Pop up lights...

rocco79/138

True Classic
Back in 1981 when bought my new 1980 X1/9 I remember wishing I could turn the running or marker lights on (while the car was running) without having the buckets pop up. It had a rocker switch controlling the lights this switch went bad and I could rock it just so and the buckets would just cycle and since they ran independent of each other they would soon get out of sync so one was going up while the other was going down... This actually was pretty comical looking.... When I got my 1983 it had a slide switch. Either way none could light the markers without raising the buckets. Now on my '79 the buckets only come up when the headlights are on(second click on the switch) and they go back down if you click back to the first position. This is how I always thought they would work but never got bothered enough to do anything about it. Is this a '79 thing? Or just a strange fault in my car? Do not intend to change just curious...
Rocco

On My X's

My '75, My '78 and my '87 all behaved the same way.
OFF: all down and out
MIDDLE: Pods up, markers on, headlights out
ON: Pods up, markers and headlights on.

I am not aware of any non-modified X being any different.

It's a '79 (maybe '80) thing.

Im on my 2nd '79, and they both work as markers on, middle position on switch, buckets down. My previous '78 markers on, buckets up. My '80/81 carb'd...??? I don't remember ever trying it out. My '82 markers on, buckets up. So it's not just you that's an odd ball :wink2:

pretty easy to add a switch to "disable" the motors, not so easy to make it work elegantly but I like mine and use it a lot to leave pods down with parking lights on

Their is a post on this topic. I am interested in making this change as well.

From what I remember the post was talking about a single wire change in the fuse box.

Not sure what to search for.

Kinda surprised someone has not already sent a link to the topic.

Have a tough time believing anyone did anything to this poor car...

But yes, I think it is a very easy swap. All my other cars the buckets could be down with marker lights on if key was off. As soon as you turned key to run they pop up... I still have some electrical work and will snoop around. If I turn anything up will let everyone know. Lots about this old car is great... Almost hate to say but the nuts and bolts actually come off and can be reused! But two relays were bad! They looked great outside but not working. I harvested all the relays from the 86 they were grungy but they all worked. So I replaced the fan relay and fixed grounds fan is good but still need to check switch. Will just get new one. If I am taking it out I may as well just put a new one in... Beats doing a valve job BUT I could put my cam in at that point.... Think we just enjoy it for now!
Regards,
Rocco

Interrupt either the green/white or grey/yellow wire as it leaves the fuse box area headed towards the headlights, either cut one of them (no need to do both since they work together, if one goes the other follows) and run it to a switch then back again or get fancy and pull it off it's fuse then to a switch and add a new wire back to the fuse and you're set. Break the circuit and the lights won't come up, complete it and back to stock operation.
This is a bit from foggy memory as it's been many years now since I've messed with it. My PO had used two OEM hazard switches in the center console, he thought he had to do both headlight motor wires I guess, one is enough.
Can hit switch to open circuit and turn lights on park or full headlight and they stay down, throw switch to complete circuit and they pop, turn off lights (all the way off) and they come down.
Works okay, if you want to go from lights on pods up to lights on pods down it's clunky because you have to turn the lights all the way off to get the pods down, hit your switch to kill the pod motors, then turn lights back on. Not a big deal though.

headlights

I will have to find my notes on how I did it, but I believe I crossed some wires at the back of the h/l switch and had the motors in sync with the headlights.
gotta go....gotta look:grin:
mikemo

Back