When is it time to throw in the towel....

sbortoloni

1980 X 1/9
Hi all, i have been working on my X for 4-5 years now. i find the typical rust and wire issues that you all have seen. I recently came across an issue with the driver side headlight. It appears that the rust has eaten away at the cross member that holds the motor in place. This brings me to my original question. When do you say a car is too far to rebuild? I am losing faith.....

When to quit

I have had the same thoughts. Have had mine in the shop now for well over a year, cutting out rusty panels and patching. It is on a rotisserie with everything stripped off. Don't know how long it will take....
Mine is a 74 with vin# 9201 so it is an early one...
And I have not even touched the engine, other than pulling the head.

There are a full range of us working on a crap box to a real beauty...I guess it is simply the eye of the beholder....
Good luck
Glen

Hi all, i have been working on my X for 4-5 years now. i find the typical rust and wire issues that you all have seen. I recently came across an issue with the driver side headlight. It appears that the rust has eaten away at the cross member that holds the motor in place. This brings me to my original question. When do you say a car is too far to rebuild? I am losing faith.....
The advice that follows is free and worth no more than what you've paid for it.....

A lot depends on how much time and energy and money you're willing to put it into it going forward. That in turn depends on whether you will enjoy the restoration process itself, or whether it's just a chore to get through on the way to the goal.... and if the latter, is the goal worth the effort? To answer that question you need a pretty good idea of what all the tasks ahead of you are. Papa Tony says that the way you eat an elephant is one bite at a time, and he's right - but you still want to know how big the elephant is. Then you can make a rational choice as to whether to continue or not.

It's just a car, so its feelings won't be hurt if you set the project aside for a while... and either you find yourself thinking about returning to the challenge, or you find yourself thinking wistfully about less needy projects.

Have had mine in the shop now for well over a year, cutting out rusty panels and patching. ....
And I have not even touched the engine, other than pulling the head.

The good news is that the bodywork and rust repair is the long slog part of the process. Getting the drivetrain together and putting an interior back into a chassis that's had a full rotisserie treatment.... that's things getting better in front of your eyes.

The advice that follows is free and worth no more than what you've paid for it.....

A lot depends on how much time and energy and money you're willing to put it into it going forward. That in turn depends on whether you will enjoy the restoration process itself, or whether it's just a chore to get through on the way to the goal.... and if the latter, is the goal worth the effort? To answer that question you need a pretty good idea of what all the tasks ahead of you are. Papa Tony says that the way you eat an elephant is one bite at a time, and he's right - but you still want to know how big the elephant is. Then you can make a rational choice as to whether to continue or not.

It's just a car, so its feelings won't be hurt if you set the project aside for a while... and either you find yourself thinking about returning to the challenge, or you find yourself thinking wistfully about less needy projects.

Eric, when is the car's condition too bad to keep going forward?

Money can fix anything (on a car).
In terms of investment, given the low value of our cars, most are not worth even a moderate rust repair and repaint (if you pay normal rate for it).
If you want a nice one, buy one. If you want to make yours nice then I think you really need to want to either spend a lot of money or time or a mix of both.
I'm in the same boat. I've spent untold hours on the mechanicals of mine and enjoyed it. I drive it almost everyday and enjoy it so I'm happy.
It's horribly rusty and VERY ugly and it's becoming more than just cosmetic so I have to choose too, either I start getting serious about fixing up the rust issues or I have to ditch it and go buy a nice one.
I would do it all my self since paying for it is not an option for me. It would be about $10,000 to pay for body and paint and that's silly when you can buy a really nice one for less than that and be driving it today, again, unless you choose to.

Depends on how much you care about the car

If it has sentimental value, you could/should go to extremes to fix it. If you just want an X1/9, there are nice ones that are so cheap that fixing a rusty one isn't economical. Part it out and go shopping.

Wires and solder is chaep and wiring diagrams are available so the real issue is the rust. If you are going to fix the rust, you are going to be really really upside-down on it if you don't do the work yourself. I took-on restoring my rusty Lancia mainly becasue I love it but couldn't justify paying someone else to fix it. It was beyond my skills at the time but the skills I needed were ones I wanted to learn so I dove in. It would have cost many times the car's value to have had someone else to do the metal work. Sheet metal is cheap and eight-hundred dollars for a nice Mig welder is a small investment compared to the shop-rate of a guy that could do the work. Better than that...if you have a good freind that will loan you a nice MIG welder like I do (forum member Dallarax1/9 take a bow), you are even further ahead. :thumbsup:

So for insperational purposes, here are some pictures of a way-too-far-gone-Beta that I fixed for not a lot of money. Well, I did spend a fortune paying someone else to paint it but I didn't strictly have to do that. I had posted some of these pictures a year or so ago but someone thought my thread was a good jumping-off point to pontificate about General Motors (no I am not kidding) so I took it down.

Full restoration photolog here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.115132145180952.15361.100000525018141&type=1&l=b1a40f1968

44543_147181265309373_8301286_n.jpg

24896_113729615321205_4155782_n.jpg

41112_150173765010123_724471_n.jpg

551474_402141093146721_609521524_n.jpg

40054_148214201872746_1777973_n.jpg

10557070_871827416178084_3485139161124338058_o.jpg

Eric, when is the car's condition too bad to keep going forward?

I'm sorry, but I don't have a good answer. It's whenever the amount of remaining work is more than you will ever want to do.

That means having a good understanding of how much work there is (know how big the elephant is, to use Papa Tony's saying) and also how much you are willing to do. The latter can change with time (taking some time off can be reenergizing) but if it's always going to be less than the former it's time to look for a less needy project.

But it's very personal. I've seen cars restored that I would have written off as hopeless, and I've seen cars parted that made me want to cry for the lost opportunity.

what is too far.

My friend Jeff miller picked up this from a field.

capture.jpg

capture2.jpg

10ish years later, he won several awards as well as magazine shoots.

capture3.jpg

capture4.jpg

I dont think this kind of task is for everyone though. and this was before he had kids.

Odie

I suppose there is no hard line in determining when a car is "too far gone" to bother restoring. I have seen show cars built from mere threads of original metal.

The answer lies more in "how much do you want THAT particular car"?

The problem with sinking tons of time and money into X1/9's is that even when fully restored, they simply don't have much market value. You will never be able to make the decision to resto an X1/9 based on what it will be worth to someone else when finished. Its about what is worth to YOU.

I recently saved a very rusted X from the wrecker. I kept good records on everything spent. I did all the bodywork, welding, metal repair, electric, interior, mechanical, etc. myself and only sent it out for final paint (and I got a good deal on that as well). All told, I actually believe I could sell the car for more money that I spent. I probably have around $4,250 in hard costs and I suspect the car would sell for over $8,000 (its pretty perfect).

However, when I factor in the cost of my labor even at a minimal $20 an hour, I'd have to get around $58,000 to break even (2 years X 25 hours per week X 52 weeks X $20 per hour = $52,000)!

The point is, I would never sell that car - I have way to much physically and emotionally invested in bringing it back to life. Had I spent that time on restoring a 67 Mustang, it might be worth ten times as much.

The good news is, if you just want an X because you them, there are plenty for sale for under $3,000 that are probably in much better condition rust-wise than yours. You could chop yours up for parts, sell them and recoup much of the cost of another car. If however, you love that particular X, that its just a question of how much you love it.

Ed

I am looking at a few X for sale and most have minor rust and the paint is really bad on all. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to drop the car off at a shop to repair minor rust and repaint same exact color? Not looking for show car standards but simply a fun weekend car.

Most shops I would bet you're at $3,000.
If you strip it down and do a bunch of prep that would help a lot.

Back