Short film of my x1/9 Gran Finale

niallj

Daily Driver
I made a short clip of my x1/9 over the weekend. It's part of a project I'm working on. This video was a test run for the project and was mostly me checking out how the car would look on the shoot and trailing the location. I didn't have a mic on the car or get as many GoPro angles on the bodywork as I'd have liked as I ran out of time. But I think it came out ok and I achieved mostly what I set out to do. I'm planning on doing a more in-depth video soon.

Here's the link: http://youtu.be/EN9AqNLBM9Q

Let me know what you think. All feed back welcome :):thumbsup:

Verrry nice vid, Niallj.....!!

.....Let me know what you think.....

Great to see there are still some back-country roads in ol' Blighty where you can take you car for a week-end run without having to stop every 500 metres or so for a traffic jam!
Well done, mate!! :clap:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Very nice video and great looking X.

I just don't know if I could ever get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road in a RHD car.

Mike

Niallj, can you phonetically spell your name for us...

so I can actually HEAR it in my head. Are you East Indian by heritage or is this a funny compression of your name or initials?

As for the Video... BEAUTIFUL CAR, Great Roads, Wonderful Countryside.

As for YOUR car though... I see the front spoiler missing, and the license and fog lights hammering airflow through the radiator at speeds over 60 mph.

The spoiler is needed to 1) direct air UP and through the radiator as well as create, 2) something of a LOW pressure area behind it to SUCK the air down and out the backside of the radiator.

It has also been my EXPERIENCE that having a front tag such as yours sticking down BELOW the front bumper will force incoming air DOWN and below the radiator at speed and the engine will run much hotter. Stay below 60 mph and the air has time to collect itself, over that and it's deflected. Prove it to yourself. Remove the tag (temporarily) and drive for 15 minutes or so at speed, then reinstall it and note the difference in operating temp.

Again, great looking car, could use more close-up fotos! Thanks!

Great to see there are still some back-country roads in ol' Blighty where you can take you car for a week-end run without having to stop every 500 metres or so for a traffic jam!
Well done, mate!! :clap:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Thanks a lot Ian :)

It takes about 40mins or so to get out of the city to find these roads. But it is worth it! Even better when you find a relatively quiet spot!

I just don't know if I could ever get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road in a RHD car.

Mike

Thanks very much Mike! :)

Hee I've never driven a RHD car on the wrong side. Only driven a lefty a few times on holiday in Europe. Wasn't too bad actually. But I think a RHD on the right would be a tad different.

so I can actually HEAR it in my head. Are you East Indian by heritage or is this a funny compression of your name or initials?

As for the Video... BEAUTIFUL CAR, Great Roads, Wonderful Countryside.

As for YOUR car though... I see the front spoiler missing, and the license and fog lights hammering airflow through the radiator at speeds over 60 mph.

The spoiler is needed to 1) direct air UP and through the radiator as well as create, 2) something of a LOW pressure area behind it to SUCK the air down and out the backside of the radiator.

It has also been my EXPERIENCE that having a front tag such as yours sticking down BELOW the front bumper will force incoming air DOWN and below the radiator at speed and the engine will run much hotter. Stay below 60 mph and the air has time to collect itself, over that and it's deflected. Prove it to yourself. Remove the tag (temporarily) and drive for 15 minutes or so at speed, then reinstall it and note the difference in operating temp.

Again, great looking car, could use more close-up fotos! Thanks!

Haa my name is Niall, Tony. Think of the river Nile (which is how most people try to spell it when I say my name) ;) And I'm Irish ;)

Thanks for the comments :)

And... good spot on the spoiler :clap: Yup it is missing but I have acquired a replacement. Hoping to fit it this week. Actually your comments re air flow are interesting. I have noticed when on the motorway the temperature rises to above 90 degrees and hovers between 90 - 130. Thats doing 70mph. If I drop down to 60 the temperature drops a tad. Once off the motorway doing between 40-50mph it settles back at 90 degrees. So the scenario you describe sounds about right. I'll see how it goes once I have the spoiler back on.

Thanks again! Yup the proper shoot will have more close ups of the car, interior etc. Ran out of time in the end.

Thanks Niallj... now I can read your posts...

without "stumbling" over your name in my head.

Our OLD good friend here Gilles de Prevoisin has a name that most folks would pronounce as GIL-LESS or GILL... but it is actually pronounced more like a woman's name as in JILL. When he first called me at home and said it was "Jill" from the Xweb forum I had no idea who the hell HE was. HA!

BTW... his ancestry is French and South American... living in the Tustin California area working for a Japanese company and selling reconditioned aircraft parts to and from Mexico. I know for one he speaks fluent Spanish, his English is heard in a thick French accent, I think he may also speak French and Portuguese... and he's an American citizen.

As I could never understand what he really does or have seen him do it... I firmly believe he is a CIA of FBI agent working under-cover! HA!

I love learning the heritage of folks and many have deep roots coming from all over this planet. I grew up being asked all the time... "Heya boy, whatza you name?"

I'd say "Anthony"... and they usually responded with, "OK Tony, go sit over 'dere..." They would also assume I was Italian... but actually I was born right here in the good old USA... and consider myself an American... just like I consider all people heritage as where they were born FIRST, and their genealogical heritage from where there parents were born... I generally leave out the "ethnicity" aspect all together as it just confuses things... HA!

So back to "Anthony"... I think I always pronounced it with THREE syllables like AN-THO-NY but if anyone, mostly family members from the Northeastern States called me... it was generally in TWO syllables as in ANT-NY!

My 3 year old Stage II Autistic grandson also has Apraxia (trouble speaking) and is really coming out of his shell and doing very well... We PRACTICE our words by me asking him to repeat what I say and I started one time saying, "Anthony, say MY..." to which he responded, My, NAME... Name, IS... is, ANTHONY... Ant'ny!

HA!... I see a trend going full circle now... and his heritage is part Irish too... along with British, Swedish, Armenian, and Italian! He's actually just a plain old American though... just like his Papa!

Hope you enjoyed the story... and thanks for taking the time with me. Welcome as well... to the insanity!

C'mon Tony, 'fess up now.....!

....I grew up being asked all the time... "Heya boy, whatza you name?".....

.....tell Niall the REAL story behind their questioning of your name!!
It's because of all the time you spent in your "youth-hood" (70 years ago) hangin' out around all those dodgy LA Mafia hideouts, wanting to grow up and become "da Boss"!! :guns: :pimp:

cheers, Ian - NZ

First of all Bob/Ian... it wasn't 70 years ago...

GIVE ME A BREAK... I'm aging fast enough...

Secondly Ian... I'm not only sure that your fore-fathers were Criminals of some sort, deported to this Volcanic Atoll called Kiwi-Land... but they were probably Criminally Insane as well! I think you PROVE that point all the time!!! HA!

Bob... Bob Brown... can ya get anymore meat and potatoes, or Mac and Cheese than that? I was gonna say sumthun' about Lobsters and Crabs, but that's Maine... or something SYRUP-Y and STICKY... but that's Vermont... Geez... just what do they do in New Hampshire except shovel snow 9 months outta the year. I intitially thought he must descend from good old Great Britain but he must have some kinda NORDIC heritage as well.

Hopefully he has some kinda UNIQUE middle name like Alawishis... Robert Alawishis Brown... to somehow distinguish him from all the Bob Browns out there. Maybe he's a descendant of some kinda wanted person as well...

I know this is all a stretch and getting kinda out-there... but it is 2 against 1 ya know!

Good chattin' with ya!

Last edited:
Vermont isn't the only State ...

... making maple syrup. New Hampshire has the same competition going on. I think it's a "Twin States" thing. Maine and MA does a little of that too but not so much.

Nice job

There aren't enough videos on YouTube of X1/9s. We need more of these posted by other X owners. Nicely done!

without "stumbling" over your name in my head.

Our OLD good friend here Gilles de Prevoisin has a name that most folks would pronounce as GIL-LESS or GILL... but it is actually pronounced more like a woman's name as in JILL. When he first called me at home and said it was "Jill" from the Xweb forum I had no idea who the hell HE was. HA!

BTW... his ancestry is French and South American... living in the Tustin California area working for a Japanese company and selling reconditioned aircraft parts to and from Mexico. I know for one he speaks fluent Spanish, his English is heard in a thick French accent, I think he may also speak French and Portuguese... and he's an American citizen.

As I could never understand what he really does or have seen him do it... I firmly believe he is a CIA of FBI agent working under-cover! HA!

I love learning the heritage of folks and many have deep roots coming from all over this planet. I grew up being asked all the time... "Heya boy, whatza you name?"

I'd say "Anthony"... and they usually responded with, "OK Tony, go sit over 'dere..." They would also assume I was Italian... but actually I was born right here in the good old USA... and consider myself an American... just like I consider all people heritage as where they were born FIRST, and their genealogical heritage from where there parents were born... I generally leave out the "ethnicity" aspect all together as it just confuses things... HA!

So back to "Anthony"... I think I always pronounced it with THREE syllables like AN-THO-NY but if anyone, mostly family members from the Northeastern States called me... it was generally in TWO syllables as in ANT-NY!

My 3 year old Stage II Autistic grandson also has Apraxia (trouble speaking) and is really coming out of his shell and doing very well... We PRACTICE our words by me asking him to repeat what I say and I started one time saying, "Anthony, say MY..." to which he responded, My, NAME... Name, IS... is, ANTHONY... Ant'ny!

HA!... I see a trend going full circle now... and his heritage is part Irish too... along with British, Swedish, Armenian, and Italian! He's actually just a plain old American though... just like his Papa!

Hope you enjoyed the story... and thanks for taking the time with me. Welcome as well... to the insanity!

No problem mate ;)

Speaking of accents I've lived in the UK 18yrs now so my Irish accent isn't as strong any more. I once had someone try and guess where I was from. The order went like this, "USA, Canada, Scotland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland". I guess by that stage they had run out of countries with accents close enough to Irish English :wall::doh::whistle:

There aren't enough videos on YouTube of X1/9s. We need more of these posted by other X owners. Nicely done!

Thanks very much Tom! Much appreciated. Indeed there aren't enough at all especially on Youtube. I can't wait to do the full video on mine :)

Nice Sound!

Can I ask what muffler set-up you have?

It doesn't sound stock, US stock, anyway...

It's great to see someone enjoying their X!

Can I ask what muffler set-up you have?

It doesn't sound stock, US stock, anyway...

It's great to see someone enjoying their X!

Cheers! :) It's got a standard exhaust on it. But it is blowing a little, which makes it sound different. At the moment I'm not sure if its the manifold or the exhaust that's blowing. It's in the garage at the moment so will find out tomorrow.

Niallj... I was born in the Northeast...

Connecticut... where people from LA California would say I had a New York accent... But I moved to LA when I was 4. In the Northeastern US the accents vary quite a bit from Maine to Massachusetts to New York and the like. But like Irish, Scot and British, the subtleties need to be studied to define them.

Alas... only a few folks here could detect that I originally came from the NE as most of my accent from the way I learned to talk... was gone. I remember my Mom (from Mass) and my Dad (from NY) would get together with in-laws and it was like we went back "home" again. In fact I could hardly understand them.

Eleven years ago I was 55 and followed my wife back east when she had some classes to attend for her job. She would go to class at 8 am and the I spent the day poking around the towns and "shopping" for old stuff and pedal cars and the like... mostly at "antique and thrift" stores.

I began to feel more and more comfortable with the folks around me and by the 3rd or 4th day there, my wife turns to me and says... It sounds like you've lived here all your life! HA!

Last year we took a cruise from NYC all over the NE coast... stopped in Portland Maine and visited a few shops and toured one of the first Fire Houses. Lots of unfamiliar equipment and steam fire trucks and hand pumpers and a very sophisticated alarm system. Our Guide, a second generation American of Armenian heritage... started talking about the husses and elaborated on them many times until I could stand it no more and finally asked... "What's a huss?" He looked at me in astonishment and said... "You don't know what a huss is? We used them to pull the wagons!"

HA!... I said, you mean HORSES... and he said, "Yeah, husses..."

Back