1976 1300cc 4-speed's are fun!

bikesandcars

True Classic
Wow, this car is a blast!

After trying to sell it for parts, then spending the winter / summer rebuilding it I have finally got it on the road. The car is an absolute hoot to drive... revs easy, handles great, and has to be driven around at 3-4K rpm in todays environment to stay "in the power" (but loves it). suspension is soft over bumps but handles wonderfully.. now I know what you guys are talking about.

I never got this enjoyment from our lemons car because the race-environment doesn't allow the same pleasures

After driving several other cars from the 70's era I must admit it is the easiest to drive and best overall handling car I have driven from that generation. US cars are too soft, Porsche's have weird ergonomic quirks, fiat really nailed it with the x.

:italia:

X19(1): http://youtu.be/p1MFzpsmApA

agreed!!!!

It is great to drive a four speed again isn't it?

I had the day off and took advantage of doing a few things, I changed my gear oil to Red line MTL, and finally dialed in my carburetor which was running too rich. Now I have 19-20"hg and the car is running great.

I find the same thing, to keep up with modern traffic you have to shift around 3-4000 rpm and that is where it really starts to come alive. You can just drop the clutch out shifting up from 2nd, and have fun.

The car is a blast to drive!

M

You betcha, mate......!!

....fiat really nailed it with the x.....

......who needs a Porsche, or a MX-5, or a MR-2 when you can get a HUGE buzz out of a 70's 1300 4 speed X1/9, with roof off, sun beating down on your head (some of us need a hat on :)), all for a fraction of the cost!! :excited:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Uh-ooooh... It appears you have the "bug"...

Kinda like some diseases... its chronic and forever.

I know what ya mean about 1300s and 4 speeds.. especially with headers, big valves, higher compression and dual DCOE Webers... they SCREAM, both figuratively and literally.

But I keep reaching for 5th in them... especially on the freeway. I guess I could have the best of both worlds with my 5 speed.

Welcome to the addiction Mr. B&C!

Fully agree a rev-happy 1300 is a blast to drive.

Any winding road becomes your personal race track.

Kinda like some diseases... its chronic and forever.

I know what ya mean about 1300s and 4 speeds.. especially with headers, big valves, higher compression and dual DCOE Webers... they SCREAM, both figuratively and literally.

But I keep reaching for 5th in them... especially on the freeway. I guess I could have the best of both worlds with my 5 speed.

Welcome to the addiction Mr. B&C!

lol, thanks!

This has a mild tune: sport cam, slightly bumped compression, modern ignition, lightly ported heads, 34 DAT carb, header and exhaust.. it definately feels like it's punching above it's weight for a 1300, but still... it's only a 1300.

Could it use a 5th gear? sure... but if I hit a hill at 65 in 5th turning lower rpm i'd probably have to downshift anyway :). This car isn't really intended for freeway driving in a modern environment of 70 mph speeds, not that it can't, but I assume if you started putting major highway miles on you'd see some accelerated wear of components. Seems really fun around town and twisties, and will likely never be a commuter car again so that's ok.

Yeah... hence the 1500...

For years I would go up the Grapevine here with all my factory stuff aboard and would haveta downshift to 4th a lot, as well as third.

Since I went to a DMTRA 32, lost some of the constipated stuff and have a great working centrifugal and vacuum advance... I scream up that hill with two aboard and a dog and rarely haveta shift down to 4th.

Many years of messing with this car and at 173,000+ on the same engine that has NEVER been rebuilt, it runs better than new... On regular roads and long trips , including stop and go driving at times, I went from 26 mpg to 33!

Enjoy your ride!!! Glad you are amongst us!

Ive got a bugeye sprite, which i know is a much older completely different beast but i was just commenting about this the other day on the MG forum im on. I parked the bugeye for its 5 speed upgrade and a few other things and picked up moms X which is a work in progress awaiting the garage for a full tear down and restoration (begining of next year). Its a car i threw together from a parts car for her Bday so its rough, but its reliable and i didnt screw around putting it together, either way its a 1300 4 speed car

For highway driving and other reasons (torque haha) i want a 1500 and 5 speed, but that aside the 1300 is crazy fun. I was commenting on how much different a car is it from the sprite, again i know, its like an orange and an apple pie, you cant really compare. But its amazing what a nice car the X is, I know why mom loved it so much. Comfortable, balanced well, leg room arm room, easy to drive, rides great. Its a combo that pretty amazing in anything from the 70's and even today its just a fantastic vintage sports car to get in and toss around or cruise

Back