Perplexed about Collective Assessment of X 1/9 AC

LarryC

Curator of #10105275
Whenever a comment arises in the literature or elsewhere, it is usually along the lines of how it is "not very effective". Having used the AC constantly in high 80 (F) to high 90s for the last three months in daily driving, and the last three months of last summer, I find that it is right up there with anything I have driven, old and new.

Overheating? No, not really. It just warms the engine up faster and the radiator fans come on more often.
Power? You get use to it. In fact, when you finally turn the AC off you get a pleasant "boost" in power.
Cooling efficiency? I am staying pleasantly chilled driving to and from work. Sometimes even a bit uncomfortably chilled.

So why all the negative press? Have I found the magic condenser size? Is the seven cylinder Sanden compressor I am running the answer? Just curious if anyone else feels that the X 1/9 AC is fine? I guess this thread is another way of saying that I am not in agreement with the general assessment. Anybody else feel the same?

I'm with you, I think it works fine. But, my newest car is an '88 Vanagon with A/C so I'm probably not as spoiled as some might be with newer cars' A/C performance.

My experiences with a stock AC in an X 1/9 have been pretty poor. I started with a 1987 with R12 in the system. The car had 30,000 miles on it when I got it and the AC was fully charged. It did not get very cold, in fact the air coming out of the vents was only mildly cooler than the air outside. I got a 1986 X, same problem. Then I got another 1987 X, this one leaked Freon and had been converted to R134. Wasn't worth using the AC at all. It wasn't until I built the system I have now with the aftermarket compressor and condenser that my AC has worked as good or better than most new cars. I don't get the volume of air coming out of the vents as a new car, but you really don't need that much air to cool an X 1/9. Many factors went into why the ACs in the Xs I have owned didn't perform, so I can't say all stock X 1/9s have bad AC, just that mine did. Now that I know a lot more about ACs, having built a system myself and upgraded parts, I would think that the weak link in the stock X 1/9 system is the condenser. It is very small compared to most modern cars. Also I definitely think that the AC lines go bad after several years and so those should be rebuilt/replaced if they are original. I do think that if all of the parts in a stock AC system were working properly, it is possible to get it to cool reasonably well.

Dennisrh, I think that you summarized it well

The new condenser and other new components along with 134a compatible hoses, etc appear to be the key. Rebuilding and re-sealing the evaporator definitely increased the efficiency as well.

Works till 85 degrees

The stock systems are just not up to the task of keeping the cars cool once outside temperatures pass 85 degrees. I'm sure there have been a few systems that were exceptions but not many.

Modified systems with better condensers and compressors can work decently. I have yet to ride in an X with A/C that kept up in a Texas summer with the targa top off like some modern convertible are able to do. And they always take a long time to cool down if the car is parked in the sun. A car with tinted windows and modern insulation does great with an updated A/C system.

I think if you're willing to do the work and spend the money to really upgrade the system then you can have respectable air conditioning but don't expect a stock system to keep you happy.

The stock systems are just not up to the task of keeping the cars cool once outside temperatures pass 85 degrees. I'm sure there have been a few systems that were exceptions but not many.

Modified systems with better condensers and compressors can work decently. I have yet to ride in an X with A/C that kept up in a Texas summer with the targa top off like some modern convertible are able to do. And they always take a long time to cool down if the car is parked in the sun. A car with tinted windows and modern insulation does great with an updated A/C system.

I think if you're willing to do the work and spend the money to really upgrade the system then you can have respectable air conditioning but don't expect a stock system to keep you happy.

Tinted windows and modern insulation definitly help.

Three layers of insulation, the equivalent or better than most modern luxury cars. My AC works great and will cool the car pretty quick with the top on and will keep the car comfortable even in 100 degree Texas heat. However, I am still using the original blower motor and it provides a light to mild breeze from the AC vents rather than hurricane force winds that some modern cars are capable of producing. So, with the top off, my AC will keep you cooler than if you did not have AC, but in 100 degree Texas heat you will still not be comfortable.

Funny story: a client drove me to lunch in his brand new Acura TL, black on black, it was upwards of 95 degrees that afternoon. I was sweating the whole ride to the restaurant and back, even with his AC on full blast. Was thinking to myself how ironic it was that I couldn't wait for him to drop me back off at my 30 year old X so I could turn on my AC and cool off.

Yes the blower is the only weak link

But a key to getting good performance from the existing blower is to make certain that the seal between the upper and lower evaporator-heater box is good. Its principal purpose is to keep air from moving around the sides of the evaporator, which it can easily do if the gasket is old and shriveled. I made a new gasket out of some thin high density foam and the air drawn in by the n=blower has only one one to get inside- through the ice-cold evaporator. So far the blower waggles the wife's hair when on full blast. I have to say that with the complete rebuild I did last year (http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/21920/) it does work better than I recall originally.

Here in Albuquerque at 5000 feet the sun really blasts down and bakes things right now with an extra dose of ultraviolet added in for good measure. Which is why a Saratoga top is not on my wish list. So even with a really strong blower motor, in the middle of the day taking the top off is not such a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a minute Larry... You added a larger condenser...

upgraded the compressor, converted to R134, replaced the hoses, re-sealed the evaporator enclosure, and are now discussing upgrading the blower.

So.... just what is left of the ORIGINAL Fiat A/C system? The drive belt?

I have ridden in a couple of STOCK A/C equipped Bertones... and my conclusion is they are WOEFULLY inadequate. I installed an aftermarket A/C in my Vette using all new upgraded components and it is super compact as well as very efficient... and I love it... BUT... compared to my 10 year old Pilot... its crap!

The Pilot's "MAXIMUM A/C" mode will blow back every little last hair on my head... as well as the socks off my feet... in the rear cabin as well. As you mentioned... the real efficiency is in the condenser and blower motor... Most compressors will supply all that is needed to the condenser, its the condenser's ability to convert the gas back into a liquid that is usually the issue.

Good stuff... but I believe your system is disqualified from the discussion as most of it is not original. Alas... I think you did a GREAT job with the upgrades and all should take note as this is something they should also do with theirs, short of replacing the entire system with a universal aftermarket A/C.

Back