Toyota

Considering it is legal to transmit narcotics by mail here in the USA, I don't see it as a huge deal, other than she got caught lying on the customs docs.

I worked as a general manager for a second tier Japanese auto parts manufacturer and if the news was to report half of the craziness that went on during normal business hours this event would seem like a non-plus, which I think it is.

Two things, IMHO...

Women execs as a whole is a relatively NEW and FOREIGN idea in itself for the Japanese culture as I know it. In fact, when I met with NT&T execs in the late '80s they were SHOCKED to see that my boss was a WOMAN that oversaw Long Distance operations for all of Southern California. She was tall and good looking as well... and as far as height goes... the Japanese execs seemed to range in order from the top down... by their HEIGHT, and in the party of about 20, all were men!

Secondly, Ms. Hamp... Hmmmm... Lets see

1. She's a women... no problem.
2. She's a foreigner... no problem
3. She's apparently not under a doctor's order or prescription for Oxycodone. BIG PROBLEM.
4. Why was the package marked Neckties and the drugs wrapped in plastic? BIG PROBLEM, as it reflects as to the character of the people she associates with or is in cahoots with.
5. Why would she need a lawyer if she was under a doctor's care? BIG PROBLEM. She should have asked for her DOCTOR.

Well... just looking at this from a numerical standpoint, its a 3 - 2 WIN that this women is of questionable character. But isn't that what it takes to be a Corporate Exec these days?

HA!

The thought did come to me though... What do you think would happen if I sent some of my extra Hydrocodone meds to President Obama wrapped in tin foil... and in a package marked "Ladies Foundations"?

What do you think would happen if I sent some of my extra Hydrocodone meds to President Obama wrapped in tin foil... and in a package marked "Ladies Foundations"?

I think we'll all be reading about that crazy :nuts: SoCal guy on the news who owns an X1/9 and a Corvette. Ha! News at 9 ... :eek:mg:

TOYOTA SCANDAL

Thanks for comments,
Well, there will be a culture differences, such as like gun control,
I think It's difficult to merge cultures.

Not a culture problem...

I don't think it's a culture problem but a legal one, in Japan such prescription drugs are much more restricted than in the US and require special permission, even if you are not a citizen.

It's like if you go to Thailand, their laws are strict: “Violators of laws related to illicit drugs, e.g., having and holding for use, or being a producer, seller, or transporter are subject to the death sentence.”

So, you don't do illegal drugs in Thailand if you don't want to risk death.

I think it's news because she's the highest female executive in Toyota in Japan, and so it's a scandal.

Spot on, Greg......!

.....I think it's news because she's the highest female executive in Toyota in Japan, and so it's a scandal....

Yep, even after all the so-called "years of Japan-US assimilation", there still lurks that deep-seated element of mistrust between the two countries.
I can't stop thinking that something smells of a set-up in this instance! (maybe I'm a cynic?).

cheers, Ian - NZ

Well Greg, Ian, Mr. Amada-san, I think...

the LEGAL thing is actually just ONE HALF of it! I wonder how that nation would have responded if this was a MAN.

This woman went up to bat with two strikes against her to start with...

1. She is a woman.
2. She is a foreigner
3. She allegedly participated in illegal drug use or trafficking.

Ta-daa! She's OUT!

As far as changing cultures is concerned... I think we have tried too many times and failed and often wonder why we bother. I cite Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Fortunately and Unfortuantely, the Japanese culture that once wanted to press their ideals across the planet came to an abrupt end with not so many left to press the issue.

From my limited experience with Japanese nationals in the past 67 years... I feel they are generally industrious, good friends and allies... and their idea of drug enforcement laws are something we Americans should probably adopt.

I think we'll all be reading about that crazy :nuts: SoCal guy on the news who owns an X1/9 and a Corvette. Ha! News at 9 ... :eek:mg:

Wait... I resemble that remark! :shock:

And Oh, the stories I can tell when I used to visit Tokyo for annual reports. Hostess Bars that were a cross between a Dennys with the lights turned out and a Las Vegas brothel, Night Clubs where all the people dancing were in mirrors watching themselves so they could "get it right", and Restaraunts that rivaled what you see on the "Bizarre Foods" TV show (they liked seeing what the white guy could handle LOL).

Thanks for comments,
Well, there will be a culture differences, such as like gun control,
I think It's difficult to merge cultures.

I think the biggest difference between the US and the Japanese culture is the "melting pot" assimilation we have here compared to the relative ethnic purity (and customs) that Japan has.

Translate

Just google translate it back to English...
How lazy can you get, buddy,
Have a nice week.

WELL! I never!

もったいないです translates as "It's a waste." A waste of what? Or does that mean its not worth discussing?

And BTW...

לדפוק אותך !

HA! Hey, this Google Translator works GREAT!

Let's try Italian now...

Fottiti!

And to think I was gonna extend my hand of American Friendship and share my Good Wishes for a Happy Father's Day with you...

FURGITABOUTIT

But that does remind me, do say "Hello" to your daughter Irit for me...

Last edited:
translating

For some reason I thought I translated "What a shame" into Japanese.
Testing it now it does come out to "it is a waste.
Go figure those Japanese...
And I'll sure relate to Irit.
Be well

Indeed... HA! But like every language there are...

colloquialisms that can change the meanings COMPLETELY...

The two-finger "Peace Sign" commonly used here in the States has a totally different meaning in Australia...

Nicely stated, Zonk......!

....I think the biggest difference between the US and the Japanese culture is the "melting pot" assimilation we have here compared to the relative ethnic purity (and customs) that Japan has.....

....I quite agree!! Having experienced both "cultures", albeit some years ago (and from a non-partisan point of view), I think you have summarised the subtle differences in the US/Japanese outlook on "life in general" very accurately!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back