Bleeding brakes and clutch

Pattracy

Daily Driver
I changed the brake and clutch masters in my 76 X1/9. I put everything back right, I think. Or at least the way it all came out. I replaced the hoses too. I am trying to bleed them, what a pain in the a**. When I try to pump them up I am not even getting any bubbling in the reservoirs. I could pump all day long and I don't think they would take any fluid. I think I will loosen some lines and let gravity work over night.

have you searched? because there's hundreds of threads on this, overnight bleed has been mentioned

That's the way.......!!

...... I think I will loosen some lines and let gravity work over night......

.....jack up the front of your X high, top up the m/cyl reservoirs, and loosen off all bleeders half-a-turn! Place fluid-catching containers under each bleeder!
DON"T let the reservoirs run out of fluid o/night!! (Set your alarm clock for 2 hour wakeup calls thru the night for you to top up the reservoirs!!):nod:.
Tighten up bleeders in the morning - look forward to hard brake pedal pressure + fully bled clutch.:excited:

cheers, Ian - NZ

As my Kiwi friend says... but just let them drip...

Then snug them down... have friend or spouse pump 3 times and hold them down... then loosen and re-tighten... do it again and again and walk around all four corners. Refill reservoir and it will take about 1 1/2 QUARTS of fluid to fill the entire brake system.

As for the clutch... loosen the line at the master and bleed, then at the banjo bolt near the slave, then at the bleeder at the slave... Keep the reservoir full as well.

Don't be discouraged... this method WILL WORK and has worked for me over the past 15 years or so. The brakes are especially bad... but don't give up. Take an hour off, have some Pizza and Beer and try again.

Let us know when you SUCCEED!

Back