Texas Heat Rad by VAS

WildWilly

True Classic
Anybody have one of these rads? Any comments? I think I'm going to replace mine with this unit. Been having overheating issues, as some of you have already chimed in on. Took my old one out last night and was going to get it serviced. It's about $100 to get it serviced and $200 for the Texas Heat. I'll probably order a new fan as well, hopefully quieter and less draw on the altenator. Me thinks time to move on and just get the new one. Any advice/comments are appreciated.

While stock Fiat radiators are stout and well built, sometimes replacement makes sense. When I got my '87 Corsa X, the radiator was partially clogged and on long freeway runs would eventually run hot. However, the thermostat was sticking and also contributed to the problem, and was noticeable because it took a long time to warm up. So a new radiator was part of the fix, but the real fix also required a new thermostat.

Make sure your thermostat opens quickly at the correct temperature and fully, using both the gauge and an IR thermometer on the hoses. If it works right but still has problems, the radiator should be replaced. The VAS unit should work quite well, another option is the one at MWB which is the design that Bob Grasch had made and many of us have installed.

Whichever radiator you select, remember all the parts of the cooling system need to be good, including the cap on the pressure tank. My local O'Reilly Auto Parts loans out a nice cooling system pressure test kit that can help you chase down leaks and also test your cap.

Looks good

I haven't used the radiator, but I had a chance to look at one at VAS when I was in Dallas a couple months ago. The design looks good and the fan options look great. The 10 inch fan option looks amazing as it covers the entire hieght of the radiator.

I have a VAS rad...

When I was installing the PBS motor I was looking for a better than stock rad, VAS had their "performance" aluminum rad option only. Pricier than their Texas heat option they have now.

I ran the PBS engine with the stock and with the VAS rad. Both cooled the engine equally as far as I could tell. The VAS was a little bit of pain to bleed since the performance rad uses a different bleeder location - ONLY ON THE PERFORMANCE RAD. The Texas Heat I believe is same as stock.

For street use, I would bet it is no better than a stock system IMO. I can't imagine the Texas Heat version would be any different. I suppose if you are looking at replacing a stock radiator with something lighter and just new, then it should work fine. Price is right. That is for sure.

Last edited:
TH rad

Purchased the T.H. radiator. Will be putting it in soon. Beautiful, welds like jewelry. Bleed in the same spot, fan studs in the same place...
I plan on using a "10 spall fan and Evans waterless radiator fluid. should be quite the set up. I will review installation when I get to it.

I have the Texas Heat in my X...
Love it, Rarely do i ever get passed 190 for my fans to kick on.

I highly recommend the Texas Heat from Vicks!
I also recommend replacing all hoses and Flushing well!

Texas Heat

Thanks guys. I think I'll order the new rad on Monday morning. I just don't see the point in spending $100 to service a 40 year old rad when $200 gets me a brand new one. Any weight savings don't really matter, its just makes sense to me to replace it. The PO replaced all the hoses, I've got new a new t-stat, head temp sending unit and rad fan temp switch. I'm also going to run the dryer vent cleaning kit through the pipes. Since I'm also rebuilding my motor, we're going to pull the water pump and make sure all is well. If not, that will be replaced as well. As usual, thanks to the collective for the advice. I know I can always count on this group. Once I do the install, I'll post a short review of what I thought and how it went. Will get at least one new fan as well, possibly two.

Vick Rad

In 2011 I bought from Vick Auto "VAS Aluminum Performance Radiator" at that moment the "Texas Heat Rad" was not available.
There is the link: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/11937/

What I can tell I'm really satisfied with the Vick Rad, no issue, the only thing with time is it was expensive at that time but it is past now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered....

Thanks for all the advice, I've ordered it with 2 fans, just to be safe. I'll figure out how to wire it all up when it gets here. Now back to my engine rebuild.....

Evans Coolant

I just purchased the Evans coolant , planning on installing with new VAS TH Rad, unfortunately the VAS rads seem to be over a month out :sad:
Hey Tigervag - did you install the Evans yet?

Evans coolant

Nope, ain't done it yet. Was actually gonna do it this winter cause the car is running so good...and there are so many shows/events in my neck of the woods that I don't want to miss...

Back