Distributer removal help

Pattracy

Daily Driver
I have no spark on my 76 Fiat X1/9. I have 12volts on the + side of my coil! but when I crank it I have nothing on the other side. I think I need to change my points and condenser. I thought it would be easier to pull the distributer, but That doesn't look easy. Is it easier to change them in place or pull the whole thing out? And how do I get on the bolt to pull it?

Later cars have an access panel behind the passenger seat, don't know when they started that though. There's just that one 13mm nut that holds a plate which holds the dizzy, remove nut and dizzy pulls out, should put crank at TDC and note location of rotor before starting though, so reassembly is easier. If no access panel, can be done from top they say, just much harder!

I have no spark on my 76 Fiat X1/9. I have 12volts on the + side of my coil! but when I crank it I have nothing on the other side. I think I need to change my points and condenser. I thought it would be easier to pull the distributer, but That doesn't look easy. Is it easier to change them in place or pull the whole thing out? And how do I get on the bolt to pull it?
The only time I replaced the points on a Fiat I did it with the distributor in place. I would check a few other things first, though:

Check the coil primary resistance. There is a spec for it, but if you measure less than a few Ohms it is probably OK.. The failure mode is an open circuit, not slightly out of spec resistance.

Check coil secondary resistance. Again, there is a spec but if you measure somewhere between 5000 Ohms (5 kOhms) and 10 000 Ohms (10 kOhms) it is probably OK.

Finally, disconnect the wire from the negative side of the coil (the thin wire that goes to the distributor, not the fat high voltage wire). Check continuity between this wire and ground as you slowly turn the engine. I do this by jacking up the right side of the car (wheel chocks on left wheels, hand brake off). Put the transmission in 4th (5th if you have a 5-speed). Then rotate the right rear wheel clockwise. You should alternately measure continuity and no continuity to ground as the points open and close.

OK Pat, Tracy... if the dizzy won't come out...

because of a lack of room... as I said before, an access panel is best... BUT...

Try removing just one end of the Dog-Bone (brace... which is actually the top engine mount) and bending it up out of the way... you should now be able to rock the engine back towards the rear of the car and block it that way... to give you the room you need to pull it.

This is all THEORY, not from any real experience of mine... but access is probably why most have replaced the points while the dizzy is still in the engine... and why Fiat added the access panels..

Even if you '76 doesn't have the access panel from the spare tire well, this is an easy job. A stubby 13mm wrench is all you need to loosen the holddown nut.

I find it much easier to pull the distributor, do the points on the bench.

Back