What should I daily drive?

As an import tech and a shop owner ( although for fewer years than that) I pretty much agree. However, I do think the 3-series BMW is worth it. If I wasn't so insistent on high fuel economy (40 MPG+) My daily driver would be an E46 all wheel drive wagon.

04-07 Acura TL. 04-06 with MT or 07-08 TL-S you get Brembo front brakes. No fold down rear seat but a pass through in the rear armrest. Std Bluetooth, side curtain airbags, Honda reliability, 04-06 had problems with dash cracking, 06-08 have TPMS.
E39 BMW 530, Higher maintenance but great cars, no factory Bluetooth.
WRX wagon, if it hasn't been beat up, not luxurious, but very fun.

e46

as with any late model German car there is a lot to go wrong, however I have to admit lusting after an m3 or two.

$10k to spend - 4 dr family car - good mpg - gotta be unique and not cookie cutter - and something I can work on if need be...

*Saab 9-2X AWD (not many out there and truly unique)
*Ford Contour SVT (probably a better choice for a $5k budget, but I do like these cars)
*Jag X-type (awd ford contour in euro skin)
* Subie WRX (preferably the 2002-6 years)

and if you're into classics, then I think a Fiat124 sedan, Volvo 122, 144 or 240 series might be fun.

Last edited:

nice cars you had mentioned :)

if you want to have fun , take a mitsubishi lancer evolution ( X series , 298HP 4wd ) , or a ralliart ( 241 HP 4wd ) , both automatic ...
I drove evolution and I was more impressed then driving a mercedes sl500 with 350HP .

if you want to save cash , buy electric or hybrid .
This is how I see everything when buying another car :)
Good luck

I agree

find a nice e39 sport/premium with a 6 cylinder....Mine is 14 years old now and has had minimal repairs. You will love how it handles.

BMW-3

The wife drives a used 5 speed 3 series BMW and claims it has ruined her for any other car. And she has driven some pretty cool stuff over the years.

Volvo s60R AWD ?

Its more of an inquiry than a suggestion. My reference point is the numerous 240s and a 740 but as bullet proof as they were they are not a relevant comparison to the s60R. The numbers sure sound good; 300hp and almost 280 lbs of torque, 6spd AWD, nice comfort, etc. I have been eyeing a couple of clean used ones for less than $8k, but I think I know the answer. They would fail miserably on the reliability scale.

Back