Vick's sport springs?

Eastep

True Classic
Hi everyone. I'd like to lower my car and improve the handling, but I'm not sure I would be justified in spending $700+ on coilovers (even though they'd give the best look and performance) as I don't really plan to AutoX or really "push" this car too much and feel coils would be a bit of a waste. This brings me to Vick's springs. I see on the site atleast a Red, Green and Blue option. Does anyone here have experience with any of these, and are the spring rates different between colors ( if so which is preferred?) Thanks.

My feeling is that currently there is only one type of sports spring available, all vendors have the same springs (just my impression, no proof on that).

I ran them for a long time, they are nice, but do eliminate the suprisingly comfy ride of a stock X.
My question is, what shocks will you be running with them?

I'll be using stock/kyb struts. I think KYB is the only struts available for our cars at the moment and could be whats on there now. The GR2S are also now being painted black instead of silver. I'll Check what is on there now. An Xweb-er offered basically new KYBs with black sport springs for around $350 all in, so this is a 3rd option now.

1. New Vick's springs (current struts) around $200
2. KYB w/sport springs around $350
3. Vicks Hydra coil overs around $700

I can afford any options, but would like to keep some operating cash for other parts as well.

I would jump on the $350 deal. :)
New KYBs can definitely handle those springs.

Henk offers some other options in his online store, but you can't beat that 350...

currently running Vick's Sport Springs and KYB GR2's.

Its lower, reasonable taught, well mannered with the front sway bar.

It is rumored that the Vick's and IAP sport springs were once from the same manufacturer. No idea of what the current Vick's are.

For street performance and curvy road work, it is a good choice.

Take the $350 offer.

Those sport springs

They've been on my car a VERY long time, along with the KYBs. I've always wondered if they've been slowly sagging all these years. I would have to do a direct comparison with a new set of springs for any longevity softening issues. But in the meantime, I still enjoy the ride. The slightly lower ride height looks great.

I just bought the coilovers

My 76 needed a suspension upgrade badly so I just went for the coilover package from Vics. Back are installed and hopefully the front will be in the next few days. I liked the idea of camber modification along with the variable ride height adjustment so ... They seem to be a pretty good deal as well.

coilovers_zps3zq6ow6b.jpg

I went with the progressive springs which Eurosport UK sells. Was hoping for an overall good ride height, firmness for the turns and good balance for ride quality. I also have a front sway bar installed.

I drove this configuration last summer. Compared to the cut springs I previously had the ride height was similar (I think these springs cause the nose to sit ~1/2 inch higher than my cut springs) and the ride is still firm but me thinks a little better.

http://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=595

I've used springs very much like those

And they are excellent. If I didn't have a coil-over system, I'd use them again.

My 76 needed a suspension upgrade badly so I just went for the coilover package from Vics. Back are installed and hopefully the front will be in the next few days. I liked the idea of camber modification along with the variable ride height adjustment so ... They seem to be a pretty good deal as well.

coilovers_zps3zq6ow6b.jpg

What type of shocks did you picked?...also would like to know how you like the new setup!...keep me posted!!..thanks

I've been riding on Vick's springs for almost a year now. I have two X's - one with stock springs and one with Vick's. For the price, I think the Vick's springs were a great value.

They ride slightly lower and offer a bit more tautness. I installed them over new KYB's and I really could not be happier with the handling vs ride equation.

They offer the perfect balance between comfort and control for a spirited "street" driver. If I were AutoXing the car, I might go to coilovers or stiffer springs but as a daily driver/fun car, I think its the ideal combo.

Ed

What type of shocks did you picked?...also would like to know how you like the new setup!...keep me posted!!..thanks

I am planning on putting another engine in the car in the future in an attempt to get 250 hp. For that reason I chose the stiffer spring option. We'll see if that was the correct choice or not in a few weeks when I get it on the road (albeit with stock engine).

Yes, yes, this is all very interesting BUT...

what those of us who enjoy the X 1/9 in its mostly stock configuration would really like to know from those who are swapping springs around and such: It is said that after several decades the stock springs -which cannot be purchase anywhere except in used and presumably sagged form- are lower than the Vicks short springs. Can anyone speak to that theory? I sure would like new springs, but I just don't want to go any lower than what I have (old stock) now.

In my experience, X springs don't sag much at all.
My buddy still has the original stock springs in his 75, and the car still sits way tall like it did when new.
He does have new top mounts in it though, those way sag somewhat.

So what is the origin of this comment?

"For most owners, these springs will provide a nice 1" drop under stock (which was most certainly higher than your car sits now), right out of the box. " from the Vicks sport spring description.

Over time and load cycling ALL springs sag-change shape, it is a matter of degree.

The absolute head-ache of serious racer folks is inconsistent springs. Good quality springs have their actual spring rate marked on the end. With this specification, the overall height of the spring is measured to x.xxx" , spring rate measured to fractions of a pound -vs- loaded height then the spring is serial number with the measured specifications logged. After a few races and chassis test, when the springs come out, they are checked for variations from original new.

In the case of stock springs on the exxe or most ANY street driven car, slight variations in spring rate is not really noticeable at all due to condition of the dampers, rubber bushings, road surface, expectations and sensitivity to chassis condition and all that. Fact is, street driven cars are not competing for the last 0.0000x second of lap time for field position.

New springs and dampers are a good thing. These are known wear items that are extremely neglected yet paramount to chassis performance and dynamics. The neglect comes from the idea and belief, "if it's not busted, why fix or do anything about it."

IMO, $700 for a set of four springs and dampers is NOT expensive. There are car folks who drop FAR more than that on two tires for their "Performance ride".. and those tires last maybe one track day if even that.

Bernice

what those of us who enjoy the X 1/9 in its mostly stock configuration would really like to know from those who are swapping springs around and such: It is said that after several decades the stock springs -which cannot be purchase anywhere except in used and presumably sagged form- are lower than the Vicks short springs. Can anyone speak to that theory? I sure would like new springs, but I just don't want to go any lower than what I have (old stock) now.

Back