No access panel behind seat

Pattracy

Daily Driver
I ordered an electronic distributor to replace my points style. In my 76 X1/9, I have no access panel behind my passenger seat. What size is the bolt? I'm going to have to make a wrench so I can get on it.

I ordered an electronic distributor to replace my points style. In my 76 X1/9, I have no access panel behind my passenger seat. What size is the bolt? I'm going to have to make a wrench so I can get on it.

My '74s don't have that access panel either, so I'm familiar with this problem. It's 13mm, but you should be able to get to it without making a special tool - a standard 13mm wrench will work, and a gearwrench is even easier.

1/2" often work too and thus I often sacrifice cheap ones to bend, cut into special shapes for such jobs

Well, yes and no... I didn't have ANY 13mm wrenches...

I could swing as well as trying a socket and wiggle fitting.

I ended up cutting a cheap, small combo box/open end wrench in half... and ground the edges smooth. Threw the wrenches in my on-board toolbox... I find the box end loosens and tightens very well and the open end to use in-between for snugging down when tuning.

I suppose there are probably some "shorty" wrenches out there that may/should work as well.

Hey Pat, Tracy... Since you are modifying the '76...

I imagine you are not necessarily a PURIST so I suggest the following:

Cut yourself TWO access holes, one for the dizzy and fuel pump, the other between the trunk and engine bay to gain EASY access to the alternator, water pump, intake and exhaust, etc. etc.

Use late model covers as patterns or design your own. Ideas are mostly in Version 1.0 - "Best Of", or ask here...

You are right Tony, I am not a purist. These cars are very cool and probably cutting edge, back in their day. Today we drive better daily drivers, so why would we not do all the upgrades that we can to make our classic cars more fun to drive. I don't want my wife's Cadillac STS to be more enjoyable to drive, if it is I might as well not have any of my toys. I do all kinds of upgrades to my VW Beetles too. But not sure about cutting into the firewall, I could fabricate a patch, but not sure if I want to. On the other hand I may have to Vick auto, told me distributor I am getting is a little taller, even with the 90* cap.

I could swing as well as trying a socket and wiggle fitting.

I ended up cutting a cheap, small combo box/open end wrench in half... and ground the edges smooth. Threw the wrenches in my on-board toolbox... I find the box end loosens and tightens very well and the open end to use in-between for snugging down when tuning.

I suppose there are probably some "shorty" wrenches out there that may/should work as well.

Like wise: I have several cut down/bent wrenches, come in very handy.

Well Pat, Tracy... Using a Harbor Freight cutoff wheel...

and a few hours time... especially if you have the late model covers to use as patterns... will save you hundreds of hours in the future.

I strongly suggest you do the deed so you aren't whimpering so much in the future!

HEY... ya know what's worse... Its having those access panels and not knowing you do... using outdated manuals and not having a site like this!!!

15 friggin' years I struggled... and so did some others when they finally admitted it! Take advantage of our trials and save yourself a whole bunch of time, frustration and money...

You got the ball...

covers

yo tony
I am currently making sheet metal plates to replicate the late model ones with and without the blower motor ducting for the panel between the engine and trunk. if any interested, let me know so I can I can get enough metal to do for all. I can't powder coat as my oven just isn't that big.
so it will be rattle can primer
mikemo90*aol.com

Back