The Multi Air Project

Which Thread was the vid posted in?

I am seriously looking at this swap too. Thanks for posting the video it is very helpful.

It is looking like a good option.
If we can program the ECU.

What I am reading is the CanBus is OBDII.
They are using the Multiair's in the new Dodge Dusters as well.

The European Alfa Mito MultiAir 1.4 turbo still has a throttle. For WOT performance there is no need for a Multi Air Head. In Europe the predecessor turbo engine in the Alfa Mito had same mid range torque and only a bit less power at the upper end, but running on less rich fuel than the MA. My conclusion was that MA was necessary for mileage because of part load.

Electronic dependencies that we could see...

When we first analyzed the project and made the fitment video listed above, we were kind of naïve about what it would take to do a 500 swap.

To use the stock ECU, a number of items have to be visible to the ECU, including:

• Stock ignition key and transponder module for ignition interlock (OK, not impossible)
  • Traction control sensors at all four corners (OK, not impossible).
  • Fly by wire accel pedal assy (throttle body can't be converted to manual) The accel pedal assy is huge, and can't be used as-is. It will have to be disassembled and turned into a custom set-up.
  • ABS Pump Set-Up
  • Evap emissions and all pollution control sensors
  • Several gauge and dashboard interactions

Bottom line: Everything on the "BUSS" has to be visible. We've found that even the radio is connected to the BUSS!

We performed this investigation this time last year, and there was literally nothing about the ECU or its wiring and dependencies available. Even the Fiat studios we interacted with wouldn't divulge info.

AllData seems to have some pretty good stuff now, but you better have your really smart hat on when trying to make sense of it.

It would be really great to develop a stand-alone ECU that gets rid of this stuff, but clearly the multi-air portion of cam timing will be a challenge. Best case would be to simply emulate one of the
five profiles as a default, that would be a start.

-M

More excellent information

I am looking at how big is big and how difficult it would be both in the packaging and in the control system needs. If I get any useful information I will post it here. I will be looking at an engine this week to get a better understanding of what is needed.

Last edited:
Driveline AND wiring harness....

Anyone contemplating this needs the motor and the entire vehicle wiring harness, even if the plan is to roll-your-own electronics.

There are likely 15-20 connectors plugged into various aspects of the motor and ECU/EFI/Ignition components, and unlike earlier EFI iterations with other makes/models, it is not a stand-alone harness.

All of the connections are integrated within and around the main body harness.

One will want/need all of those micropin connector terminations.

-M

I don't want to go too far off topic (I think this is a great discussion and I watch with interest) but the timing is just too tempting.

Tonight I was out in my dad's Punto Dualogic and realised what a neat bit of kit it is. I have only driven it a few times and the quirks were more pronounced than the positives but tonight I was caught up in a "traffic light drag" with a riceburner kid in a Peugeot 206 1.6L. Yeah, I know. Anyway... Even with the anaemic 1.4 8v in the Punto I toasted the bloke. I was surprised as he was (he gave me the thumbs up at the next lights). Flat on the carpet the changes aren't a lot slower than the VW Golf DSG I've been driving a bit lately (and it doesn't make that aweful "POP" when changing.)

I don't know about the ultimate power handling ability but it would make an intriguing conversion into an X - either with a 500 Abarth engine or bolted upto a "normal" SOHC. I dare say it would involve as much reverse engineering as the engine - but I'm very curious to see the first of these boxes stripped to assess their strength.

PS - I'm a fan of the X1/9 5 speed. A much maligned gearbox. With a B&R slippery it held upto my 16v race motor no problem (making a lot more torque than plenty of "experts" told me would smash it to smithereens) - now with 130TC bits and a B&R close ratio set as well its probably the gearbox we should have been given - well - with a shorter 1st anyway!

Sorry - back to Multi-air talk....

Now don't melt your brains reading this CAN Bus stuff

Just popped back in to see what you guys are up to and I am chuffed that the discussion is continuing and in such a positive tone.

Gee I feel like a bit of a goat, I missed the ENTIRE THREAD where that Vid' was posted. And I can't find it either

Steve
If you want that Uno to run then I can email you some of my maps, but you will need to source a Wolf 3D Ver4 ECU off Ebay Aust ( or where ever ) they still go for about $500 AUD used with a programmable hand controller, you can tweak from there. Using just the factory Uno Turbo management is by no means taking advantage of what it is capable of. Just be warned that this is a decade old ECU now and will on no way handle a Multi Air if that is what you have in mind down the track. I think the conservatine Maps with 18psi and a mechanical/manual boost controler and BOV you could use safely. I ran a Series 2 UT for over a year on these and they were good for a stock engine before I went silly and explored the limits and spun a main bearing ( you have to have a MLS gasket installed on the head though as the stock one isn't up to the task ). There are other maps, that were a bit OTT, but this concervative one gave me >130HP all day in the Aussie heat without cooking the oil on the stock IHI snail.
By the time you kill that motor then the bugs may have been ironed out of geting the 500Turbo in an X 1/9, hopefully the cost would have come down. I am in no way set up to create a kit but that would probably be done by others more capable to produce / ship and support such a kit, to capilize on the market for those that are capable of 'plug & play' but have no time for total DIY. If you are used to analoge voltage control and that is a streatch - forget understanding 8 byte multiple bit rate CAN Bus, pay your way out of frying your brain cells on something you will only have to do once.

I really like MWB's video ( thank you ) , answers some of my questions about driveline positioning ( Peeerffect!). Pics of the Abarth Turbo I have seen have an engine mounting support bracket in a similar position to what X 1/9 owners know as the snail mount. The mount itself is not even a close resemblence but this block was designed with weight bearing pickups in a similar place.
http://bioage.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01539329c1c0970b-popup.
Maybe it can be used - maybe a new part is required, but it won't be a huge frame needed for K20, next is fitment for a 'dogbone ??

Turbo and dump pipe / oil cooler - interference with the firewall

I was wondering after seeing the video of the mule with a long motor in it if the examples of Punto turbo aftermarket manifolds in Italy, they place the snail in a lateral position above the gearbox, the down-pipe can still continue as per normal underneath at the sump / GB flange so ground clearance isn't impeded. Brings the compressor to an area that has room re route to the 'wrong side' of the air filter housing and back ínto the inlet manifold, the airbox looks like it needs to be ported in the reverse end to reduce the inlet piping length. But that is really just a bit of plastic welding or is the Abarth Turbo airbox full of complex chambers. With proper heat retention this extra exhaust manifold length shouldn't loose to much heat / velocity and therefore minimize throttle lag. So perhaps no cutting the spare wheel well out is needed at all. Downside is the cost of an exhaust manifold is added to the conversion. But a log exhaust manifold is deleted and a tuned tube manifold is preferable from a performance POV.

With the turbine inducer father away from the exhaust ports this is an opportunity to manipulate the port velocity with a tube manifolding and stop the inlet ducts being sandwiched at the dead air at the US passenger side firewall and away from the snails radiant heat. Perhaps an opportunity to fit a Garrett T25 m24 a/r .80 or maybe a/r 0.60 - bigger?. It's just in the last few days the T25/28 M24 turbine cover seems to pop up when I have been looking at 1.4 Multi Air modifier projects. If you know the M24 housing they are popular with the riceburners so making a 25/28 hybrid / availability is less of an issue than with the IHI.

The oil cooler needs to be moved anyway as where it currently lives it appears it will be as usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike so the US passanger side X 1/9 scoop is close by - I'd look at putting in that airflow path . Just a thought.

Anyway this is taking me off track on what I was trying to focus on - ECU control. But it is nice to know the major mechanicals look sympathetic to the engine bay / drive line.

Re-Programming that Abarth ECU is not a simple operation, there are varying propriety protocols in the industry and it's not as easy as 'burning an EPROM' like you could 10 years ago. You would need a twenty grand digital scope to try and build event tables and without an understanding of what system protocols were being used it would take a long time. It seems to me at this stage that there could be two forks in this road to travel down.

One migrating the Abarth harness in total and mimicking what is cut out or not needed. Ultimately the piggback modules that guys like Tim has on his MY13 500 Abarth have the ability to 'overlay'the unique settings ( management strategy ) that a Fiat x 1/9 could employ. Say a bigger turbo / forsaking fuel economy etc. A promising path.

The other finding a aftermarket ECU that can utilize the sensors and manage the engine components. Here 'sniffing the packets'on an Abarth or finding those maps (good luck) can build a customized aftermarket management system setup to suit the basics of what the powertrain needs without the extras of the body control module, gearbox control module etc etc ( Matt's correct there are heaps of nodes). Known base maps exist for air/ fuel in this engine type so building it so it will run is not the issue refining them is. The control soleniods on the Cam at this stage seem a challenge but I don't see why the speed sensor or electronic boost control devices are an issue. Engine tuners deal with these on other makes and known factors are understood - why should Fiats be massively different.

Bandwidth alert

#######################################################################

Here are a few links for those that want just an overview of what a Controller Area Network Bus is about, without going too deep and frying brain cells the idea was simplifying wiring and getting control of the systems that were sprouting up in automotive. A 'Bus' topology was favored over a star or token ring network - hence the 'Bus' in Controller Area Network Bus ( CAN Bus ). This was at a time when coax token ring networks were the norm in office computer systems - so the thinking was way ahead of its time.

From what I can see the Fiat system looks like C_CAN and is multiplexing more than one baud rate so it is a 'birds nest' to unravell. Both 50 and 500 Kbps look like they are used and this document (below) talks about 125Kbps of BH-CAN. If you understand transmission latency then the missed signal window is a nightmare if you don't include ALL the bits from an 500 Abarth harness, then I guess trouble is all you'll have.

http://www.bosch-semiconductors.de/en/ubk_semiconductors/safe/ip_modules/m_can/m_can.html

https://www.symtavision.com/downloa...sis_with_SymTAS_at_FIAT_Group_Automobiles.pdf

Whilst CAN Bus was developed by Bosch in 1986 the idea of reducing the cabling effort expanded to creating inteligent nodes on the Bus type network.

http://www.can-cia.org/index.php?id=systemdesign-can-history

From 1986 a youtube copy of a documentary "TURBO Qualifying Boost" the difficulties of the V6 1.5 Ltr Turbo formula one development, a young "Aerodynamicist" Ross Brawn and a young Aussie Alan Jones reminded me how damn old I am now - anyway;

Why did we need CAN Bus, the old modules had no error correction and fault reporting- engine management has come a VERY long way. The complexity and multitude of devices in modern cars is not possible without it.
Albeit without all the extra copper wire you would need if the signals were not multiplexed.

Part one - 'it won't start / run without misfire'fast forward to the black box at 47:55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbB1qwhKaaE

Part two at at 1:22 you will begin to understand that analouge EMF crosstalk drove Coates and Taylor on the Ford / Cosworth project team nuts with 'rouge'signals' as the loom became a radio antenna. CAN bus adresses issues such as this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqfVAGOaGEc

The new Mercedes-Benz PU106A Hybrid Power Unit is light years from that now and zeros and ones are the foundation for making all this stuff work. Compare the old Ford Turbos to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7MOlYhLZDY

Renaults engine is not as successful this year but a good video nonetheless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vIjJg0lXgc
OMG !!!!

Whilst I am a Linux /Andriod guy I understand the Linux kernel has native CAN bus support at network layer for years now, with a lot of drivers
for both embedded and USB CAN bus controllers, WRT the Fiat 500 Turbo CAN Bus protocol that's something I have yet to discover with certainty. Whilst it may be fairly easy to add a CAN bus interface to any Linux laptop and have a fiddle with it, an Abarth 500 I don't have and I'd just rather go the Aftermarket ECU. Engine tuners are more likeley to spend time on a dyno with it if they are familiar with that aftermarket engine management system.

An interesting article of a guy who hacked into his Toyota
http://fabiobaltieri.com/2013/07/23/hacking-into-a-vehicle-can-bus-toyothack-and-socketcan/

Thanks for the input people, keep a positive open mind.

Sandy
Share the knowledge

FIAT's own sales info says the MultiAir system yields benefits of around 10% vs previous generation non-MultiAir.

The effort and $$$$ it would take to get all of this....

"Stock ignition key and transponder module for ignition interlock (OK, not impossible)
Traction control sensors at all four corners (OK, not impossible).
Fly by wire accel pedal assy (throttle body can't be converted to manual) The accel pedal assy is huge, and can't be used as-is. It will have to be disassembled and turned into a custom set-up.
ABS Pump Set-Up
Evap emissions and all pollution control sensors
Several gauge and dashboard interactions"

....working just to pick up a measly 10% does not on the surface seem to be cost-effective.

Tonight I was out in my dad's Punto Dualogic and realised what a neat bit of kit it is. .

Frank

I see where you are going our VWs have DSG and sport mode embarrasses a few larger vehicles that can't keep in the torque band to deliver maximum power. The 6 speed 'wet' we run dosnt 'pop' were you driving the 'dry plate' 7 speeder?

Getting that Duologic mated to a 1500 SOHC would prove a challenge, it needs the rest of the ECU nodes to work. i/e. its not stand alone

Have a look at Fiats -C514 5 speed manual Trans versus the Fiat C510 MTA performance transmission ( manual Transmission Automated )
http://www.fiat500usa.com/2009/09/fiat-500-transmissions-5-or-6-speed.html
http://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/179935-more-gearbox-qs-c514-vs-c510.html

CAN bus is widely used in Industrial Control

We use it all the time in industrial control, but not all CAN bus configurations are the same. In fact, most are quite different.

Each manufacturer has their own architecture. CAN bus is the communications median they use, but knowing what's on the other side of the wire is key. Short of having an in-house factory development system, you're down to "hacking" as illustrated in the Toyota example.

CAN bus has made automotive wiring a breeze, but for us enthusiasts, it's also made things a bit more difficult. :sad:

This wasn't the problem. I had the Uno Turbo actually running off Megasquirt 2 and Ford EDIS. It was a number of other problems, the biggest is simply the difficulty and expense of getting parts imported. The engine was misrepresented and the head was shot (badly corroded). The replacement head I got out of Germany is also shot (raw oil in #1 intake and exhaust coming from who-knows-where (suspect casting problem, a light skim revealed porous material). I just got tired of endlessly pouring money into something that simply wasn't making any progress. The engine is currently sitting on a dolly and #1 intake has filled completely full of oil.

Steve
If you want that Uno to run then I can email you some of my maps, but you will need to source a Wolf 3D Ver4 ECU off Ebay Aust...

Sadly its junk

The engine was misrepresented and the head was shot (badly corroded). The replacement head I got out of Germany is also shot (raw oil in #1 intake and exhaust coming from who-knows-where The engine is currently sitting on a dolly and #1 intake has filled completely full of oil.

Sad to hear, being in North America you are right without a decent Punto GT head or a known good Uno head ( unobtanium by now )its just a good bottom end for a NA SOHC. The rods and piston oil squirters make that a good closed face block.

Geography makes unavailability issues like these massive hurdles. If you created the MSquirt unit then you mentally are 1/2 way there in achieving the Abarth Turbo / NA Multi Air engine swap.

The tower of Babel

So I have come to ask myself a rhetorical question. Why is the migration of a transfer of the Abarth harness problematic? or “my last week trawling knowledge on the internet”

Simple really, the bus is stamped all over with proprietary data. You have to pay vast sums of money to get stuff certified. Hobbyists are often frustrated inventors and would like to exploit a good idea if they come up with one. The barriers to complete entry are simply too high. Unfortunately, it seems keeping source code secret seems to have a reputation as being some kind of “good” engineering practice, even though it’s basically fundamentally at odds with honourable science and engineering practice. If you contract an engineer to make something for you, you will get the blueprints – if they don’t provide them, then they didn’t engineer it for you. CAN has a specific requirement for resistance on the bus of usually three wires, typically relatively high resistance between HIGH and LOW signals at stub nodes, and relatively low resistance at bus termination points. Step outside that and you are toast. I have read the North American 2010+ Camaro for example has gone so far down this 'user locked out' path that this is built into the damn radio. Remove the radio and ‘nothing works’. Can’t even so much as unlock the doors, turn on the lights, open a window or even start the engine. If you want an aftermarket stereo the only solution is an expensive replacement control black box that duplicates all the non-audio/radio functions of the system built into the stock radio. I wondered why the heck there are non-audio-radio functions in the damn radio, why have the lawyers not jumped on this with an antitrust case.

Did you hear the joke about buying a car with the hood welded shut? well, car makers realized nobody would see the hood weld shut with the CAB Bus software, so they did it.

This sort of rubbish got Bill Gates into all sorts of 'Antitrust' trouble in 2000, yet in automotive they get away with this 'proprietary' mumbo jumbo. What is needed is a good, standard bus architecture and code, The point about the CAN physical layer , remove the radio and ‘nothing works’ really gives me the pips. Having an entire network become non operational when a single node is physically disconnected that has nothing to do with the actual driving of the car is a major flaw!!
I understood that the original BOSCH concept was opposite to this, one node fails and the rest can carry on with the task, it should be damn illegal to sell a system that shuts down when one node fails in a radio that has no role in the safety of or driveability of a vehicle because of the operating system.

Problem as I wrote before "Matt is correct CAN Bus is EVERYWHERE". How we got ambushed into letting manufacturers locking the user out of these systems is just a function of how clever corporates are, now we are snookered. Your radio packs up and they want you to go to the dealer, want a 'better one' and your stereo guy has to put in an interface black box. Sure it makes stealing the stereo harder ( as it is impossible to sell a stereo that won’t work ) but the car is left immobilised in the Camaro example.

I’m becoming a fan of CAN bus for hobby electronics but I totally understand why more people don’t use it, I get the feeling it's the multitude of varying proprietary variants.

CAN itself is an amazing protocol. The addressing has built-in prioritization and collision avoidance. The CAN controllers can handle serious failures at the physical layer and still work. It can be used in a way very similar to a client /server architecture, but I think of it as really designed for broadcast traffic. For example imagine you have a speed sensor that transmits your speed a few times a second. Your
speedometer sees that data packet and updates the display, the cruise control sees it as well and adjusts your engine to maintain speed. Both nodes execute functions off the one data packet. Your car door listens for a command to lock or unlock. Anything can generate that command… The door switch on any door, the key fob receiver, the alarm module, etc. And those things could listen for those commands also so, for example, the alarm can enable itself. Talk about reliable…

Add you can get CAN Bus controllers pretty cheap and CAN Bus chips 'could' be programmed as simple io expanders that are almost set and forget. And how many hobby grade electronics have had the level of development as automotive electronics?

There is a better way to design embedded systems than what we have.

The wrong way centralizes functionality that has no business being together, and makes it opaque to generic repairmen. This is usually chosen so as to “optimize for cost” by minimizing the number of computers… you know, in a IBM “there’s maybe a market for 5 computers globally” kind of way.

The right way is to keep things as simple as will work, preferably not even using OS’s, when the tasks can be separated so one function per microcontroller. This way there is no multiple stacks of complication, and each separate processor’s code becomes simple and easily maintained. (and preferably also, kept with the install so that future repairmen have a chance to fix it!). This is known as robust design, engineering for maximum reliability, as a priority far above “cost”.

But that won't make money.

As manufacturers get better at this, expect, nay, demand that they become compliant! An essential, and yet still lacking part of this is the availability of the source code, as well as the barrier-to-modification. The auto industry is notorious for keeping all their tech secret – so much so that most “scientifically published, peer reviewed” papers I have read more like sales brochures with bugger all actual detail of the device than the patents that they’re trying to push.

Car manufacturers have a lot to be taught in this regard, but even more so do the “engineering software” companies who “sell products” in the MSFT xOS/iOS style. It’s disgusting, and one day people will find it difficult to believe that it was ever considered reasonable business practice.

All that said CAN is very good – no where near the performance of, say, FireWire, but still exactly as Lee Iacocca “KISS” like as you could hope for in a low speed / high reliability / easily debugged multidrop communications protocol. Firewire is perfection at high bandwidth, but carries with it quite an overhead in terms of protocol, it was clearly designed by a engineering committee of computer geeks totally obsessed with getting the minutia of every little detail right. It is anarchistic democracy to USB’s benevolent dictatorship. CAN is just like a few spanner monkeys talking shop at the garage, and getting the work done whilst occasionally yelling over the top of one another other, but that’s ok, because everyone knows the pecking order, and shuts up and listens when it’s urgent.

Apart from sheer Band Width, CAN craps all over ethernet’s stupid “if a collision, wait a random time, then try again” approach to sharing a wire. Bobs comment about CAN's use in other industries is an example of how 'good' it is (Hint: this is why ethernet is not really used to share wires anymore – do you know the difference between a “hub” and a “switch”? Remember 10Base2 ?). Schneider /Clipsal in Australia has been using C Bus to wire 'smart homes' for years why more folks don't use it probably down to the skill level of the average home wiring electrician happy to bumble along the 'old way' because it's easier.

Aside from the horribleness putting a “standard” behind a paywall (just like selling software licences IMHO, anti educational), CAN is a good bit of kit, whose actual impact on the world for the better will be proportional to those benefiting from it, and therefore dependant upon being widely understood and used where appropriate. (Again, something that paywalls / licensing / general IP legals destroys). I have said I am an open source guy before so you can guess I loathe this closed architecture where car makers can lock you out of something you bought.

Despite this high opinion of CAN Bus I’m looking forward to this getting rid of it on the MultiAir anyway :)

So, I’m still collating the physical requirements of the devices on the 500 Turbo MultiAir to match an aftermarket ECU, but apparently its all secret. It may take a while.

Thanks for the input people, keep a positive open mind.

Sandy
Share the knowledge

Not sure what the anti-Microsoft, anti-intellectual property, open-source evangelistic rants have to do with getting an operational Multi-Air engine into an X1/9...:confused:

Evangelistic rants ??

Just trying to explain why going down the harness transplant route is problematic. If it is a rant perhaps I should just do it alone then.

I appear religious to you when I raise an objection to locking out the owner of a vehicle from fitting a stero of their choice when it has nothing to do with driving the vehicel. Not sure what the religious barb is used for when it has nothing to do with religion either.

But do continue and re read the bit about how corporates are welding the bonnet shut with CAN Bus. That's why I head down the afternmarket ECU path. Emmulation is probalbly imposible at this level

Written on a Windows 8.1 ITX on Chrome

Dann, Sandy... Sandy, Dan... I KNOW personally that...

you are both GOOD GUYS... so lets be respectful of each other. You are BOTH valuable members here to each other and the 300+ folks active on the board. We don't wanna see either of you clam-up.

Lord knows I get hot when I get excited about something too... Sandy, I gotta admit at 2AM this morning I got a bit blurry-eyed reading through all you wrote, but that coulda been the bourbon... and Dan, you know that your quip might have been "accurate" but not exactly appropriate for the time you've known Sandy... even if you were joking. I must admit... I kinda giggled too... a short one-line response to a chapter's work of verbiage.... great stuff! But that coulda been the bourbon as well...

I think we all know the the Multi-Air ECU does a ton more in looking at all aspects of timing and FI and the engine's speed and demands... as well as all the other junk on the car. Purely from an economic perspective and the throw-away philosophy today... combining all this stuff into one box took a lot of work and wiring and a lot of money. If it was yours, you'd wanna keep it all to yourself as well.

Deciphering all this stuff and deleting all the unnecessary stuff while keep all the programming you need is a chore, but hopefully not impossible meaning... that some tasks are interrelated when they have no need to be, and eliminating one fouls another.

Moving on... keep up the GREAT work here... Both of you!

Okay Tony message received, Mea Culpa

Perhaps I am a little touchy as I understand and use / fix what I call the big 3 MS, XOS and Nix. Get a bit offended if I get painted as a nerd (zelot?) that hates the big 2. I don't but both have serious flaws and no code is 'perfect' no matter what anyone may tell you. Perhaps a bit thin skinned in that regard, mixing that with religion or preference for a partner has no place on any decent forum - sorry. I came here as XWeb has a good reputation as a place where forum 'sport' is benign and perhaps open minds could be found to chip away at the issue. Goodness knows there are other Fiat forums I wouldn't bother to be flamed at for attempting this.

Perhaps I was a little long winded but valid points none the less, I never gave much thought to CAN Bus until I passed that 500 in at auction, reading my long winded posts would make the challenge understood by the uninitiated to electronics protocols.

The locked nature of the existing system has everything to do with fitting a Abarth 500 power train into an X 1/9 and getting it to run. Mechanically it looks very sympathetic to the engine bay and suspension pickups - the engine management is a killer. If you know that the maker is trying to lock you out then you can mentally prepare for the challenge, I see so many projects stall because the task gets just ever bigger and more complex so the hobbyist just gives up when they have climbed most of the mountains they need to cross. Sure there are a lot of IT concepts going on in that post but I didn't try and simplify, my bad. Most of the stuff I bump into in my day job are still C programs for 8-bit Microchip PIC16 and PIC18 microcontrollers, CAN is a great protocol and I will now look for applications in my work life rather than sticking to what I understand. But if I see I can't remove one component or add another because it's locked I am less likely to use it.

There are other ways to protect intellectual property, if I believed that the electronic geniuses in large Auto Makers didn't have the skill or facilities to crack in and decipher a competitors system I'd be less annoyed with the concept that I can't put any damn stereo in I like without having to fit intermediate interface black boxes to emulate stereo front end functions that have nothing to do with the sound system, but incorporate non audio subsystems ( for what reason are they there? ).
I just used the Camaro as an example as the forum is North American and folks may be familiar with it, it is not a globally isolated example I can assure you. I get that I have to put in a 25W 25Ohm resistor when I fit a reverse camera in a Tag ( number ) plate light line so the dash warning light telling me globes are blown goes away, but when is it a step too far. While Dan's absolutely correct that all intellectual property rights are an entitled form of monopoly, the question here is whether or not this is an appropriate monopoly. I just used the MS Antitrust case as an example because most people have heard of it. Did you know Google just got off with a warning in Europe for the same thing that cost MS a big pile of money. They admitted locking out 'fair play' by favouring their own, took a slap on the wrist and were not fined, but how many folks know about that. Very Few.

In any event I am still collating both lists despite my preference for the aftermarket ECU. Perhaps someone will crack the nut and get rid of the unneeded modules, there's a lot to emulate. If that path floats your boat then head over to canbushack or buy a copy of “Car Hackers 2014” ISBN: 978-0-9904901-0-4 off Amazon. The guys at canbushack have services where they reverse engineer the PCM etc – FOR A FEE. I peaked an interest in a mid 90’s initiative called Can4Linux run by Phillips with, as I understand it, a few engineers from VAG ( Volkswagen ) but not the spur I was preferring to be heading down so I just tagged it for now. Not my chosen path but have a read of Marco Guardigli’s blog anyway. If you want to have a go - this may or may not be useful, I haven't looked that closely at it yet TBH.
http://tge.cmaisonneuve.qc.ca/barbaud/Références techniques/CAN/CAN_BUS_Analyzer_Tools.pdf

In the meantime for those with a smartphone/tablet that want do see some of the messaging inside your 500 take a look at video of a Fiat 500 Abarth output at the bottom of the first link page.

http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTBLUETOOTH

or this

http://dashboss.myshopify.com/products/dashboss?referer=http://www.dashboss.com/

ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 scanner & Torque App does similar for cheap on Driod but licensing to Apple they haven’t done - so no go with iPad.
Apple is preferring the WIFI channel for this purpose so Bluetooth devices are not easy/cheap as I understand it.

BTW Papa Tony Single Malt from the island of Islay preferred. Bourbon I couldn't 'warm' to.

Roger Wilco

PS

If you want to discuss either

IT software; my good Samaritan record to date is over a dozen XP faithful moved to Linux Mint 17 for a cup of coffee and a piece of pie since support ended earlier this year. A lot of old farts my age won’t move as ‘it still works’ and were hacker fodder. Mint 17 looks like XP and is cheap on existing old PCs – if this describes you please take a look and turn off Win XP or at least run in dual boot to Nix when going online.

or a standardised CAN Bus system by all means PM me for an offline chat.

Hint

It already exists, OSEK (Offene Systeme und deren Schnittstellen für die Elektronik in Kraftfahrzeugen)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSEK

I still fail to understand why it is okay for an infotainment system to be integral to the vehicle communication system for the engine control unit to function, but please I am open minded - enlighten me with a valid reasoned POV.

Sandy
Share the knowledge

Sandy... a coupla things...

No Mea Culpa necessary... I just see it as a passionate interest.

As for the basic philosophy with what we appear to be attempting here "mechanically", could be easily encapsulated into a term I just read about today. "Welcome to the upgrade treadmill..."

Just don't wanna see this turn into a "downward spiral" when it comes the the "personal" aspects.

As for the technical discussion you went WAY beyond the knowledge, experience or passion to learn about with this old man. I find it interesting, but haven't got the 30 years left to catch up to where you are now. By then, it'll be antiquated as well! HA!

That goes for the Single Malt also.

As for the topic overall looking down from a 1000 feet... What is currently done by old hot-rodders like myself would be to totally strip the engine of its OE electronics and replace them with the BASIC stuff needed to run the engine alone... or the engine and trans. Popular conversions and kits are falling out of the sky... But not for a FIAT.

Then there is the MYSTERY surrounding all the controls and understanding what they do... what MUST be saved and replicated and what CAN be deleted without compromising what you wanted in the first place.

Anyway... I'll leave that all up to you folks to discuss... I'll just be that old, sick and disgruntled Vietnam Vet at the end of the block (ala Bruce Dern) and stick with what I have come to be comfortable with.

Back