We have some VERY bright people sharing their wealth of information. It's a crying shame to think that it will disappear with time.!!!!

File storage

The wiki does have an option to upload files (see the "upload file link in the toolbox). You obviously need to be logged on to use this.

If it doesn't work for you, please let me know.

I did make a concerted attempt to upload all the file content I had when I set up the wiki, but admittedly I have been a bit slack maintaining the content recently with two little kids keeping me busy.

That said, the wiki is supposed to be a collaborative thing, so I'd certainly be interested if anyone was having issues adding content.

The advantage of storing files and images in the wiki is that they don't "disappear" (as per other file / image hosting providers).

Dom.

We do have a best of section, however I have appreciated what the VWVortex often had which was similar to your request.

http://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I think the key to this working would be some form of a file service so the things deemed best could be made into PDFs and hosted so the pics and so on would remain. The Vortex doesn't do this and as a result so many of the excellent how to's have been utterly gutted with no images, and our own best of suffers from this same issue sadly.

(dang, Jeff beat me to the punch!)

Last edited by a moderator:
new thread for xweb

I have been trying to have the moderators to open a thread for loaning tools for freight back and forth only (papa tony in charge) to no avail.
I have 40 years of factory tools here and willing to loan them to xe'rs in need.
the work shop forum is a place to look for answers, and if you have time, I suggest you delve into all the pages to find an answer to questions.............or post a new thread there. I am pretty sure you will be swamped with advice and wisdom.:dance2:
mikemo

Anyone can open a thread...

Anyone can open a thread by creating a post, you don't need our help to do this.

I have several long "how to" posts that I would like to add

But these two lines at the start of the Wiki:

"To request a login, please click here

For help with Wiki formatting, refer to this page. "

Tell me that it is going to be a dragged out process. For instance, my AC thread would be a good addition. But, "formatting"?! What tha'! Log in? Just let me post up what I have written and I will gladly do so.

Wiki questions.

But these two lines at the start of the Wiki:

"To request a login, please click here

For help with Wiki formatting, refer to this page. "

Tell me that it is going to be a dragged out process. For instance, my AC thread would be a good addition. But, "formatting"?! What tha'! Log in? Just let me post up what I have written and I will gladly do so.

Hi Larry,

I'm not sure whether these comments were ironic, but I'll respond anyway just to ensure there are no misunderstandings.

The process to request a login is very straightforward (no more complicated than the process to get a login to the forum itself). We initially experimented with anonymous authoring but it quickly lead to hundreds of "spam" pages which took some time to clean up. We then allowed the logins to be created without an approval stage, but again the "bots" took advantage of this to create accounts and post spam. So we ended up with what we have today where you apply for a login that needs to get manually approved (to prove you are not simply a spammer).

In terms of the formatting, our wiki uses the standard wikimedia format. You don't really need to learn the syntax (there are buttons up the top of the editor to do it for you) but it simply helps if you intend on editing a lot of pages. Again, though, rally no more complicated than writing a post on the forum.

I would really suggest simply giving it a go. If you run into any difficulties, we are here to help.

Dom.

O.K., now that I understand why the process is in place

I may give it a try next time I have a quiet day. The Wiki is way underutilized. Many of the same questions about maintenance come up repeatedly and it certainly would be nice to add a few more "how to's"

Back