New SCCA Heritage Classic Solo classes

mighty mouse

Low Mileage
SCCA has announced 2 new provisional autocross (solo) classes for pre-1975 import cars called "Heritage Classic Street" and "Heritage Classic Race". As a member of the SCCA Heritage Classic ad-hoc committee I wanted any interested owners of Fiat X1/9's and Fiat 850's to consider making this activity a part of what you do with your cars. You can inspect the rules by visiting SCCA, autocross, cars and rules and scroll down to "Heritage Classic 2016"------or contact me: craigsfiat*gmail.com

pre-75??

Since 1974 was the first year of US production, they won't get many X1/9s in that class.

Jim: Not so fast !! If the car was introduced in 1974 or earlier all models of that car are eligible such as later X1/9's and 124 Spiders and Coupes. And update engines and trans is al lowed in HCR (i.e. 1498 engine in a 1290 cc X1/9.
Spread the word and thanks.
Craig

HC

Hi Craig,

I was happy to see HC was coming back for this summer. Last year rules were clear, mostly based on the old GP ones. But I got problems deciding what is allowed in each HCS/HCR classes. So you say a 1498cc engine would automatically fall in HCR? I was thinking it would be OK in HCS:
"Engine may be updated to any available from the manufacturer for that model through its generations. "

There is no Wheel widht limit mentionned in HCS ("Any metallic wheels are allowed")while in HCR a maximum width of 8" is specified. No mentions of diameter. 15" would be allright? (It wasn't in the past).

From what I read in the Heritage Classic rules on the SCCA pages my car would be legal in HCS even with a pair of DCOE's, internal engine modifications, adjustable coil-overs, camber plates, headers, etc. All I would need would be 200 UTGQ rated tires... which are not easy to find in 13" but not a problem in 15".

Do I got something wrong?

Daniel Forest
Montréal, Canada
1980 HC X1/9
1987 FSP X 1/9

Well that's confusing

Hi Craig,

I will have to check with the local club and see if they have these classes this summer. Maybe they have to?

I ran in DP for a couple years in my 85X. It has a performance head and headers, so they said I couldn't be in a stock class. No matter, I am not a very good driver. When I clip a cone, I find myself looking in the rear view mirror to see where it went. :tomato:

I do smile all the way around the track. :grin:

My local Autocross club is using the heritage classes as well and I'm curious about the inclusion of late model X 1/9s. I have a 1986 with coilovers, sway bars and 15 rims and tires (200 UTQG). All else is stock. Would I be in the HCS or HCR?

Daniel: Your X1/9 would have to run in HCR because, among other things, it has coil over springs which is not allowed in HCS.
Craig

Your 86 X1/9 would be in HCR because of the coil over springs. I suggest that you digest the HC rules on the SCCA website.
Craig

Your 86 X1/9 would be in HCR because of the coil over springs. I suggest that you digest the HC rules on the SCCA website.
Craig
I ran across this thread and wanted to correct something from Craig Way. The HCS does allow coil overs. To quote from the SCCA HCS rules:

"Alternate springs are allowed, but must be of the same type as OE and attach at original locations."

Coil overs meet that rule. They are the same type, coil springs, and attach at the original mounting points. HCS has similar rules to Street Prepared except for tires and engine. You can run with modified engine internals, i.e. you can have a full race prepared motor! This is a great class for the X1/9.

Back