Key Saga

WYOX19

True Classic
Getting keys for the X has been an ordeal. When the Queen’s ignition switch failed, Bob Brown graciously gave me a replacement. The ignition switch had only key and I wanted a few more keys. About a month and a half ago I ordered two key blanks on-line from a company in Arkansas. Their web site said “Sold” and that I was the winning bidder. The key did not arrive! I then ordered two key blanks from an Australian company, Keys4Clasics and they arrive 3 days ago. I took the key blanks into town and asked the hardware store owner to cut the two blanks.
He said this is going to be tough and maybe I should just cut one key so that you can try it. The Queen was home and later I tried the new key. It worked and she started instantly. Today I drove her to town and had the other key cut and she started instantly. I asked Todd, the owner how much he wanted and he said, “Jim, as much trouble as you’ve had I couldn’t possible charge you, take them and enjoy.”
IMG_0264_zps59266478.jpg

Yup, that sure was one ugly key...

Glad you got the new ones. Much better. :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting photos.

Yes, one-sided

I don't know when they went 2 sided, but this particular one was from a 1987 or 88 model. It came off a complete steering unit I was saving for whatever. Kinda like the rest of the 1000's of parts I have floating around here. :tomato:
I notice the late EU models have this style of key as well.

The 79 ignition key was originally one-sided

In the late 80's I replaced the ignition switch (probably a Bayless purchase) and the key that came with it was double sided. So, somewhere in the 80's.

Congrats on getting the new keys!

What's the rest of the story from the business in Arkasas? Have you worked with them on tracking the order? Have they responded well? Are they a business you would recommend positively?

Enquiring minds want to know! :)

For $5 I didn't bother and they only had one key blank. I would not do any business with them again.

Well... Me, being Mr. Frugal... for 5 Cents I'd have them...

BANNED from Ebay!

It just speaks to their CHARACTER... We have enough characters like that... We don't need anymore...

I think I said this before, but... When I get keys made...

for my Chevy... I'll go to Home Depot and their automated machinery. I also found one that took your credit card and you put your own key in... and a computer guided mechanism cut another one for you.

But when it comes to these rare blanks... I take it to a professional key shop... where I can go back to if there is a problem. Most are like the guy you have there Jim... they charge me nothing or next to nothing... and their business thrives because of all of their customer's recommendations!

Tony my key guy is 7 miles away and the next guy is 22 miles away and the next guy is 2 1/2 hours away. I'm just happy to have 3 keys that work.

Back