Ontario/Michigan Owners

WildWilly

True Classic
Over the winter, I may be doing a total rebuild from the bottom up. Looking for a good machine shop that has at least seen one of our motors before. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I'm thinking if there is a shop around that can do this work, its better to use them then just look in the phone book and hope for the best. I expect it will be a general clean up of the block and possibly boring out for oversized pistons. I'm in London, Ontario, but don't mind travelling to Michigan if needed. As always, thanks.

Do you have a plan?

Not sure is matters on the machine shop but it is important to give them the specs you are looking to machine to. With that said do you have a spec and/or budget planned? That will really dictate what you can do vs want to do. If you are looking to do a stock rebuild then most shops can do what you want. If you are looking for special work then yes, there are folks around. Between Toronto and Detroit there are many many people that can do the work.

Thanks...

I was in Detroit this week, next time maybe I'll try and find you. I do have a plan, its not totally nailed down yet, I'm working with FiatFactory to get the best plan in place. Hopefully, that will be nailed down soon. If you know anyone in the Detroit area that would be great. I suspect it will be cheaper to get the work done in the US than Canada. I'm in Port Huron a couple of times a month, so getting over to Detroit is no big deal. I think what I'm after is a good cleaning, boring out to 86.4mm, removing the paint that the PO put on, and a ever so slight decking of the block to make sure its nice and flat. The new euro head is on the way. If they offered a paint service, I would also get the block repainted in a better colour. Any idea what this would cost? Once I get it all back, then the rebuild really gets under way. Thanks...

If this is something you WANT to do... versus...

something you NEED to do to get the car running well...

I would suggest you ship the engine and parts to Matt's shop in Ohio (Midwest-Bayless) where they will do the job right and guarantee their work. They know what they are doing and can build both RELIABLE street engines as well as race engines.

If you really WANT to play... then don't let me stop you. But it still might be better to ship the parts to be machined to Matt... as this is what they do every day.

Lastly, do not forget to lighten and re-balance your flywheel... makes a ton of a difference for little money!

Continue having fun...

MWB

That's a good point, its a days drive to Ohio, so I could bring everything down to them and have them do the build. I think I'll call Matt on Monday.

$$$

Any idea what they might charge to rebuild the engine?? I will have all the parts, just need the labour to get it done.

Mention my name and then... DUCK!

HA!

I have no idea as to the cost... but I do know he is REASONABLE and RELIABLE and KNOWLEDGEABLE. You just might be paying a bit more for those "perks", but I'm also sure it would be worth it. Finding all those attributes in one shop elsewhere might be possible as well, but extremely rare.

All the variables you stated here would certainly be something to discuss and I'm sure he could give you a CLOSE estimate... while narrowing it down to the penny would be when he can actually SEE what machining needs to be done, as well as the compatibility of all the parts you bring him.

Good luck and when you stop in... say hello to Matt, Marne and Tom for me!

Back