South Easterners... you are in my thoughts...

Many thanks!

It did not get to the mountains and our home near Charleston, SC is inland and high enough to be fairly safe... word is power is out and some limbs down but no trees. As I prepared to head west to the Asheville area I looked up and saw a red headed pine tree... since they are evergreens this would be a problem without a hurricane bearing down on us... I will take that one and as many more as I can cut down and replace with hardwood trees... has been a strange season for sure our front neighbors had three trees knocked over a few months back mostly just falling in the woods... nobody heard them but I suspect they did make a sound!
Dragonsgate were you a bubble head?

I have been called a lot of things ending with head but never a bubble head. Tell me what a bubble head is so I can give you an answer or at least be prepared if it ever happens.

You would not have asked if you were one...

Bubble heads ride boats that go under water... designed to sink. Skimmers ride all them ship things that only sink once... it's all good! Have many friends of both varieties. Had several friends that left for the fleet due to not getting through sub school and still more because they did not get through A or C school and still more because they had a girlfriend or sister or someone else give them some "special" adult brownies anyway they went to the surface fleet and they were great friends! After being underwater for 60 days pretty much anything I had to do on land was easy since I got to go home every night! Good memories far outweigh the bad from my time served.
Regards

I kind of thought of subs. Either that or a flight crew on a carrier that wore those big helmets. I new a kid that signed up for six years for nuclear subs and then washed out and still to do the six. I was what was affectionately known as a snipe. I spent most of my time down in the hot oily bowels of the ship messing with the boilers. I was in from 66 to 70. We were part of the Token Gulf canoe club. Toni (Black Tooth) was over there the same time I was except on different ships. My ship got hit one night and I often wounder if Toni's ship was the one that did it but he ain't talking.

Update

Went to SC on Monday and all clear! Just a ton of twigs and power out until Tuesday afternoon. Had a generator so not a big deal... freezer was OK and the fridge section was still coolish but we took the opportunity to completely clean out both for a fresh start! Couple cars out in the yard but as it was just twigs and small branches nothing got damaged. Not so for many folks... a few pines broke but it was mostly hardwoods with shallow root systems that tipped. Eastern NC got a mess but I have not seen this in person... WNC is OK!
Regards

Went to SC on Monday and all clear! Just a ton of twigs and power out until Tuesday afternoon. Had a generator so not a big deal... freezer was OK and the fridge section was still coolish but we took the opportunity to completely clean out both for a fresh start! Couple cars out in the yard but as it was just twigs and small branches nothing got damaged. Not so for many folks... a few pines broke but it was mostly hardwoods with shallow root systems that tipped. Eastern NC got a mess but I have not seen this in person... WNC is OK!
Regards

Good to hear you came out fairly well. Mt friend in Greensboro NC said they got about three inches of rain but east of them got flooding.

Bubbleheads, Twidgets and Snipes...

I was a Second Class ET... communications and the only ship I was on was an LCM outta Coronado Island to the First Street landing in San Diego. (About a 20 minute liberty launch and going back to base on the Midnight run under the stars and the Coronado Bridge was breathtaking...)

My time in Vietnam was ashore... and my only malady was to be doused with A/O and a case of PTSD diagnosed just 5 years ago. I'm at the VA these days averaging 2 times a week and I usually wear a US NAVY Cap that also has the three common ribbons embroidered on it. Most then ask me what ship I was on... and I say the USS NAVFAC DANANG.

HA! Most then ask if that was a Destroyer... HAHAHAHA!

To my shipmates here and to all Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen, I say "thank you for your service". To my brother's in arms from back in the day I say, welcome home..."

I was a Second Class ET... communications and the only ship I was on was an LCM outta Coronado Island to the First Street landing in San Diego. (About a 20 minute liberty launch and going back to base on the Midnight run under the stars and the Coronado Bridge was breathtaking...)

My time in Vietnam was ashore... and my only malady was to be doused with A/O and a case of PTSD diagnosed just 5 years ago. I'm at the VA these days averaging 2 times a week and I usually wear a US NAVY Cap that also has the three common ribbons embroidered on it. Most then ask me what ship I was on... and I say the USS NAVFAC DANANG.

HA! Most then ask if that was a Destroyer... HAHAHAHA!

To my shipmates here and to all Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen, I say "thank you for your service". To my brother's in arms from back in the day I say, welcome home..."

Some how in our early conversations when I first came on this forum I got the impression You was on the USS New Jersey.

We escaped! Matthew was nary a whimper where I live, but the coast got a wallop, even then it wasn't as bad as was predicted

Back