Lancia Beta FI Distributor Conversion Help

lanciahf

True Classic
Hi All,

Along with converting my Scorp to FI I'm also installing a Beta FI Distributor. Today I replaced the inner seal and vacuum advance capsule. This is one weird distributor.

I went to install it and Ahhh how do I time this thing? I mean how to do you set it to fire at #4 cylinder if you can not see the trigger or the cap is not marked? I just assumed this would be like my Fiat Spider, where everything is visible and marked.

Also I'm missing a distributor hold down clip, please tell me I can use one from another model.

Thanks,
Ralph

Setting the timing is just like with other cars, figure out which distributor post you want to use for #4 and aim the rotor at it when installing the cap.

Also, I have spare clips I think, I can check tonight.

Additional: there's only one right way to install the dizzy, which will put it in a range that will be correct timing-wise. This pic shows the general relationship between the dizzy, mounting plate and cam housing.
IMG_20140126_193301768_zpsu8rp2enx.jpg

Thanks Greg, My distributor layout looks like yours, hopefully its close. Using the firing order of 1-3-4-2, I picked what I think is # 4.

If you find the clips please let me know.

Also did you find a generic air filter to fit in the housing?
Thanks!

I tried to use an ebay filter but it wasn't a good fit, too tall. I got a stock filter from one of our vendors. Worth the price. If you want to get creative you might be able to make a shop vac filter work.

Make sure you study the architecture of your particular cap, the #1 plug wire post might be connected inside to the front or the rear depending on how the cap is made.

I double checked...

I double checked my layout. On my cap, with the posts of the cap pointed at the rear window, #4 is the bottom post. Hope that helps.

As I recall from my FI HPE many years ago, the dizzy has an offset slot drive and the shaft can only fit in one position relative to the camshaft. You have timing adjustment from the slotted fixing lugs but the No.4 post position is dictated by how it all fits together.

Back