Seat belt question

beezee

True Classic
Did all the X1/9 model years come with both a lap belt and shoulder harness, or did early models come with only a lap belt? I am looking at a 1975 model and it only has the lap belt. I realize this may change depending on the market, so the one I looked at is a Canadian version.

My 78 has lap only

My 78 has lap belts only. It is an early 78 build, late 78 builds had 3-point belts and also had the frunk release moved from the glove box to the drivers footwell. These were changes being made as production headed into the 79 model year, where the change list is too long to think about.

Added trivia

The early self retracting lap belts were not available in Europe.
Instead, early euro models had fixed 3-point belts with a little plastic hook at the targa bar to hang up the belt when not in use.

Regulations and local customer habits play funny games.
In 1974, euro customers put on the somewhat clumsy but quite safe 3-point belt voluntarily, while US customers were forced by the (US only) seatbelt interlock system to put on the almost useless lap belt. :grin:

...while US customers were forced by the (US only) seatbelt interlock system to put on the almost useless lap belt. :grin:

Now now Ulix, this is the land of the *free*, not *forced*, here.

We're free to buy the safety systems mandated by the federal government.

We're free to pay a fine for not using the supplied safety equipment.

We're free to be ticketed for routing said safety equipment, say, under the arm instead of over the shoulder.

Yeah, this freedom stuff is awesome here. :sigh:

That's some interesting trivia! It would be amazing to know all the country-specific things that FIAT had to do on the X over the years.

belt trivia

even in 74/76 the x was prepared for a three point harness.
under the inside vents of the "roll" bar targa you will see plastic plugs that cover threaded holes for the shoulder strap. guess they were thinking out of the box on that one. but if you decide to use a 3 point, the belt maker "tappan" had unique threads as all safety devices did (brakes) and that was so you couldn't use substandard hardware.
good looking car and welcome to the fray!!
mikemo

Yup, I converted my 1974 US spec car to euro static 3-point belts with no problems, simple bolt-in.

Yup, I converted my 1974 US spec car to euro static 3-point belts with no problems, simple bolt-in.
Old thread, hopefully someone sees this. Can retractable, 3-point systems be added to a U.S. 1974 X 1/9? I see small, round plugs on the B-pillar, but when looking on the Bayless site, I didn't find a '74 3-point system as an available part. I would add them for sure if they were available and reliable.

If the mounting points are present then yes they are available, you can’t get the original Klippan belts new anymore but Securon UK still do them. I got a new set from my local motor factors.

Wasn't there another thread about this just recently? If so it may offer more info. But as I recall you can add the later 3-point belts to your '74. They won't be listed as "1974 belts" though, look for ones from a newer model year.

Where are you mounting the retractor? On later Xs with three point belts has very specific brackets welded in to mount the retractor and I don't believe the two point belts have these brackets.

Where are you mounting the retractor? On later Xs with three point belts has very specific brackets welded in to mount the retractor and I don't believe the two point belts have these brackets.
That is under investigation. Anything you find out, please post here. :) It seems there is a plugged hole in the B pillar for the upper connection, but I have to study how the two-point feeder is attached to the frame currently.

If I'm not mistaken - and this is going from memory, the reason why it's lap only was because it's a convertible. I found this note:

"Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 208 mandated front outboard shoulder belts on all cars made starting Jan 1, 1968. Convertibles were excepted" FMVSS 216 covers roof crush requirements.

My other 1976 coupe has 3-point belts - my '78 X1/9 did not (lap only). My guess? - It is some aspect to the FMVSS requirement for convertibles. BTW: I kept getting pulled over in my '78 for "you're not wearing your seat belt" - and I point down at the lap belt, and they let me go every time.

Further digging:

(Alfa Romeo in correspondence with NHTSA)
As stated above, however, installation of a lap belt at front designated seating positions would excuse all passenger cars from both the lateral and the roll-over requirements.

Last edited:
Back