Targa Top Flew Off

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
I drove this morning to work and on the highway got up to around 75 mph. My X did great.
On the way home hit about the same speed on the highway and the targa just flew off. Everything was latched so I am confused as to why/how this could happen.
Any advice on how to fix the targa top so it will not do this again.
The targa is scratch but everything seems okay. Just glad it did not hit another car.
V/r, Mike

Just in time for me to be preparing for a car show too. Just what I needed right now.

Nebraska Mike

My guess, everything wasn't latched/hooked properly

Well Mike,

If everything was latched and hooked properly, the top won't fly off. I have put the top on before thinking all was well only to find out I was incorrect. Fortunately, the X was on a trailer and I only drove to a nearby gas station before I saw the problem. A gentleman at the next pump came over to look at the car and while we were walking around the trailer I caught a glimpse of daylight between the targa top and the targa bar on the passenger side. I doubt I would have seen the gap if the X wasn't up on the trailer.

I had both latches latched, but had only put one of the rear hooks into the holder. That probably would have caused a flyer on the highway at some point in my 11 hour drive home from FFO.

I guess another thing to check, since the car is new to you, would be general fitment. The rear hooks are adjustable. See if you can pull the roof off without unlatching the front latches. If so, the hooks may be set too far aft to provide a good grip.

ouch
I've forgotten to latch mine a few times, it will rattle to remind me but if it's adjusted to be snug it won't come up if latched, at the moment my rear hooks are junk so it rattles all the time, even so, if latched, it won't go anywhere. Make sure it's set up right. There's a little adjustablility in the rear hook catch plates (that screw into the targa bar) you can loosen the philip screws and move the plate a bit and re-tighten, you might want to check that.

JimD,
When I close the driver's side door the rear of the targa top rises a little and back down.
How do I adjust the hooks?
I should have thought about that issue but just assumed it was the seal.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

ouch
I've forgotten to latch mine a few times, it will rattle to remind me but if it's adjusted to be snug it won't come up if latched, at the moment my rear hooks are junk so it rattles all the time, even so, if latched, it won't go anywhere. Make sure it's set up right. There's a little adjustablility in the rear hook catch plates (that screw into the targa bar) you can loosen the philip screws and move the plate a bit and re-tighten, you might want to check that.

Going a little off topic, you can fix the rattle by wrapping the rear hooks with the soft side of velcro :)

Lookforjoe,
Thanks... I will try the Velcro.

JimD,
I will adjust the hooks as much as I can. I remember having the latches in place. I am OCD so I look all the time at them.

I am going to check the top thoroughly tomorrow. Right now it is in the front trunk. I will place it back on when I get to work. I will take back off when I drive back home. Just a little put out that this happened so I just left everything as is.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

I just loosened those screws, moved the plates ever so slightly back and tightened, install targa see how it fits, repeat. Make sure you have a properly sized screw driver so as to not strip those little devils. You can lube the rear hooks with some vaseline or something if they squeak.
Mine rattles because the hook itself is broken in two!
But man are my visors gorgeous!

Due to the curvature of the top there is a good amount of lift at higher speeds. I cut out one of my tops for weight reduction and stretched vinyl over it. The vinyl lifts quite a bit as the car goes faster.

I had the top come off on my 79 once. Years later I found someone bragging about reaching in and undoing the latches on some kid's car in highschool. turns out it was my car.. That kid could run fast..

I also was VERY glad no one was being me.. thinking back. their was not often people behind Me.. other they WAY, behind..

glad your's was not hurt. mine lost the two front latches. Had to get creative to make it work again.

When the latches are working properly....

The front latches draw the top down as well as very slightly forward as they close, causing the rear hooks to snug up firmly in their slots. The targa won't wiggle if you try sliding it around, and it will have zero play you try tugging it up at the front of either window opening. Driving down the road it may squeak, but it shouldn't flop or bang or rattle or let air in underneath - if it does, it's on its way to flying off.

Once you've gotten it adjusted right, you'll know it.

This once happened in the UK on a motorway and caused a serious accident to those travelling behind the X. It's too day to forget to latch the roof on sometimes.

Be vigilant folks!

Best wishes,

Mickey

Everybody,
I am so very lucky that no one was hurt. The little Scion that was tailgating me back way off my bottom after that...lol Scared the h e double hockey sticks out of him.
My top looks different than the ones posted here and the seals look home made.
Actually, I don't think this top is for my X. Might look into purchasing one. Several bolts are actually screws and the plastic/fiber underneath has been stripped out because of the screws. Don't know how to repair that.
Oh well, I am going to attempt to repair and replace some parts to make this top safe.
Thanks everyone... I need to do something before August 5. Maybe I can rent a nice top for someone here until after the car show :).
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

BTW,
What is a good price to pay for an 1986 style targa?
MWB has a really nice one but can't afford it at the moment. This will have to wait for about a month. Until then, fix as much as I can and drive with the top off. Only put it on when parked.

Also, looking at MWB site, mine is closer to what Matt is calling an 1973-1975.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

If the top is still good...

Mike

If your top is still functional, but has some scratches here and there. You could sand, fill, sand till your are happy, then hit the top with truck bed liner. The truck bed liner will give you some texture and be tough as well.

Why do you say your top is more like a 73-75?

$50 + shipping it's yours. Good condition. If your interested PM me and I can get you a shipping quote.

Happened once due to the front latch not properly set many decades ago. The top flew off on the freeway, ended up on the left lane shoulder area. Got off the next exit, went over to where the top rested, put it back on properly latched. The corner got dinged, otherwise that top was OK.

Never a problem if the top is latched properly.

Check all screw related to the top latch and their matching parts on the body is tight. They had decades to work loose. If any questionable hardware-screw are found, replace them and use Loctite 242 or low strength 222MS liberally where needed.

The top does not come un-done even at triple digit speeds unless the two front latches are NOT properly seated. If the latches are not properly seated, top lift off speed appears to be in the 50 to 70 Mph range.

Bernice

Due to the curvature of the top there is a good amount of lift at higher speeds. I cut out one of my tops for weight reduction and stretched vinyl over it. The vinyl lifts quite a bit as the car goes faster.

Any pics of the mod? interested in seeing how it looked....

Back