New shoes for the 124 Special

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
The 124 got some BWA Sportstars and Achilles 122s installed last night. I had mounted/balanced these tires a week ago and never got the chance to put them on till yesterday. Looks so much better than the stock steelies with skinny old tires. It rides nicer too. This car is still a work in progress, but it is coming along.

Before:
pass_side_1.JPG

After:
IM003285.JPG
IM003288.JPG

Last edited:
It's growing on me

I only bought this car because it was too nice to leave where I found it. It's not really my cup of tea, but is is growing on me. I got some chrome polish (haven't needed that for more than a decade) and went after the front bumper. It cleaned up really well, so I guess I will work over the rear bumper and the rest of the trim. More work. :hammer::mallet:

Glad you like it Zonk, I know who to contact when I am ready to sell it. ;)

Jim, I was admiring the pics ...

when I read Zonker's post and then your reply.

"Glad you like it Zonk, I know who to contact when I am ready to sell it."

Umm, yeah, call Zonker when you're ready to sell it.

In the mean time, it is a sharp 124 and I like the addition of the new wheels and tires. You have it on a nice restoration track and it would definitely make a fun daily driver.

(Just don't call me when you want to sell it because I can resist anything ... except temptation.) :)

Historic plates

Well Tom,

I registered it as a historic vehicle with a year of manufacture plate, so daily driving it is not really an option. Legally. :devil: Of course I have it on good authority that you have to be really driving like an a-hole to get pulled over and get you log book inspected. I don't even have a log book yet.

Look to the future JD...

Have you noticed how many Xs are offered for sale
by older guys who have trouble with cockpit access?

I faced that 8 years ago...daily driving an X was getting more painful.
Bought a 128 sedan at that time, which allowed continuing
the Fiat passion for longer than I could have otherwise.

Autotranny is also a big plus in my book, nowadays.

Automagic

Hi Mike,

The automatic is kind of unusual for a Fiat. I had seen a few Spiders with the auto, but that's about it. Of course I was never into the sedans, so perhaps its more common than I know.

I was uncertain about my feelings towards the styling when I bought it. As I clean it up I am starting to appreciate it a little more. It is a pretty solid car and all the parts seem to be present.

Anybody know how to get the rear "package shelf" out. I am thinking it will require removing the back seat. The vinyl covering is completely destroyed right now and the light brown board reflects up into the rear window making it hard to see out the back.

Rear seat removal...

...I've not done it on 124, but I'd wager it's similar to 128 sedan.
Which I'll try to describe from memory...

1. Remove lower cushion first by lifting very bottom/front edge.
It has couple large locating pins which point down
and engage to recepticles in floorboard.
Might help to also push backwards at bottom/front edge.

2. Remove upper cushion by bending body tabs that engage to
steel rod/framework of the upper cushion...these are below upholstery.
Then lift upper cushion off the body hooks that engage higher on cushion backside.
About a inch is all you lift.

3. Rear package shelf is secured to body by about 4 small body tabs,
located about an inch below horizontal surface of the shelf piece.
Bend those straight, and the shelf should slide forward & out.
It's a snug fit below rear glass and roof pillars.

Caution...if same as 128, it's made of flimsy/fiberous stuff,
with texture pressed into it, and then thin coat of color.
It's also contoured, so cutting a flat panel to fit would be a challenge.
I'd sprayglue a sheet of vinyl over the top.
Hope that helps!

Thanks Mike!

That confirms what I was looking at. The seat bottom was already loose when I picked the car up. I took the bottom out of the car and I saw some sheet metal tabs bent thru small steel hoops on the seat back frame. I thought I would need to bend those up to get the back off, but I figured I would ask before I did something that could be stoopid. :)

I plan to wrap the board in a new matte black fabric of some sort that I haven't sourced yet.

Thanks!

You are not alone Zonk

I love that car, Jim. I'd rock that as my daily driver!

Apparently you aren't alone in your love of this 124 Zonk.

I have only driven this 124 a handful of times as I try to get it running better. Every time I get a few thumbs ups and people stop me in parking lots to look at the car and tell me how nice it is. I have never had that level of reaction to one of my X1/9s. Weird IMHO, but the car is growing on me. :)

It is looking better and better with each new picture. I have always like the sedan, particularly the early single headlight cars. A twin cam would be a great addition to the car :devil:

You are a great caretaker and are really bringing it up to a great standard. Nice work.

I have the same set of wheels and have been looking forward to getting them onto one of my cars.

You keep teasing me with that twin cam

Hi Karl

I need to figure out whats up with the engine I have right now, but a more powerful, better running engine could be in this cars future. It won't happen any time soon.

Thanks Tim

The Sportstars are really a nice fit on this car. MikeM told me they would be a good choice and he is the king of BWAs. I did the mount and balance in my garage and it seems I did OK. Got the car up to 65 on a local back road and had no shimmy or shake. I haven't ginned up the courage to try actual highway driving yet.

True that...

I have never had that level of reaction to one of my X1/9s. :)

Same experience here after 8 years of daily driving my 128 sedan.
Retro-ness of "3-box" profile draws more attention than any vehicle I've had.
And from a wide cross-section of society.
Europeans, geezers, teenage girls.
Favorite comment..."Isssat ah Bay Em Wubble U?"

My non-car friends are amazed by the thumbs-ups when we're truckin' about the town.

Back