is 155/80-r13 so wrong?

BellaMacchina

1976 Fiat X1/9
This is the tire that came with my car when I bought it.

The tires rub when making sharp turns, but really only in the parking lots. I have mostly gotten used to not turning the wheels over hard.

Lots of these tires are available from several sources.

What is the original tire size for a 1976 from the dealership?

I assume I have original rims. Do you think they are 4.5" rims? Do I need to change rims to go with 165's in the future?

M

Probably 4 1/2" rims

Original wheels on a '76 are likely 4 1/2". Original tyre width on the first Italian release cars were 145s. Even my '75 had that combination when I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago.

Cheers,

Rob

I'm unsure WHY you would want to install them...

If money is an issue, I don't think you can beat the Achilles 185/60s for about $36 bucks a piece.

If it is complete ORIGINALITY you are looking for... and if those were indeed the original size tires, then by all means.

I'm gonna throw this out WITHOUT researching it but I THINK 1974's may have come with 4 1/2 inch wheels and MAY have had the 155/70's, but I thought the smallest tire I ever saw was a 165/70.

I am pretty sure that they went to 5 inch rims after that and 165/70s as my '79 came with those (no rubbing) and with a dealer installed after market wheel at 5.5 inches. I installed one or two sets of 175/70s (which rubbed as you described) and they worked BETTER, but were still a terrible performing tire.

Wasn't 'til about '99 I went to Sumitumo 185/60s all around that I found a tires that performed properly, (finally) and I have used them ever since... but in a staggered configuration... mostly for looks.

So... pick a category, price, originality, performance, availability and then make a decision.

HTHs

so here is the thing...

First of all I am a fiat dummy, I have nothing to compare it too. I have my existing 155/80-13's on and I am having a blast.

So my question is, please don't take it the wrong way...

What is the closest tire size to 185/60-13's I can get that are from a major manufacturer?

I can get uni royal, toyo and Goodyear and maybe michelin in 155/80-13.

Is there not an advantage to getting a major manufactured tire in a different size than to have to put up with lesser brand tires that may not balance? It is only a question...please don't shoot me! LOL.

I know I can get toyo proxies in 185/60-13 (r888) but I don't feel like slipping and sliding every time it rains. And i don't know if 185/60-13 will even fit properly on my 4.5" rims

M

Last edited:
Sorry Mike if ya thought we were shootin' atcha...

We ain't... we're just sayin...

Use this tire calculator to answer ALL your SIZING questions:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

I'm glad you are having fun out there with the 155's but I don't think I would replace them with the same size tire.

As for your rim width... I see the minimum "recommended" for a 185/60 is 5 inches... and that brings up a few ideas in my mind.

1. A 4.5 inch wheel would probably work without and noticeable problems.

2. Its also the perfect excuse to purchase some wider wheels, which is the perfect excuse to go to a 15 inch wheel, which is the perfect excuse to buy just about any tire your heart desires. (Welcome to the Upgrade Treadmill...)

As for balance and out of round issues... they have been here since DAY 1 as far as 13's go... AFAIK. I wouldn't recommend Proxes either (UTOQ=100) as they will wear out in a month, they cost a bunch, they're a mess in water, and they are meant for the track.

Its been MY experience that the 185/60s made my car sooooo much safer in handling and braking over the 165 and 175/70s, that I may get a bit too excited with their recommendation. So... please don't take me (us) wrong... we just would hate to see you spend money (usually more, BTW) and get so much less.

I'm about to install my INDONESIAN 185/60x13 tires ($31) on the front of my car and my CHINESE 205/60x13 tires on the back... and I'll post the results here soon.

If the 185/60-13's will fit on my existing rims why not, I will try it!

I am also very excited to experience better handling, as I have nothing to compare it to.

M

Not sure about the USA, but certainly here in Australia a tyre store just won't fit 185's onto a 4.5 inch wide rim... it opens them up to all sorts of litigious issues and is against the law...

Minimum rim width for a 185 is 5 inch. Maximum tyre width for a 4.5 inch rim is 175.

Original Michelin XZX tyres were 145sr13 (which were actually a 78% profile to be exact)

SteveC

Steve is LEGALLY correct as I have found many...

tire shops and CHAINS that refuse to install any other tire (size) than what the factory provided. Especially in this litigious society here in LA-LA-LAND!

I found that my local COSTCO and WALMART stores wouldn't but I have a Mom and Pop guy that does. Ask Tire-easy if they drop-ship to a reasonable tire installer near you... or if you have a choice of many... and call them to be sure you'll have no problems with them installing the tires, FIRST.

I don't think most folks would even know what to do or what was OE for our cars, or that actually cares that much to give you a problem. You could ask FIRST before you commit yourself though.

LASTLY... using this tire calculator again...

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

It actually states that a 185/60 can be fitted to a 4.5 to 7 inch wide rim. It also states a 165/70 can be fitted to a 4 to 6 inch rim... and as an alternate, the 175/60 can be fitted to a 4.5 to 6 inch wide rim. You could print out the page and take it with you as well. It would appear though, that this whole thing is kinda "subjective" though. I think we can all agree a 13 inch tire will NOT fit a 14 inch wheel... but as to the rim width, it appears the LAWS and the PREFERENCES vary.

(Back in the day my Model T Hot Rod had 1100x16 Goodyear Racing slicks on 10 inch rims on the rear... and 5.60x15 VW Bias-Ply tires stretched over 6 inch wide rims up front! - At Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo CA one of the curators there said he had the Rod up to about 80mph on the freeway before it started to get "squirrel-ly"... Hmmmm... I took a breath and said... "I personally mounted those 5.60 x 15s up front FORTY- SIX years ago!" He almost went poo-poo right there!)

As I stated earlier... I really don't think you are gonna have a problem... Go to Tire-easy.com, purchase the 175s for $5 bucks less per tire, about 8mm shorter in diameter and 10mm narrower... or splurge for the 185s. I would NOT bother going with staggered sizing (using 175s up front and 185s in the rear...) as the LOOK will be barely discernible.

If you do choose the 175s... then I suggest the Platinum 7 series over the 122's as they are bit more "sporty" being DIRECTIONAL and having a bit softer UTOQ (420 versus 440, and Traction (dry) is rated AA versus A.

Continue having fun!!!

Last edited:
Back