Recommendations on shipping wheels

ryan

True Classic
I have three sets of wheels I plan to sell in the near future and wanted to see if I could get some recommendations on the best way to ship and estimate S&H cost.

I may also sell a set of tires. Can those just be duct-taped together in two pairs? I seem to remember that is how Tire Rack ships them.

Thanks,
-ryan

Shipping Wheels and Tires

Ryan,

Tires are easy - I just had a set of four delivered and they were simply strapped together as a stack using plastic reinforced strapping in two places - 180 degrees apart. Actually, one of the straps must have broken in shipping so the four were held by one strap. It look like a giant rubber charm bracelet - but it worked.

Wheels - not so easy. Try to find wheel size boxes and then incorporate the separate boxes into a larger box. If you must, find a large enough bow to accommodate them all and make sure to put enough packing material (cardboard pieces, rags) around each rim so they do mar each other in shipping.

Ed

I may be looking

for a set of wheels in the future to replace my phone dial style. Of course I am on the east coast so would certainly want to make sure the wheels were packed well because we have all seen how these delivery guys handle packages.

Go to fedex.com and set up an account for yourself. It only takes about 5 minutes and the savings are significant over walking in to a shipping store and paying retail.

You can get free laser labels from FedEx, but the easiest way is to just stop at local FedEx metal curbside drop off boxes and snatch up a half a dozen of the domestic shipping pouches. Then when it comes time to print the label, you just print it on a standard letter sized piece of paper, fold in half, and tuck in the pouch.

The best packing material to use on x1/9 sized wheels is "expanded polystyrene", IOW sheets of the same stuff they use to make styrofoam coffee cups. A 2 ft by 4ft 1/2" piece is $2.71 at Lowes.

I shipped a set of 13" wheels from Penna to Calif. I scrounged a toilet bowl box from a friend who was in the middle of a bathroom remodel. Lined it with the 1/2" thick styrofoam and also cut down the styrofoam sheets and used them as dividers to separate the wheels so they wouldn't bang against each other. As I recall it was about a 45# shipment, and was about 24" x 16" x 16".

I just tried to get a rate on FedEx.com but it was not working.

Hey Ryan... hope you are well...

My tires come delivered to my installer using plastic straps every 90 degrees for every TWO tires.

I've seen wheels AND tires shipped like that as well, face to face with cardboard between them and then strapping or CLEAR WRAP wrapped around them, again, two at a time. This way the tires are mounted, balanced, not too heavy and are ready to bolt on. Most ship easily with no damage in this manner.

Wheels alone are almost always shipped in a box... usually one per box, certainly no more than two with cardboard separators. Tires could be shipped separately as stated above. I believe this is best as well but I suppose they could be bubble wrapped and shipped that way without a box. I certainly would not do that with wheels that were perfect though.

HTH...

Shipping tires

I sent from Quebec Canada to Salt Lake City USA four Tires and I use plastic Saran Wrap.
I made two packages.

They arrive at the destination in good shape:hammer:
jc1TBLT.jpg

M4jRWoZ.jpg

Last edited:
Appreciate all the great suggestions guys! Apologies that I hadn't gotten back on Xweb for a bit after I posted the message.

Karfrik, I replied to your PM as well.

Thanks again folks! :)

-ryan

Back