Getting very discouraged...

DR1553

True Classic
I've been hunting an X1/9 since June with no luck.

A month ago I missed a '74 by about an hour. I've now been unlucky enough to see the car in person and fell in love with it instantly. I shouldn't have waited the extra few hours to discuss it with the wife before pulling the trigger on that one. I contacted the owner the evening before but needed to sleep on it. The next day I decided to go for it but by the time I discussed with the wife in the evening it was too late.

In mid July I drove to Oklahoma to see one that was just too modified for me, but a great deal for someone wanting a race car.

I saw a car for sale local (only a 1 hour drive) that was an absolute POS.

Just yesterday I drove a 500 mile round trip to see one that, unfortunately, because of a very drastic modification, won't work for me. I don't want to post why. It's simply a matter of taste. It's a great car but has been modified in a way that will take the right owner.

I tried to get the free "1979" but for some reason was never was able to contact the owner, and now seeing the pics of how good it is....just makes me sick.

Boo hooo.....I know but dammit I need to vent a little here.

So I've seen 3 cars for sale in person that I walked away from, 2 that I really want that aren't for sale and a free one I would have taken no doubt if given the chance.

Arghhhhh. I feel like Charlie Brown getting the rocks for halloween. :blackeye:

Just hang in there!

You will, no doubt, find your X1/9 and it will be be right one... even if it takes a few tweaks to get there. Just have your mind and money open and ready. There was a nice one on the west coast that looked nice and sold low, which I would have liked to have, but more are sure to come as they always do.
Regards

There are several pockets of Texas Xweb members, I would suggest a post titled "Looking To Meet Up With XWeb Members located near Name-of-Big-Town, Texas."

Get to know the area Xheads, they may have a line on a car that is flying under the radar.....

You could also post in For Sale and Wanted and describe the car you are looking for, to see if that shakes the tree.

That car looks extremely rusty to me. A little rust, ok, but look closer and you can see rust has taken hold of that one in a bad way.

Don't know how far afield you are looking or what you budgeted, but there is a yellow one on Buffalo, NY craigslist. I have no connection to the owner, and am a long way away from Buffalo. Maybe a Xweb member would be willing to look at it for you.

DaveR

I've been keeping an eye on that one hoping he might drop the price. I also wasn't considering the 1.3 version but after seeing that 1974 a few days ago I am. I like the interior much better than the later cars....and I really am a sucker for carbed engines. I love em.

It looks great in the pics, but hard for me to believe a NY car is rust free? Maybe if it was only a play car?

It's outta my budget, especially after shipping all the way to Houston....but if he'd take around $2,500....hmm.

Disregard the previous link, I just saw your last post that your budget is around $2500. This one is out of your budget. But it's a nice car.

That's not my budget. I just think that car would be right at around $2,500.....for me anyways accounting for $1,000 - $1,500 to ship it.

What's the other car of which you speak? The really nice 86? If so, oh ya....I like that one, but that is outta my league.

I have a 74...

Hello, I have a 74 that I would sell to someone that wont modify much . I REALLY like this car and never thought of selling ,but my health isn't what it used to be. If it matters , I have a nice 79 x1/9 and a parts car as well. If you come this far to get, you could go home with a lot. my email is geesnipe...at...live...dot...com. I have trouble opening pm on this sight sometimes but you can try. Grant

Hello, I have a 74 that I would sell to someone that wont modify much . I REALLY like this car and never thought of selling ,but my health isn't what it used to be. If it matters , I have a nice 79 x1/9 and a parts car as well. If you come this far to get, you could go home with a lot. my email is geesnipe...at...live...dot...com. I have trouble opening pm on this sight sometimes but you can try. Grant

I will PM you right now, I'll email later just incase. No, I won't modify, especially not a 74. I'm very much an original kinda guy when it comes to vehicles. I'm into classic bikes and the few that I own are all original. I've kept the original paint on my 1977 KZ, even thought it's not in the best shape....I just like it that way.

If it makes you feel any better your $2500 budget wouldn't be enough to get the brown free x on the road. Thus far:

"Ran when parked" was a bit untrue considering the brake calipers were hanging by ropes and the rotors were not bolted on. Only the wheel bolt held the assembly together

Bad fuel pump
Bad clutch cylinders
Bad brakes. Every single part
Carburetor shot
Junk rims
Bad tires
Broken windshield
Headlamps don't rotate
Bad carpet
Bad seats
Hacked up radio wiring

I view it as a full rebuild. I'm not sure about the transmission or engine yet except they both turn.

Goldfish

I look at these project X1/9s like goldfish. A goldfish might sell for $0.50, or it might be free, but the thrill of the $0.50 you might save by finding the free goldfish fades when you then spend $20 on the aquarium, $10 on the filter, $5 for your gravel and sunken ship, etc. Looks like Brad has gone into this deal with eyes wide open!

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better your $2500 budget wouldn't be enough to get the brown free x on the road. Thus far:

"Ran when parked" was a bit untrue considering the brake calipers were hanging by ropes and the rotors were not bolted on. Only the wheel bolt held the assembly together

Bad fuel pump
Bad clutch cylinders
Bad brakes. Every single part
Carburetor shot
Junk rims
Bad tires
Broken windshield
Headlamps don't rotate
Bad carpet
Bad seats
Hacked up radio wiring

I view it as a full rebuild. I'm not sure about the transmission or engine yet except they both turn.

If you're feeling overwhelmed I'll be glad to come take it off your hands. I see a complete rust free car...the rest...no problem. :)

I'm not overwhelmed, but this is a terrible candidate for a first time project (I'm not sure if this is your first project or just first fiat or first X). Do yourself a favor and start with a running car that needs lots of help, versus an everything is wrong car.

I'm not overwhelmed, but this is a terrible candidate for a first time project (I'm not sure if this is your first project or just first fiat or first X). Do yourself a favor and start with a running car that needs lots of help, versus an everything is wrong car.

Not my first project...but first Fiat, X1/9. But I do my best work when I jump feet first into the deep end blindfolded.

M first vehicle was a 1972 Chevy truck. It was 'given' to me after it had been sitting in my grandpas yard for 8 yrs. This was late 90's, so it wasn't fresh even when it was parked. I barely knew where to put gas in the thing and was on my own. My dad hates to work on cars, to this day even...so it was all me.

Since then I've really enjoyed the thrill of bringing something back that has been given up on....or has just been sitting for whatever reason.

Back