My wife informed me of an accounting error

AZDrifter

True Classic
I thought I was well under ten grand, but I now have five figures invested in an X that needs body work, has no A/C, is noisy as hell, and starts sporadically. On the bright side, I just ordered the third suspension, and hopefully the last. It's a labor of love, but you'd think it would be a nice daily driver by now!

Compliments and reminiscing from folks everywhere I go, so that's a payoff :sun:

There are a LOT more expensive hobbies you could get into.

(depending on how long you have had the car) Smoking could be more expensive let along more harmfull to your health

I thought I was well under ten grand, but I now have five figures invested in an X that needs body work, has no A/C, is noisy as hell, and starts sporadically. On the bright side, I just ordered the third suspension, and hopefully the last. It's a labor of love, but you'd think it would be a nice daily driver by now!

Compliments and reminiscing from folks everywhere I go, so that's a payoff :sun:

10K is not bad. specially if you stretch it out over a number of years. I don't keep close track of things like that but guess I have fifteen thousand or more spent over the last 16 years. Between my wife an me we have spent way over that on soft drinks in those 16 years. Complements always help. It hasn't happened so much lately but when I first got my X1/9 it seemed like just about everybody had a roommate that owned one.

And you said what?

I've learned over a couple of decades of marriage and classic car ownership that you can't win in these situations, you just smile and say "yes."

I have the advantage that my wife's very wise grandmother told her she really liked my car hobby, it kept me from wandering and getting in trouble. Not that I really think Jen is worried about me wandering or getting in trouble, but I like that the hobby is supported by the wisdom of an old woman.

As for spending money on cars and the like my wife has been good to me. My favorite story I like to tell is about my first motorcycle. In 1970 I was all turned on by choppers and had to have one. I pored a lot of money into that bike and my wife of not quite a year said nothing the whole time. A couple years later I had new projects and decided to sell the bike. I got a pretty good price for it and the guilt caught up with me. I gave her the money and told her after watching me spend so much money she deserved to go on a shopping spree. She shamed me when all she came home with was a new ironing board and vacuum cleaner. It was our first argument over money. I personally took her shopping and the good time we had spending most of the money on her is a whole other story. I have my car running pretty good and there is not much to do to it other than drive it and doll it up here and there. I just put an analog clock in to match the other gauges. I cheaped out and made one out of a small battery clock and while it looks ok I am not totally happy with it so my wife is on my back to spend the $40 for the one I really want. Looks like I might have fifteen thousand forty in the car in the next few days.

She isn't upset about it, but she would lile a car that is more functional for what's invested. Somehow everything becomes a racecar in this household. :shock:

AZDrifter,
A great wife that supports you and your hobby(ies) is very hard to find. Just don't forget to pamper her as well.
As for the funds... X's are very cheap in comparison to other collectable autos. You do need to get caught up in the servicing and repairs and just maintain them the rest. X's will provide many years of unique enjoyment.
My wife finally took her first ride in mine yesterday.
She sort of complained about how loud the X is the whole time. I told her she needed to drive it to really appreciate it.
We went home but she now knows why I like my X so much and that understanding will help me in my procurement of new struts and bushing this winter. :)
Good luck with the bodywork and post pics of your progress.
V/r,
Mike

Nebraska Mike

Oh God, if I ever get the dents removed and the car painted, that will push it over $15K easy. We actually keep count of the expenses out of perverse curiosity at this point.

As stated above by another X'er, I gave up counting. Heck, I've moved thrice since I started this project, I don't even know where the receipts are any more..

Back