Series Special Numbers

markx19

Mark Weinberger
I notice that there are X1/9's around the world with a sticker like in the picture. They each have the flag of country they where delivered to and a number. This is my question what are these numbers related to?

They don't match anything on the VIN or anything i can find.
How were these numbers assigned and how do i find out?

Pictures here http://x19.com.au/numbers

Serie Speciale - mystery....!

.....This is my question what are these numbers related to?.....
Pictures here
http://x19.com.au/numbers.....

.....your question has been asked MANY times over the years - by owners on this Forum, and also on the UK X1/9 club forum!
I have a '78 Serie Speciale X1/9 with the decal no. 3777 - my "understanding" of the decal numbering is some method of sequencing of the final production of 1300 X's by Bertone - at about the time that the 1500 models were starting production around early 1979.
One (sorta believable) theory is that Bertone desperately needed to clear all 1300 models off the production line to enable quick startup of 1500's. Fiat marketing "whiz-kids" decided to "specialize" these final production 1300 units with unique seat trim colours, exterior 'ladder' decals, front driving lamps, and unique paint colours (blue, green, and orange) specific to these final units.
These final-production units were to be marketed as Serie Speciale's.
The numbered decals (on the LH guard) REALLY become a mystery! The most 'believable' explanation I have heard is that the decal numbering is by paint colour! And that could be correct, as I have heard of a number of Serie Speciales in Arancio Metallic colour, as per my own X, with very close number sequences!
This epistle is merely what I have been able to glean about the Serie Speciale mystery! :hmm:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Thanks for the info, I think your on the right with the final batch of 1300 having the special sticker. If we had a list of AU and NZ users with there numbers and colours we can work it out.

Can you or anyone out there give me info we can work this one out?

So far i only have one on link below.

Stats on this i will keep and update on this link http://x19.com.au/numbers/sticker.htm

If you have one let us know so we can find out.

Decals

Hi Mark,
There are very few of the decals still intact on cars as most were removed/covered over when they were resprayed or have just deteriorated with age. I know of only two cars (out of about 20 '78's here in Adelaide) that still have these.
There was someone in Sydney a few years ago that mentioned they had a "box full" of these decals left over from a dealership.
My car's vin is 128AS0089106 and was complianced in Australia in 8/78. It was the blue metallic 447 colour.

Hi

Rogerthat,is that your X1/9 with the sticker?
What colour is the car and what is the VIN?

I will add it to the list.

X19 Stats

Mark, great work on getting the statistics. There was a woman in Sydney who collected quite a lot of info a few years ago along the same lines. She had one of the last Bertone X19's I believe.
I will circulate this among our club members here in Adelaide and see if we can contribute more information as we have around 25 X19's in our club at the moment.
It looks like you bought a blue 78? Did you get it locally? The blue one with the 1.5 motor for sale there looked like a great buy for who ever got it.
Cheers, Terry

Hi,

I think i know the lady your talking about. Not personally but have heard about her. Yes please pass on my site www.x19.com.au

I will be fixing up the site over time but i just threw this together for now.
There are links to the stats and production info.

I would like as much info as we can all gather to get more info on Australian X19's.

As for my 1978 X1/9 i bought it off an guy in his mid 70's. He did not advertise it, i was told word of mouth.
He was the second owner and took great care of it with it's original 73,000 Km and no rust.

Mark

Link to Cars Garage

Hi Mark,
here is the link to the woman who set up an X19 site in the late 90's in Sydney: http://www.carproductions.com.au/garage

I sent her quite a lot of info and photos about 10 years ago but did not get a reply. The site is still active, but does not seem to have any recent inclusions.

The was planning to set up a reference similar to yours and collected information on all X19's in Australia.

I will promote your site here among our X19 car owners and contribute what I know about the ones I've owned, seven over the years.

It would be good if you could do an archive, including photos, maybe like the one on the old Xweb54 site, for our cars here in Australia.

That looks like a great find with your 78, I'm glad you found a good one.

Cheers,
Terry

Back