New Wheels-best tires?

I have some 195/50's

you can have for the price of shipping... but I think that would be a lot going to NY :(

REALLY like those wheels. Didn't realize Vick's offered them. Great to see them bringing new radiator, brake, and wheel options for X-drivers.

Falken tires

I slapped a set of 205/50-15 Falken ZIEX ZE-91 on my 124 Coupe. They're advertised as all season performance. So far, no complaints. The car has never handled and stuck this well...I figure any modern (larger diameter tire with more recent development) is going to make what passes for a decent 13" tire look archaic. Oh, and they were only $64 each.

Just ordered these new wheels from VAS
getting rid of the Tron's
going with 195/45/15's all the way around
not a ton of choices out there
looks like Yokohama, Federal and Nexen are the choices
any feedback would be much appreciated

as always
thanks

http://www.vickauto.com/newstore/images/fiat parts 85-7721.JPG

I think the Yoko S-drive is the better tire of the short list provided. I ran these on my ZX2 S/R and was quite pleased with their low noise and hi grip when compared to some of the other tires I ran on that car (goodyear eagle gt, falken ziex 912, toyo proxes)

For what it's worth though, when it did come time to buy tires for the X, I went cheap and bought Accelera Alphas http://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehicle/tires/allbrands.html. I am satisfied with their performance and like Coupefan mentioned, they are a huge jump in grip improvement over the stock 13" tire. Besides, at $50 per, the price was hard to beat.

Last edited:
Wheels installed?

I'm thinking about the same wheels and the same tire size. Would love to see a few pics of the wheels installed on the X. You can post or email to bbrown*diamondl.ca. Thanks....

I have Toyo Proxes R1R 195/50/15's all around on my X and they are amazing. All the convincing I needed to try them was in the statement from the SCCA governing board when they banned that particular size tire from the Tire class in autocross:

"The SEB has decided, after considering member input, to retract the change which increased the Road Tire minimum required treadwear rating from 140. This will be reflected in the Supplemental Regulations for future National Tour events.
The SEB has also decided that for the Road Tire classes the following tire will be on the Exclusion List, effective 1/1/2013:
Toyo Proxes R1R 195/50-15 size only
"

They have since retracted the ban, but its one hell of a tire when it is so good that it is referred to as the "cheater tire". Unfortunately they are a tight fit up front on an X 1/9 and mine rub slightly at full lock. The amazing grip you get from them is well worth a little rub and when are you ever at full lock except maybe when parking.

Pics of Smoked Chrome Autostrade

Here are shots of my Autostrade wheels - Toyo Proxes 195/45/15 at all four corners
can't tell you how many compliments I get on the wheel /tire combo
good luck

Looks great....

thanks for the pics, I'm looking at a very similar set up next year. Was going to do it this year, but now I'm rebuilding my motor.

Clearance

Any clearance issues? Did you have to roll your fenders or anything? As far as I know my X is all stock except the front has been lowered, just wondering if they will fit without any issues. Thanks...

The 15 X 6 wheels with the Toyo tires fit without rolling the fenders. The plastic wheel well liner can rub a little at full turn, but you are not going fast at full turn (I hope).

I just can't make left turns....

just kidding , no clearance issues , I installed coil-overs in the front from Matt at Bayless and have the fender liners and no spacers (I believe)
at full lock to the right there was very slight rubbing , we had to tap back a bit of body work underneath- no fender rolling needed
only problem is my Bertone centercaps from Henk don't fit

I just purchased these rims as well… once again very pleased with Vick Auto fast shipping and product quality…. Ordered Toyo Proxes and rims and tires do look amazing (unfortunately the best looking part of the car at present :sad:). Previous tires were some crappy 165/70 on 13” Tron style wheels that were probably made for some trailer. Car drives great and ride isn’t as hard as I might have expected, they just made it more evident that there are other issues (bad struts or worn bushings - probably both). Only bad thing that I found on paper is that these tires and rims add 8lbs of un-sprung weight to each tire – yikes. I say on paper because the improvement in every way is so huge that I couldn’t notice any negatives from adding the weight, effect on braking was improved with improved contact patch… the drag on power by adding rotational mass has to be real but I can’t pretend that I feel it.

Back