My X Challenge

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
I have a few lights out on the X so I decided to pull the rear lenses. There was so much dirt on them it was acting like glue.
Anyway, took off the right brake lens and went to clean it...
2b764569c6e8cae7cf184dfcbce150fe.jpg

bb2404c373c7d06c03438650af5e0161.jpg

Man are these things fragile. I didn't even touch it and the hole just fell apart.
Ordered a U8 one from MWB along with the rear trunk cable that also broke recently.
Trying to keep it all together and running for the Local Air Force Base auto show in a few months.
Wish me luck... It would be the first X1/9 ever to be in the base show.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

Well Mike, God didn't build these cars, Italians did...

and they used Russian steel and who knows what for the vinyl's and plastics.

Still, for 30+ years old they do fairly well. Remember to just treat them gently like your girlfriend or wife. That usually works, unless you've been married for 30+ years or more...

Tony,
I have a son that is almost six year old. Treating things gently is a challenge for him.
As for the X condition, the PO did real well with regards to keeping everything looking good.
Anyway, three rear bulbs are now out and at least they are standard bulbs. I purchased Wagner bulbs from NAPA. The two I purchased yesterday work well and are much brighter than what is in there now (especially the blown ones...lol).
I hope the rest don't get jealous and decide to go out also.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

Now, I do not have a driver side brake light. Changed the bulb and checked the fuses and cleaned the contacts, nothing.
Is that bulb tied to the third brake light that I do not have hooked up?
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

Now, I do not have a driver side brake light. Changed the bulb and checked the fuses and cleaned the contacts, nothing.
Is that bulb tied to the third brake light that I do not have hooked up?
V/r, Mike

Start checking the wiring inside the trunk - several ways of disturbing the grounds and connections to one of the lights. I don't have a wiring diagram for the later years handy, but if it's like the early cars it's all one circuit so if one of the brake lights is working and the other isn't.... the problem is in the one.

If someone who knows the wiring of the later cars says something different..... Listen to them not me.

OK Mike... from the top. What year car do you have...

and do you have the correct wiring diagram for it?

Secondly... you make no mention of voltages or continuity. Do you have a test light or better yet a multimeter (VOM) and/or do you know and understand how to use them?

Don't be shy... just let us know and we'll walk you through the process(es).

With all the problems you are having I found it best to WHOLESALE everything and kinda begin afresh. I once had a '79 (White Fang) that probably had only 60% of its electrics working including a LF headlight that continued to go up and down.

I removed ALL my lenses and lamps and verified continuity through every lamp and with a Dremel tool, cleaned every socket and terminal with a fabric brush. When I was done, I had only ONE lamp that did not light! The only thing I would do different today is to replace EVERY lamp with a new one.

Incandescent lamps get duller with age and if you go to Walmart you can spend a lot less for name brand lamps.

Oh... have the 6 year old wash the lenses in a bucket of soapy water with a toothbrush, rinse them and dry, then wax them and buff.

Continue having FUN with your new HOBBY and include your son as often as you can.

EricH,
I am going to start tracing the wires tomorrow. Probably not a big deal. I really wanted to ensure the third brake light wasn't tied to it.
Tony,
I will change the light out again and then use my volt meter to measure the voltage from the working right and the non-functional left. I didn't have any current yesterday.
I really do not have many issues left with mech or elect. Going to hit the suspension next.
You ready VAS? I will be needing bushings...
There is a big fire in N. Minnesota that has blown into Nebraska. Very cloudy and hard to breath at the moment. I will hit the troubleshooting tomorrow.
Oh, still need to drop the steering column to fix the turn signals. Looks like another full day.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

Best to work your way back from the problem...

Your best bet is to first verify that you have no voltage at the suspect light. Make sure you find a good ground for the test. If no, you will have to pull the light assembly and start working your way backwards down that wire. I don't remember off the top of my head if the brake light or fed right to left or left to right. When I did my LED upgrades last year I had a similar issue with one of the brake light. Lots of cleaning and still no go, then it did work intermittently. Pulled the assemblies to trace and guess what, mouse damage, many wires chewed on shorting or almost gone. A few hours repairing and replacing bad wires and everything worked properly.

That troublesome light probably saved me bigger issues later as I found all the bad wires and got them repaired before they started overheating wires etc.

Good Luck,
PW

OMG!!! It turns out that I have 10.2 Volts at the connector ignition on but not engine. I have the original bulb blown and the new bulb that does not work. I changed again and viola... light.
Now, on to the suspension and the blinker at the steering column.
Thanks everyone. This was a lot for not... sorry. I learned, if you need a bulb buy 4 to get one that works.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

Heavy ham fisted 'Mericans

In all defense to the car,it must be stated that it's possible that the plastic broke because the previous owner tightened the screw too tight.

Again, this is the reason why I will allow no one to touch my car for any reason.

People just don't get how fragile these cars are..."touch it like it's made of tissue paper," I always say.

The law of the mighty is "might makes right," and that philosophy means stripped threads in aluminum castings, cracked plastic trim pieces, worn synchronizers, and metal fatigue at every potential flex point. Broken trunk lid hinges, hyper extended doors and door checks, cracked brackets that support the headlight door motors, broken door jamb latches for the rear panels, and on spiders, broken door hinges and checks, cracked crossmembers, it goes on and on.

These cars are primadonnas, and respond best to a gentle touch. If you treat them roughly they may self destruct before your very eyes, and the reality is they won't care.

Welcome to the world of Italian cars...

Last edited:
c snapp,
You are so correct. But my Kindergarten son wants to help. It really scares me to see a screw driver in his hands and he is putting the screws in the 30+ yr old lens...but at the same, I am encouraging him to help out. I would love to get him in the engine bay but he doesn't like getting any dirt on his hands or really any part of his skin.
Hard to get him to help when the X is so dirty.
Anyway, love him helping me. Precious moments I will never trade anything for,
V/r,
Mike

Nebraska Mike

Amen Mike... I still see my father's hands guiding mine...

as they were quite similar... and every time I take a peek at what I'm doing I remember him.

Priceless stuff.

Also... see if you can respond directly to a writer's message in a continuing thread. You seem to be responding to yourself and its difficult for the reader to follow going back and forth.

I see our Asian manufacturers gotcha with the bulb! Always check for continuity THROUGH the bulb and/or that it lights in a known socket. Well worth the time relative to what ya went through here...

Tony,
Sorry about the confusion... I will do better but sometimes in a hurry and just type to get the message out. I will do better, thanks.
Update;
I found out the rear trunk cable is harder than expected. The PO had a solid steel wire in pace of stranded steel cable and another small cable that went to a screw on the engine bay from the release hinge...(huh);
a831c472a5ce202dc5b3381ca0669afd.jpg

I replaced the cable with a MWB one but I cannot seem to get it in the trunk release hole. I will work on it again tomorrow.
Another note, I have the X in a car show and will be attempting to procure some stuff to dress her up a bit. I also joined a car club here. So, things are getting busier. That is great.
Can't wait to tell them about the wonderful support from everyone here.
See ya on the Workshop area.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

Back